PDA

View Full Version : Forms first or Forms after?

dzu
10-18-2001, 11:27 PM
Here's a question for the collective:

Do you feel that the forms should be taught first followed by appropriate concepts and applications for their 'level'?

OR

Do you feel that the concepts and applications should be taught separately at first, and the forms taught later as a summary of everything that they have learned previously?

Dzu

azwingchun
10-18-2001, 11:42 PM
I think they should be shown first while learning the concepts. I think if a student learned the concepts then the form last, many not so serious students would lose interest. I think they would feel like "hey, I know this stuff already" and the form would be boring to them or even a waste of time. You know what I mean....."why learn the form I already know the principles?" ;)

old jong
10-19-2001, 12:33 AM
I think you should learn the form (slt)as soon as possible while learning techniques and drills.There are things no words can explain only the never ending practice of forms can teach.You will learn from slt all your life.You will always go back to it.

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

straight blast
10-19-2001, 02:22 AM
Forms first! Doing the Choy lay Fut forms day in day out allowed me to hold horse stance for 20 minutes a day every day when I trained CLF. They just teach good...form. Even to teach them simultaneously would be better than to learn the forms last. The way I figure it is that the old masters made their students learn forms first, so they must have had a reason.
But especially in Wing Chun!!! If nothing else SLT teaches that WC stance, which to me is horribly unfamiliar ('cos I'm a Thai Boxer) and made me feel totally vulnerable. But training that form is giving me a real appreciation of that stance.
Forms=good :D

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

reysem
10-23-2001, 05:07 AM
I think individual techniques like punching, tan sao, bong sao, etc should be taught first. The drills will be taught next to show the application of the techniques. After learning a few techniques, the SLT form may be taught. I agree that if the SLT form is taught first, new students may loose interest. They just couldn't comprehend how SLT can be used in fighting.

Sharky
10-23-2001, 06:34 AM
imho, i think the forms should be taught after they've been taught after they have a basic grasp of basic stance, changing centre line guard (wu sau man sau) and/or centreline punch.

Then get them doing the forms!

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

reneritchie
10-23-2001, 07:20 PM
Hey Dzu,

We learned basic San Sik (Separate Forms) before we started the Kuen To (Boxing Sets). We did about 3 months of front punch, turning punch, and stepping punch first. Lots of 2-person work to go with it to develop the horse and the connection. Looking back, I'm pretty happy with that. 8)

Rgds,

RR

S.Teebas
10-24-2001, 06:26 AM
I think it is good to just to get the student to first memorise the form, i mean that is all they can really do!

Then, if you want to teach applications (This is ok for self defence purpose but for learning the system I would not do it this way) it can in a way allow the system to unfold before the students eyes. In the fact that as they learn that the applications; what they are learning is all in the form (they will see this IF they look). This way they may appreciate the SLT for what it is!

S.Teebas