PDA

View Full Version : Form Fighting

straight blast
10-19-2001, 02:16 AM
I've found the only way to successfully incorporate moves from forms into actual fighting requires you to dominate and direct the fight RIGHT from start to finish. While this is the ideal, it's obviously not always the case, i.e. when two guys attack you outside the pub one night. Anybody got any ideas on this? Any story of successful application of form fighting in a street fight?
Anyone just feel like rubbishing form fighting? All ideas welcome. :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

yenhoi
10-19-2001, 02:56 AM
eventually 'moves from forms' become automatic after a certain period of practice - that is in fact the goal.

strike!

kala_notoz
10-19-2001, 03:18 AM
"Eventually 'moves from forms' become automatic after a certain period of practice - that is in fact the goal."

I don't really think being able to respond automatic with 'moves from forms' is the goal of practicing forms. Responding automatically is more the goal of practicing techniques over and over again. I think the forms are more for developing a good root and center and what not....

CanadianBadAss
10-19-2001, 03:26 AM
lalalalaaaaaaaaaa

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

CanadianBadAss
wtf

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

CanadianBadAss
y the **** does it say my name is yo u go?

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

CanadianBadAss
10-19-2001, 03:27 AM
did my bro do that? im going to kick the **** out of him

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

CanadianBadAss
10-19-2001, 03:27 AM
but im still confused, even if changed my name, it wouldnt say 1 post....

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

CanadianBadAss
10-19-2001, 03:28 AM
can some one explain this to me? i made that post

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

CanadianBadAss
10-19-2001, 03:32 AM
it says my email is sunset girl... WTF is up with that

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

CanadianBadAss
10-19-2001, 03:33 AM
hmmm... maybe my sister? but shes to stupid do somthing like that...

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

EmptyCup
10-19-2001, 03:35 AM
Sunset girl?

:D muhahahahahahahahahahahah lolllllllllllll

ok.

CanadianBadAss
10-19-2001, 03:35 AM
i know... i was using the old computer and it was already logged in for me when i made that post, so my bro must of made an account...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

Gluteus Maximus
10-19-2001, 05:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've found the only way to successfully incorporate moves from forms into actual fighting requires you to dominate and direct the fight RIGHT from start to finish. [/quote]

What it sounds like you're saying is that the forms you've learnt in the past are a set of choreographed moves that you perform in a fight in a prearranged order. Is that what you're saying?

Well, Wing Chun isn't like that at all! The forms of WC (+ chi sao and other drills) help instil principles that are used instinctively in a fight.

Wing Chun trains you to move efficiently, to position yourself correctly in relation to your opponent, to unlock power through relaxation and proper body coordination, to focus and direct that power into your movements through intent, to understand your own energy and to feel your opponent's energy and intent.

In a fight, you focus on directing your power into the centre of an opponent after making contact, automatically and subconsciously flowing around or through (depending on the interplay of energy) any resistance he puts up.

Max

Yooby Yoody

straight blast
10-19-2001, 07:42 AM
Yeah Gluteus, I was talking about the "5 wheel fist" from Choy lay Fut & the "Shooting Stars" from the same system. Wing Chun's SLT is definately a completely different deal altogether. My CLF instructor actually taught me some of the SLT as a "know the opposition" sort of thing. The "Shooting Stars" is awesomely effective, IF you can dominate the fight.
Starting Wing Chun fulltime in 4 months. Can't wait. :)

yenhoi
10-19-2001, 06:51 PM
When I said 'moves from forms' I was assuming the original poster was speaking about specific techniques... not specific sequence of moves.

Yes, you do perform a 'tan-sau' much like it is represented in the forms - even though some would argue there are three different tan-saus, and some would argue that tan-sau is more of a general principle - etc - there have been plenty of threads on this forum concerning this.

I would never suggest performing the first, second, third, or dummy forms on an opponent.

strike!

Gluteus Maximus
10-20-2001, 05:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yeah Gluteus, I was talking about the "5 wheel fist" from Choy lay Fut & the "Shooting Stars" from the same system. Wing Chun's SLT is definately a completely different deal altogether. My CLF instructor actually taught me some of the SLT as a "know the opposition" sort of thing. The "Shooting Stars" is awesomely effective, IF you can dominate the fight.
Starting Wing Chun fulltime in 4 months. Can't wait. [/quote]

Hi Straight Blast,

Interesting stuff, re the CLF forms.

The full-time Wing Chun study sounds great, very in-depth. Can't go wrong with that, I'd say. All the best with it. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Max

Yooby Yoody

straight blast
10-21-2001, 02:01 AM
Will Do!

jameswebsteruk
10-21-2001, 01:06 PM
Yep, the forms are definitely meant to be learned as pools of knowledge, of concepts and principles, rather than a series of technique to be learned in a set order.

Wong Shun Leung for example, used to say it didnt matter how many times you do a particular move in the forms, if you wanted to punch 4 or 400 times at the end of SLT, that was fine. He also used to rearrange the order of some of the sections in the dummy. The order is not important, the moves themselves were.

The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!