PDA

View Full Version : Where to look when doin chi sau?

Jeff Liboiron
10-22-2001, 12:50 AM
What part of the body do you guys look at when doing chi sau? or do you look at it at all?

dlew308
10-22-2001, 12:53 AM
I think one just learns to feel off the other person. You'll see people do it blindfolded.

CanadianBadAss
10-22-2001, 01:30 AM
I usually try to look past the person and don’t really focus on anything. But if I'm training with a hottie its a whole other story... ;)

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

tnwingtsun
10-22-2001, 02:16 AM
I try to look to the side,or not look at all.
Or not think at all,I'm training reflexes,not sight.

I think there is a link to what Old Jong said
about meditation/SLT and chi-sao.

http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=769195302&m=5801902313

But then again,I'm no expert. ;)

dedalus
10-22-2001, 04:22 AM
I look over my opponent's shoulder into the distance (as do the rest of the guys I train with) - its even more important to do so with someone who's good!

There might be a physiological reason to recommend this strategy. The receptors in your central, high-resolution visual field (foveal vision) aren't as sensitive to movement as the receptors for your peripheral visual field. That's why you get those vision disorders where people can see traffic but don't know whether it is moving towards them or not. The foveal field is only about 2 degrees, and the closer you stay to its edge, the better your peripheral vision. Thus, by casting your eyes off by 5-15 degrees and ignoring the central field, you maximise your sensitivity to movement. Moreover, you don't lose too much detail - some partially blind kids can even read 12pt print using this strategy! Most of us use it too (in a way) when we're looking at the stars and have to cast our gaze slightly aside to see them properly. In that case its because the periphery has more rods, but you get the idea that it can be effective.

Using this method alows you see more movement that you otherwise might, but you still have to feel it to really know what's going on. It helps to remember that chi sau is a training method and not a competition.

For those of you who like the competitive stuff, though, I've found that it can really unsettle certain players if you're peppering them with strikes but not even lookinbg at what you're doing :cool:

[This message was edited by dedalus on 10-22-01 at 07:47 PM.]

Gluteus Maximus
10-22-2001, 04:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What part of the body do you guys look at when doing chi sau? or do you look at it at all? [/quote]

Sometimes I use my third eye to look inside the head of my partner to know how they are going to act before they even do themselves!

Other times I just look at their face because we are usually talking about movies, music, women, football or world events while we're chi saoing.

Max

Yooby Yoody

Martial Joe
10-22-2001, 04:31 AM
I look at the upper chest...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

fgxpanzerz
10-23-2001, 05:44 AM
ersttertre

whippinghand
10-23-2001, 03:29 PM
You're being serious, aren't you?

Gluteus Maximus
10-23-2001, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You're being serious, aren't you? [/quote]

Haha! Your question about seriousness is a funny one indeed! I like that WH!

Max

Yooby Yoody

EmptyCup
10-23-2001, 07:54 PM
I look at my opponent's chest area...that way, I can see lower attacks with peripheral vision as well as any other normal high attacks. If I were to look at my opponent's eyes, I wouldn't be able to see lower because of the close distance and I sure as hell wouldn't be able to "read" where he'll hit me next!!! I doubt most trained people look at where they want to hit before they do so, and I sure as hell don't think anybody could read that miniscule shift in an opponent's eyeball...and proceed to block the oncoming attack

edward
10-23-2001, 07:57 PM
look into his eyes and through his soul

whippinghand
10-23-2001, 08:33 PM
;)

tiger_1
10-24-2001, 01:08 AM
chi sao whan you can do with impulse speed, and you can use animal instict for more speed than chi sao have real dimension and real efectif so is have metamorfose face (many face in one) batlle or fight is that speed so opponent cant see noting ....( AFTER THAT GOOD EXPRESO AND ACUA MINERALIKA ) just friendly tiger_1 ;)

/