PDA

View Full Version : talent in gangsta rap?

SevenStar
02-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Has anyone checked out the game's cd yet? I was impressed. I got tired of hearing 50 and g unit on almost every track, but the game has some serious talent.

Starchaser107
02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
I listened to the album online, I agree with you , it was pretty good. I'll probably buy it.

CaptinPickAxe
02-05-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm not trying to hate....

But I'm not really feeling The Game. Granted, he is the best by-product of G-Unit, but that isn't really saying much.

Did you know:
that there was a rift created by letting The Game take Young Buck's place in G-Unit?

SevenStar
02-07-2005, 09:32 AM
He shouldn't have to take his place - just allow them to spread out. buck is from nashville, the game from LA. that give a east coast, west coast and southern wing to g unit. Now, they need a crew in chi...

norther practitioner
02-07-2005, 10:25 AM
It all goes in cycles...

Mobb
Nore
etc... on the gangsta front.

CaptinPickAxe
02-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Nobody should take anyones place, but that doesn't stop the fact. Besides, Buck faces jail time...looks like he'll be joining Yayo (or maybe taking his place:p )

I think the whole gangsta thing is played out. It died with Pac and Big...That's why Deathrow went belly up. Look at gangsta now and gangsta then...Pac never did a dance song. That's why Snoop changed his style...Gangsta Rap is dead. It was cool in middleschool a.k.a. the early to mid 90s but it's faded. Any true gangster is dead or in jail...plain and simple.

norther practitioner
02-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Biggie was more versatile than that too... lol

He was one of the ogs of bling rap too....lol

CaptinPickAxe
02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
How many times have you heard Big sing about "Girl. Either you love me now...blahblahblah?"

Never...any reference to women was either positive i.e. his mother, or negative *****es and hoes. He never once sang a love song. As for the bling bling, that goes hand in hand with gangster lifestyle. You sell crack you get money, you ex-out a rival gang member and steal his territory to sell on you get money.

I think the day the gangster RAPPER tried to be the gangster SINGER it died. The only successful gangster singer is Devon the Dude, but you never hear about him.

EDIT:Successful in the sense that he pulls it off, not that he makes a living off of it

SevenStar
02-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
I think the day the gangster RAPPER tried to be the gangster SINGER it died. The only successful gangster singer is Devon the Dude, but you never hear about him.

Actually, we used to here about him quite a bit down here.

SevenStar
02-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Nobody should take anyones place, but that doesn't stop the fact. Besides, Buck faces jail time...looks like he'll be joining Yayo (or maybe taking his place:p )

you talking about the stabbing? I heard that charge got dropped.

I think the whole gangsta thing is played out. It died with Pac and Big...That's why Deathrow went belly up. Look at gangsta now and gangsta then...Pac never did a dance song.

correction - pac never did a dance song AFTER he went gangsta. when he was with digital underground, the ONLY tracks he made were dance songs...

Now, if you wanna talk gangsta rappers that didn't do dance songs, the first that comes to mind is spice1.

That's why Snoop changed his style...Gangsta Rap is dead. It was cool in middleschool a.k.a. the early to mid 90s but it's faded. Any true gangster is dead or in jail...plain and simple.

It's not dead - it's changed it's format some though, as it's transitioned from west coast to east. The gangsta rappers of today are cats like jada and southern heads, like TI.

SevenStar
02-07-2005, 09:15 PM
How many times have you heard Big sing about "Girl. Either you love me now...blahblahblah?"

Never...any reference to women was either positive i.e. his mother, or negative *****es and hoes. He never once sang a love song.

I know you seen me on the video (true)
I know you heard me on the radio (true)
But you still don't pay me no attention
Listenin to what your girlfriends mention
He's a ****, he's a hoe, he's a freak
Got a different girl every day of the week
It's cool, not tryin to put a rush on you
I had to let you know that i got a crush on you

NEVER??!??!

Starchaser107
02-07-2005, 09:43 PM
music is music, and if it sounds good it should get the credit that it deserves. Nowadays I'm less and less political about the things I appreciate. I really don't care if the Game is a gangster rapper or a lollypop selling queen his music sounds good.

CaptinPickAxe
02-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Lil' Cease made a huge impact on the Gangsta rap scene...:rolleyes:

All these cats sans Pac in the digital underground era never made an impact on the Gangsta rap world.

Pioneers:
N.W.A.
Ghetto Boys
2 Pac

Kristoffer
02-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I've only heard Game on that video he's in with 50. He got a little of that mumbling style too. we'll see what happens, maybe hes gonna drop something good who knows.

