PDA

View Full Version : Question on figuring Protine content of diet

Royal Dragon
02-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Ok, I have seen a number of different recomendations as to what % protine your diet should have. The Gymnastics crowd my daughter used to train in recomends 35% protine 45% carbs, and the balance is healthy fats and oils.

So, if I wanted to stick to that 35%, how would I measure my diet in the simplest adn most caveman way possible?

Would a diet of 50% raw veggies, and 50% meats work? This is taking into account that meats have other things like oils and fats in them, and are not pure protine.

Any ideas?

Vash
02-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Eat nothin' but straight meat and veggies? Sounds good. Make sure it's more fish and chicken than red, though.

And it's protein, not pro-TINE.

:D

Mo Lung
02-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Err... Fruit? Grain? Nuts? Etc.?

Vash
02-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Ah, yes, indeed.

Of course, when a body makes the decision to go "meat and veg" in their dietary path, often these things find their way to the dinner table.

But yeah, what he said.

rubthebuddha
02-05-2005, 10:44 PM
when a body makes the decision to go "meat and veg" RD made the decision to go meat and veg a long time ago -- he just hasn't admitted it yet. :D

as far as stuff on the din-din table, meat and veg is great, but you should get SOME grain in there, if only to make sure you're getting enough fiber as well as the vites and mins that naturally come in a biscuit.

as far as fruit and nuts, maybe you should do those for your snacks. it'll help make sure you get enough of the good fats, as well as a better sugar complex than, say, a kit kat.

mmmmmmmm, kit kat.

Royal Dragon
02-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Ok, got all that. BUT, what is an easy, no brainer way to figure the percentge of protine in each meal?

rubthebuddha
02-07-2005, 08:14 PM
is no such method.

learn the average amount in a serving size for the typical protein source, learn how big a serving size, and apply the knowledge. it'll take a few meals, but eventually, you'll get the hang of it.

Toby
02-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
is no such method.What rub said. But (like he said) it's just maths. I eat lots of meat and most meats are around 20-25% protein. So I go with 20%. I.e. a ~200g piece of meat contains around ~40g protein. Or, in American, a 1/2lb steak contains around ~45g protein. Given the choice and my propensity to a nice cut of meat I usually go for 300g of meat at dinner time. Often closer to 400g. Expensive, but I love meat.

Mo Lung
02-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Meat lover.