PDA

View Full Version : cheap thick handled dumbbells

ketchup
02-08-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a thick handled dumbbell to practice side press and windmills with (and maybe saxon side press). The one's in the Ironmind catalog start at 130$ a pair. Any tips on buying cheap ones somewhere or taking normal dumbells and making them thick handled? thanks-

Toby
02-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Buy some 2" pipe and hire a welder (or get a buddy who can weld and has a welder). Buy the dumbbell weight you want. Cut off the handle with an angle grinder or the welder. Weld on the new handle. Put some grip tape on the pipe handle.

ketchup
02-08-2005, 10:19 PM
One idea I have is to buy a regular dumbell with collars where you can add/substract weight and put a bunch of duct tape around it until its thick handled- think that'd work? The above response is a bit complicated for me, plus ideally I would be able to change the weight on the thing and not have it fixed-

Toby
02-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Sure. I read about that method I think in Brookfield's "Mastery of Hand Strength". One guy used to do a particular exercise and each day add another wrap of tape until the handle was e.g. 2" thick. That way grip was gradually increasing.