As for talents in gangsta rap - first that come to mind is NWA. look where they went. And look what dominates the mainstreem styles today - ''gangsta rap''. People who don't listen to hip hop thinks ALL hip hop is gangsta rap coz that's all u see on tv. So apperently, gangsta rap is popular.

SevenStar
02-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Lil' Cease made a huge impact on the Gangsta rap scene...:rolleyes:

dude... biggie did the hook. The disproves what you said about him not rapping in a "lovey dovey" aspect.... He has done it before.

All these cats sans Pac in the digital underground era never made an impact on the Gangsta rap world.

Pioneers:
N.W.A.
Ghetto Boys
2 Pac

Doesn't matter... point is that pac used to make dance songs. Big bad gang banging pac was a dancer and did dance songs... disproving one of your statements.

If you're gonna mention pioneers of gangsta rap, you HAVE to put Ice T in there - He was one of the first.

SevenStar
02-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
music is music, and if it sounds good it should get the credit that it deserves. Nowadays I'm less and less political about the things I appreciate. I really don't care if the Game is a gangster rapper or a lollypop selling queen his music sounds good.

agreed.

Yung Apprentice
02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Many ppl claim 50 as a "gangsta rapper" , so it can't be dead.

I think that as rap moves on, the distinction between styles is becoming blurred.

CaptinPickAxe
02-10-2005, 08:47 PM
If I like someone's style, then I could see past the material ****. That's why I like Pac and the other O.G.'s but these cats are cookie cutter emcees. I haven't heard any quailites I like...

SevenStar
02-11-2005, 09:01 AM
I can see that. That doesn't change the fact that it's gangsta tho...

I think yung is on to something. The lines are becoming blurred - like when it all began. Originally, there wasn't hip hop, gangsta, r & b rappers, etc. - It was all the same. As the lines are becoming blurred, it's headed back toward being the same.

chen zhen
02-11-2005, 10:53 AM
anyone remember me posting a thread about The Game? like 8 months ago, where i said "hes the next big thing".lol

him joining g-unit records was only a business decision from interscopes side, to give him promotion. he was signed to dr dres label before that. he might even leave g-unit after this album.

btw anyone realise hes the first westcoast artist to blow up like that since dres last chronic album? even xzibit and snoops 3 last albums didnt had such a buzz. it pays to be signed to interscope.

chen zhen
02-11-2005, 10:54 AM
btw im not really crazy about him and his album, i dont see much talent and he days the same things as any "gangsta rapper" from l.a. has said a 1000 times before. the production saved the album, even though it could have had more dre beats on there.

Starchaser107
02-11-2005, 11:50 AM
dude, u sure u live in denmark, u sure u don't live out in L.A.
cause..really :D

chen zhen
02-11-2005, 12:02 PM
music transcends all borders:D

Starchaser107
02-11-2005, 12:49 PM
word.

Kristoffer
02-12-2005, 11:22 AM
very true, very true

speaking of Xzibit, anyone heard his latest Weapons of Mass destruction? Never gave him any attention before but I like this one

Starchaser107
02-12-2005, 12:36 PM
ShaolinLube said he bought it and he liked it alot, he linked me to amazon.com they had a sampling of all the tracks on it. It was okay, not my cup of tea but good enough for me not to knock anybody who said they really really liked it.

MeatTosser
02-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Brother Ali, one of the best new emcees out there today. His LP, "Shadows on the Sun" is insanely dope. Everything on there man, raw lyrical skills, soulful beats (thanks to ANT from Atmosphere) originality, respect to the hip-hop elders, and powerful, introspective songs, like "Picket Fence" and "Room with a View". Raw hip-hop all the way. I've seen him rock a stage live too; he gets down. Plus the dude's Albino, haha, so that's a plus in its own insane way, lol. Shadows on the Sun is definitely one of the best LP's I've heard in a while. (It's been out for over a year already, by the way.)

Also, Immortal Technique, Revolutionary Vol. 2; the artwork on the cover alone will blow your mind, haha. And if anyone hasn't listened to "Dance with the Devil" from Revolutionary Vol. 1, go DO IT NOW. Trust me. Makes pretty much every other wanna-be "Thug" rapper look like a ****in' pansy.:cool:

Starchaser107
02-13-2005, 12:21 AM
got a link man?

MeatTosser
02-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Link to which? Brother Ali songs or Technique's "Dance with the Devil" track?

Starchaser107
02-13-2005, 10:37 AM
both I guess.

Yung Apprentice
02-13-2005, 05:42 PM
I picked up that new Do or Die, it was pretty good. They had a lot of Kanye West beats on there. I also picked up that Krayzie Bone cd, that sh!t was ill! Bone fell off a lot IMO, but this cd was tight from top to bottom. His single "Getchu Twisted" over a lil Jon beat and Krayzie snaps on that. I'm into a lot Midwest stuff if yall couldn't tell by now!

