PDA

View Full Version : Help on a technique

red5angel
02-08-2005, 01:13 PM
It's capoeira related but there may be a few of you who do something like it in another art.

Put yourself in a squat position, then reach back with one arm, either arm, doesn't matter. Plant that hand directly behind you and then spring up, flipping over that hand and land in a sem-standing position.

I can do it but it's so explosive that I don't get the smoothness and it looks sloppy. I'm trying to find some tricks to slow it down. I think most of the power generation is in the hips.

PangQuan
02-08-2005, 01:19 PM
how often do you practice bridge stretch, and back handspring? There are probably a few different methods of bridge stretching (ways of going into and coming out of) that might help you with your problem. Personally I have not tried that one, but I will start. I am at work now so i cant this moment. :mad:

red5angel
02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I do bridge stretching anytime I stretch. I'm sure flexibility has something to do with it so I'm working that!
As for back hand springs, I've never done one. I figure this technique is actually a good starting point for one though!

PangQuan
02-08-2005, 01:22 PM
OH OH!! maybe one arm hand stand pushups will help you.

SaekSan
02-08-2005, 01:36 PM
If it's the technique I'm thinking of, the hand is used mostly as support and the thighs provide the power for the flip. The trick with this (and any other backflip method) is felxibility and steadiness. To make the technique smooth out you must control the whole body as you do it. When I used to do that stuff it always helped to have a spotter and think about going as slowly as possible. Once you reach the apex of the movement tuck the knees in and get yourself in a ball shape that will slowly strighten the body out... dang it's hard to explain this in words!

Smoothness will come out of flexibility, control, balance and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope... well maybe not the last thing ;)

Good luck!

:)

red5angel
02-08-2005, 03:52 PM
The power generation has been described to me colorfully as "humping the sky". When you go to flip, you thrust your hips upwards. I can do that, but it's sloppy and doesn't feel quite right yet. I'm powering through it too much.

PangQuan
02-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Hows that tech comin Red?

No_Know
02-12-2005, 02:04 PM
There might be some things one does perfectly first time out. But for others It takes doing. You do it technically correct and feel awkward. Keep it-up, but ityou get accustomed to it but it stiil looks far from perfect. Those who seem to do it super well might be flawed but same as you. Same technique, it's about refinement. Keep doing what you are doing. as you get more comfortable with it you will likely see improvements--I keep veering left. Shifting weight her and altering the bend here more acutely should counter that veering...a lot of these might happen but you just get better. For now you are Focused on smootheness and won't necessarily notice any progress. Keep doing it you will automatically get better (as long as you have Good/Perfect in mind).

At my stage of being when I did it. I went to the side far enough that I could touch and still have my feet flat on the ground. I wave with my left hand passing right breast, right shoulder, face, then continue the arc down. As my left passes my face-right jaw, nose, left eye