PDA

View Full Version : Peaking with PTP?

IronFist
02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
If I'm doing PTP for Deadlift for the contest on March 12, in the last 7-10 days as the contest date approaches should I continue with strict PTP sets of 5, or should I start doing doubles and triples? Should I take the day before off? I need to train hard between now and then cuz I just had my wisdom teeth taken out and I lost 6-7 pounds (that's a lot for me) and some strength, too.

Ford Prefect
02-04-2005, 12:59 PM
I'd do the cycle leading up to it with 3x3's instead of 2x5's, and then start with a doubles and singles the week prior to comp. The week of (beginning March 7th) work up to a heavy single on M and perhaps Wed depending on how your nervous system is feeling. Go light on thursday and friday... no strain at all.

IronFist
02-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Cool. I'm still doing one set of 10 squats once or twice a week now (to try and regain some of the leg size I lost while recovering from having my teeth pulled) but I will cut that out during the second week phases of PTP when the weights get heavy and also during the last 10 days or so prior to the contest.

So for the 3x3, how should I cycle the weights? Say two weeks out I finish PTP at like 285 x 5 (just making up numbers here). If I was doing another standard PTP cycle again I would start at like 250 x 5 again. Since I will be doing 3x3s then how much weight should I start with? And how should I change the weight between sets? Is it all three sets with the same weight?

At the contest I'm aiming to pull 2x bw (no flames please, I know it's not much) which will be between 320-330 I'm assuming. As of today I'm 3 workouts into a new PTP DL cycle that began at 235 x 5. Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to try to work out my exact weights for every day up until the contest and then I'll post a screen shot of the Excel sheet. The only problem is I might have to work late some nights and miss the gym which would suck. But we'll see.

IronFist
02-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
The week of (beginning March 7th) work up to a heavy single on M and perhaps Wed depending on how your nervous system is feeling. Go light on thursday and friday... no strain at all.

How light is light? Like 60-70% of 1RM x 5? Just to grease the grove but not use much muscle?

I hope the contest isn't in the morning. I'll pull about 2lbs if it's early :D

What if when I work up to a heavy single I end up with a heavier weight on Monday than on the day of the event? Wow that would suck.

And then on contest day, are you aiming to tie your 1RM from Monday or are you attempting to set a new PR? I guess I'll just go by how I feel. Like 135 x 2, 225 x 1, 275 x 1, 3?? x 1, PR x 1.

I've seen cycles where they end with 102-105% 1RM on contest day. I think it'd be scary to try for a significantly higher 1RM on contest day. Like a few pounds higher, yeah, but not a lot more.

fa_jing
02-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Well you get 3 attempts, just like at a PL meet. So the last would be a PR at the least.

IronFist
02-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Cool. I've never been to a PL meet so I don't know.

Ford Prefect
02-05-2005, 06:34 AM
3x3 should be in a-typical PTP format. Set 1: 100%. Set 2: 90% Set 3: 90/85% (depending on how you feel) Start with how whatever weight would allow you to work up to a new 3RM at the end of the cycle.

Light is exactly what you said. You want to grease the the groove, but not significantly stress your CNS or musculature since the comp is the next day. Just stay relaxed. You'll probably blow away your old 1RM at the event. All the adrenaline and the intense focus... You'll do great.

IronFist
02-08-2005, 07:30 PM
How does this look? I just made this tonight based on the weight I'm using tonight and where I am in my cycle. Of course things might get changed as I go:

Peaking cycle (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ironfistx/PLpeaking.jpg).

IronFist
02-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Um I just got an email that the contest was changed to Sunday instead. wtf? Guess I'm not going out and partying on Saturday night then.

Ford Prefect
02-10-2005, 07:29 AM
That looks pretty good.

IronFist
02-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks.