PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai NYC please

kyklos
02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Hey fellow New Yorkers i'm looking for some good Muay Thai places in the city. I was thinkin i would complement my Shaolin San Da with muay thai and maybe some BJJ training later.

But for now any good Muay Thai references in the city. I'm just startin to look around but as you guys know there's literally thousands of MA places in the city.

Just lookin for some good contact training (sifu says no :( :) ) that i can't get at the temple, Muay Thai style.

SevenStar
02-07-2005, 10:25 PM
you do san da without contact?

lkfmdc
02-07-2005, 10:34 PM
it's that special "Shaolin San Da". no sparring, no contact....

it's too bad he's in NYC, I mean, he's stuck in a place that doesn't have a "big 7" San Da team... oh, wait..... :rolleyes:

kyklos
02-07-2005, 10:38 PM
We punch and kick pads that others hold. I guess thats technically contact.

Though in my mind contact martial arts is a little along the lines of "Fight Club" with pads and a little restraint. I think thats when you really start learning things that endless drills of punching and kicking wont teach you. I'm not saying drills are bad, its just that they teach you one thing where as actual fighting teaches you another. Its more instinctual, primal. Drills teach endurance and discipline. Yin, Yang.

Gotta train that reaction impulse somehow:D

kyklos
02-07-2005, 10:48 PM
it's too bad he's in NYC, I mean, he's stuck in a place that doesn't have a "big 7" San Da team... oh, wait.....

hey bud i definetly plan to come over to the nysanda gym. You guys look totally sweet.

Just out lookin for some Muay Thai style. Right now all i know is the Kung-fu scene and i'm tryin to expand it to other ones. Gotta have a good idea of whats out there. After all this city is HUGE.;)

SevenStar
02-07-2005, 10:51 PM
I thought that only ninjas were totally sweet?

norther practitioner
02-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Ninjas and sifu Ross... lol, ok now we have two things on the list.

lkfmdc
02-07-2005, 10:59 PM
I have a stange feeling about being "totally sweet", as if my school needs to move to chelsea or the village or something?

norther practitioner
02-07-2005, 11:00 PM
hey man, thats prob. a demographic that you haven't tapped yet.

kyklos
02-07-2005, 11:31 PM
totally sweet = a ring, lots of heavy bags, tons of equipment, actual sparring

Din Gao
02-08-2005, 06:51 AM
Kyklos,

Try Kru Phil Nurse at thewat.com or Master K (www.masterkelbowko.com), both offer excellent Muay Thai instruction.

Water Dragon
02-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Dave Ross is the cat's meow.

blake
02-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by kyklos
We punch and kick pads that others hold. I guess thats technically contact.

Though in my mind contact martial arts is a little along the lines of "Fight Club" with pads and a little restraint. I think thats when you really start learning things that endless drills of punching and kicking wont teach you. I'm not saying drills are bad, its just that they teach you one thing where as actual fighting teaches you another. Its more instinctual, primal. Drills teach endurance and discipline. Yin, Yang.

Gotta train that reaction impulse somehow:D
Your at Shaolin Overseas right, Who teaches san da at the flushing branch?

Ultimatewingchun
02-08-2005, 02:59 PM
kyklos:

Check out page 20 of the VIDEO FOOTAGE thread on the WING CHUN forum. (That thread might be listed on page two of the Wing Chun threads at the current time).

When you get to page 20...look for the post entitled VICTOR'S CONTRIBUTION...and check out the 5 video clips.

And in fact, I'll be filming again this Saturday and plan to post more clips.

We do lots of Traditional Wing Chun contact sparring with protective gear - and I also teach Catch-as-Catch-can Wrestling...so it's a MMA approach.

My school was located on Broadway for many years (in the Chinatown/Tribeca area) - but is now located directly under the Manhattan bridge in Brooklyn.

The first stop into Brooklyn on the F train gets you there. (York street).

If interested...contact me via email: wingchun@usa.com