PDA

View Full Version : Portable mook jong?

Jeff Liboiron
10-20-2001, 08:40 PM
has anybody here made or bought a protable mook jong? if so i would appreciate it if you could tell me how it's made, and the materials you used to make it. The reason i'm asking is because in two years i may have to go to another university to finish my degree, and can't bring the one i have now. as it is cemented into the ground. :)

IronFist
10-20-2001, 10:04 PM
Buy a piece of 8 inch PVC pipe (make sure you get the right thickness... one is 8.6 inches in outside diameter, the other is a bit smaller. I believe the one you want is called "schedule 80", but it might be "schedule 40").

Cut arm and leg holes. You can buy new limbs if you want, or take the ones from your current dummy. Buy them from www.wooddummy.com (http://www.wooddummy.com) (asheville woodcrafters).

Build a frame. You're done. Total cost:

pipe: $35-$40
limbs: free if you use your own, $170 after shipping from asheville woodcrafters.

Frame: probabaly $40-50 for all the wood.

Good luck!

Iron

Jeff Liboiron
10-21-2001, 01:36 AM
Thanks a bunch Ironfist :)

chongnoi
10-21-2001, 01:36 PM
Check out the portable wooden man made by Springtime martial arts ( springtimemartialarts.com ) It cost only around $200 and even though it is a little different design, works quite nice. One of my students has one and works out on it everyday. It is nice for a college dorm room because it does not take much space, can be easily mounted to a loft frame, and makes hardly no noise at all when working out on it.

Mokujin
10-22-2001, 01:41 AM
Jeff-

Just a heads up, building a wooden dummy is quite time consuming and tedious if you're not a guy who works with wood already (like me). I don't want to discourage you, but expect to put a good deal of time into it. The more you put in, the better quality your dummy will be.

IronFist makes a good point- use 8" PVC pipe with traditional wooden arms. Pipe that size is sometimes hard to find, but here are your best bets: (1) Largest plumbing company in your area might have scrap pieces 5 feet long or so. (2) This pipe is usually found around building constuction sites- ask the foreman if they have any left over you can haul away for them (3) Sometimes pipe this size can be acquired at Home Depot/ Lowe's, but usually requires an order of 20 feet which is way expensive (price averages $6.25 a foot or so).

Now for a bit of plugging of my own ;). You can buy the arms for $130 (including shipping) at Woodendummy.net (http://www.woodendummy.net/access.html) . You can always build your own arms, which is difficult, but possible even if you don't have a lathe. Also, Woodendummy.net is a great source for mook jong measurements.

I'm working on my 2nd dummy. Most important tools are a drill and jigsaw. You're also need Sharpie markers, duct tape, sand paper, string and several other items.

Hope I wasn't too long winded- email me if you have further questions. Also, I've put together various construction plans and pics of dummies found online into my Yahoo Photo Album (including pics of my first wooden dummy- which wasn't that great). Check it out here: hacker_jones02 Yahoo profile (http://profiles.yahoo.com/hacker_jones02)

(Once at my photo album, you must click the link that says '7 hidden items'. For some reason Yahoo hides these folders even though I have made them public)

Good luck and peace!
:D

[This message was edited by Mokujin on 10-22-01 at 04:56 PM.]

Jeff Liboiron
10-22-2001, 03:51 AM
Thanks alot Mokujin :)

Yeah i built my own dummy as soon as a started, the first 2 busted with in 3 weeks, but the one i have now is really strong. I got a big wooden post, cemeted it three feet into the ground, and stuck some arms in it. It may not be the best lookin, but it works great!!!! :) Although the wood is starting to crack, but it'll be along time before the post breaks, but i did break one of the arms last week, so i just threw in a new one :)

Chuk Hung
10-22-2001, 09:42 PM
Check out www.immortal-usa.com (http://www.immortal-usa.com)
They make dummies that are portable, I got one. It is not made of wood, but is made of high density plastic. It feels, and ways as much as a real dummy made of wood. Good luck!