MeatTosser
02-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
both I guess.

Okay, for Brother Ali...
www.Rhymesayers.com

And for Immortal Technique...
www.ViperRecords.com OR www.ImmortalTechnique.com

I'm trying to upload "Dance with the Devil" and Brother Ali's "Room with a View", but it doesn't wanna work. Is the file too big or what? (Starchaser107, if I don't find a way to upload them here, maybe I can email them to ya, or through any Instant Messenger maybe.)

Also, anyone can buy these albums at...
www.sandboxautomatic.com
www.hiphopsite.com
www.amazon.com

Starchaser107
02-14-2005, 03:00 PM
word ,
thanks I'm a bounce

the best way to upload any size file is via www.yousendit.com and you can post the link to it here, or wherever you choose to use it in the future. peace, I'm off to train. I'll check out those links when i get back.

MeatTosser
02-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Okay, it looks like a good program, but it says in the first page that I have to put someone's email, the one whom I'm sending the file to I guess. Since I wanna post the link on here though, how would I go about doing that?

Starchaser107
02-14-2005, 06:48 PM
send it to yourself, your own email address, and use the link from the dl. site that they give you and post it here.

Starchaser107
02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm very much feeling Immortal Technique thanks for the links again.

MeatTosser
02-15-2005, 01:57 AM
No problem man, here are the tracks, I finally got them to work.

Brother Ali, Room With a View (http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2G3WZ6M56MPT53V5ZCG7NGEMKV)

Immortal Technique, Dance With the Devil (http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=27YDG8KCXQCS61GP4JCLZILTLE)

(There's also a hidden fierce hidden battle track featuring Diabolic, right after Dance with the Devil ends.)

MeatTosser
02-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Oh yeah, and here are a few clips of Technique doing his thing live (http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2QU0PAHJ0U0381S77J41O82H61)

Kristoffer
02-15-2005, 06:06 AM
nice, very nice

Starchaser107
02-15-2005, 11:17 AM
d@mn kid.
you chose 2 hard songs.
thanks.

MeatTosser
02-15-2005, 12:15 PM
No problem man. Haha, I love the verse on the freestyle with Diabolic,
"Your like Kevin Spacey, your style is usually suspect;
You never killed a cop, you not a mutha****in' thug yet;
Your mind is empty and spacious;
Like the part of the brain that appreciates culture in a racist;
Face it you're too basic..."
Insanely dope.

Did you guys check out the video footage already?

SevenStar
02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
immortal technique reminds me of that cat nature that used to rap with nas.

That freestyle at the end... DAYUM... that's all I can say...

MeatTosser
02-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Haha, yep, insane freestyle man. Just wait until he drops his new CD/DVD and right after, "The Middle Passage EP". Then he's dropping Revolutionary Volume 3, probably in early 2006. Also, just in case anyone is going to the Coachella Music Festival this year (April 30th-May 1st), he's gonna be there, along with Jean Grae, K-OS, Talib Kweli and Mos Def (BlackStar), Beans, Weezer, Coldplay, Zion I, and many others. www.coachella.com for details.

Yung Apprentice
02-24-2005, 02:36 AM
I couldn't hear his stuff. (my comp is retarded at the moment) Is that that cuban or puerto rican dude from NY? if so I've heard him before. He's pretty tight.

MeatTosser
02-24-2005, 05:18 AM
Yung Apprentice said:
Is that that cuban or puerto rican dude from NY? if so I've heard him before. He's pretty tight.

Heh heh, naw man, he's Peruvian and Black, and he's from Harlem, NY. You can read up on his bio at www.ViperRecords.com OR www.ImmortalTechnique.com (both take you to same website).
Anyway, those other links I posted are probably dead now, so I'm posting them up again.

Brother Ali, Room with a View (http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1MUXQ5PT9V1PS1BQQAIQO3SG9P) ; Shadows on the Sun LP

Immortal Technique, Dance with the Devil (http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1MUXQ5PT9V1PS1BQQAIQO3SG9P) ; Revolutionary Vol. 1 LP

Some Video Clips (http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2AITP4V9LC9RO1ZZOBP97SY31X) of Technique at live shows...

Also, I'm gonna add two more tracks this time... :cool:

Sly Boogy (feat. Saigon), Ridiculous (http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1C954NJTEOMGN3V8AZ1Q0MF70X) ; Judgement Day LP

Immortal Technique, Caught in the Hustle (http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MSCCVA6U6TBH3LC9AMBF10PT1) ; Can be found either on the Stronghold Mixtape Vol. 2, on 12" Single, or on the Mario Van Peebles film "Baaadaasss" Soundtrack.