PDA

View Full Version : Introspection

SPJ
02-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Introspection or self examination.

It is not only a method of self improvement, meditation or prayer.

It is also very important for MA study.

When we assume a stance, we have to think and check the position of the feet, the hip, the back and the neck aligned correctly. Qi focuses on Dan Tian. Eyes looking where, hands positions and intents.

If a ballet dancer would have a mirror on the wall to check his or her posture.

Yes, video tape ourself and analyze ourself.

If we have a teacher to correct us, good. But the teacher may not be there all the time.

Yes, introspection is very important in learning and improving.

Tactics and strategy. So how does the move do in terms of fighting apps? What are the limits? Conditions for it to work. What are the weakness, disadvantage or exposing vital areas?

How to counter your move? How to counter the counter move?

Notes and after notes. Self examinations after self examinations.

The movie title "Are we there yet?"

Noooope. answered the kids.

:D

SPJ
02-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Do you self exam?

How do you check yourself?

How do you analyze your posture and moves?

Speed, transitions, etc?

We may be quick to critique others and even the teacher.

Do we ever know ourself and critique ourself?

Are we doing everything right ourself?

How do we know?

David Jamieson
02-07-2005, 07:56 AM
The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates

When I was younger, I was overly analytical of my self and wasted reems of time wondering about inconsequential things.

When playing with the air, most analysis of kungfu is a waste of time as well, not that one shouldn't play with the air, just that one shouldn't invest so much in the analysis of air play.

the analysis typically comes with the application of what you played in the air with, and how you can train it differently to get a more desired effect.

SPJ
02-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Agreed.

There are a lot of students so quick in judging the teacher and the fellow class mates.

If we would apply the same level of scrutiny to ourself?

A while back, there was video thread on Tai Ji. It was videoed 10 years ago. The guy came to the west and was about to teach. He asked everyone else to critique him. He has improved himself since 10 years ago. He knew some of the mistakes and corrected them since then.

My point is that apply the same ruler to measure ourself and others.

PangQuan
02-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Good topic,

I definately agree with you two. The larger the amount of inner scrutiny, the larger the odds are of you finding your faults and fixing them, in turn improving your gongfu. I think a major factor in improvement is utilizing the tool that those of us who are lucky enough to attend schools have, other students, and teachers. Constantly asking for points and noticed faults are a very effective impliment on the ladder of personal success. Of course you have to know who to ask. There is an old japanese method of skill attainment which involves the understanding of fault, first in this chain is the understanding of others, then comes the understanding of the self. This is a point we must all realize before we can claim true greatness.

PangQuan
02-07-2005, 02:21 PM
SPJ, i just noticed your quote, did i accidentally jack someones handle?

SPJ
02-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi;

No.

I was just quoting from your post as a sig.

:D

PangQuan
02-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Oh, LOL, i thought that might be it, but i didnt remember saying that. Ha, shows what I know. Thanks though that makes me feel good, someone actually read something i wrote.

Starchaser107
02-07-2005, 02:45 PM
spj, is a very deep chap.

PangQuan
02-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
spj, is a very deep chap.

copy that.