PDA

View Full Version : I Saw an Aikido Sparring Session on TV

SimonM
02-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I really hope that the TV show was just showing a poor school because I was unimpressed. They literally run straight into the throws with their arms outstretched. The defending partner WILL ALWAYS get the pretty looking throw because the "attacker" assists them in doing it. Is any Aikido training done against a resisting or rooted partner?

blake
02-06-2005, 12:07 PM
When I was deciding what martial art to take I saw a fantastic Aikido demonstration, it was hardly choreographed and my friend went full force at a 50 year old man and was thrown a considerable length, it's a wonderful art but I'm glad I went with kung fu.

Samurai Jack
02-06-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm glad I went with Aikido after years of kungfu. To each his own. Although I don't regret a bit of the kungfu I did, it was awesome stuff.

As far as resisting is concerned, I suppose it depends. There comes a point where the pain and leverage of a technique is too great and at that point you are under the Aikidoka's control. It dosen't sound like that's what you are talking about though. Care to share the name of the show?

oasis
02-06-2005, 08:37 PM
sounds like simon is describing how often in an aikido demo, when the uke strikes, he does so in such a way as to make himself blatantly open to the nage's defense. i admit that it sometimes can be too much (in conveying the practicality of aikido) IMO, but it depends on the demonstrators. i think if you watch good randori you can appreciate it the aikidoka's repertoire more.

however, as samurai j suggested, when an attacker in real life makes a move, he will not be able to resist past a certain point. it is this point where the trained uke can 'roll with the throw' to nullify the force, whereas the untrained attacker would either be disabled, or if he tried to resist, would probably have a 20-1 chance that he will go the wrong way and invariably break a bone or two. this is based on the complexity of the intricate "spiralling" joint techniques in aikido.

Mr Punch
02-07-2005, 05:24 AM
What SJ and oasis said...

exceeeeeeept... unfortunately because most aikidoka don't practice any set-ups in their aiki, they would have little chance of pulling off those so-called breaking moves against someone who is trying to take their heads off. Sure the uke is giving themself to the technique to avoid damage, but that doesn't mean that same technique's going to work against somebody who doesn't give themselves up. Quid pro quo. Er, que sera sera. Arse brevis and all that.

PangQuan
02-08-2005, 10:00 AM
I always wondered about aikido, do you go for any opportunity to "throw" someone, when it is presented, and if so, what if someone "set" you up? Do you have a defense in case you were "set" up and your "throw" actually backfired due to premeditated entrapment? Just curious, not trying to dog aikido, i think it is a tight style. :D