PDA

View Full Version : Training in Toronto

lifeboy
02-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi,

I realize, in looking through some of the older threads, that this has been discussed to some extent in the past, but I would appreciate some thoughts/input on Kung Fu options in downtown Toronto.

I have been training some internal Kung Fu (Bak Fu Pai and Bak Mei) the last couple of years and I trained Kempo before that.

I am moving to Toronto in a few months and I think I will be living quite close to the Hong Luck school (Choi Li Fut) so, for anyone who trains there, I would greatly appreciate as much info as possible on this school (costs, how do you like it, class structure etc). I know CLF is different from what I have done in the past, but I'm open to learning somthing new.

Also, does anyone know if there are any Bak Fu Pai or Bak Mei training halls in TO?

Thanks for your help!

David Jamieson
02-13-2005, 09:52 AM
right around teh corner from Hong luk, you will find the national fut gar association. (it's on augusta, right around the corner)

Further down the street you will find the Kuo Min Tang association which is also the HQ for Jing Mo in Toronto. There, you can learn Hung Kuen.

If you head out towards Scarborough, you'll find Sunny tang Martial arts which teaches traditional wing chun kungfu as well as contemporary wu shu.

There is also Lee Chi Wai Shaolin Kungfu school which teaches the current curriculum of Shaolin and other styles.

There are various San Da/San Shou clubs as well and more informal places like twin dragons kickboxing and kungfu club, I think they have a couple of locations. Most every community centre in markham has a martial arts program of some sort and these are generally good quality instruction for a comparitively lower dollar range just because community club programs can't be expensive or they don't get enrolment.

there's a couple of JKD places downtown as well, lemme find out the stuff on em and I'll post a link.

And on Queen street you can find Wu Tai Chi pretty much at the corner of Spadina and Queen (look up to the second floor signage you'll see it).

I think there is a Kungfu school operating out of the Chinese Freemasons building on Dundas as well on the east side of spadina.

In short, there is plenty of places to receive instruction in Traditional Kungfu styles all over Toronto. I don't think you'll find any white tiger places or bak mei places. White tiger I think is a hawaiin thing I think. And Bak Mei is just not a common or hugely popular style.

lifeboy
02-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Kung Lek: Thanks for that info....very helpful

Yum Cha
02-13-2005, 04:44 PM
I believe there are two Pak Mei schools in Toronto. An Embarassment of riches!

I believe both have significantly different attitudes and character, and it would be worthwhile visiting both to make a decision on which teacher suits you.

Both are legitimate, and both will teach you good Pak Mei, however, probably via different routes.

Sifu Mike Docet in London: http://www.pakmei.net/

Sifu Mark Shim, Shing Toak Tong Pak Mei in Scarborough: http://www.pakmei.ca/

Cheers

fiercest tiger
02-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Choy lee fut is a very powerful system and maybe you should try it and see if you like it as its different to BFP and Bak Mei so at least you get a different fighting perspective.

If you have been doing the other arts along time sometimes a different system lets you see things differently and will open up pandora's box within the old arts.

just a thought!

FT

David Jamieson
02-14-2005, 07:16 AM
I would also add that if you do choose any of the places in Chinatown, that all the Sifu have pretty good reputations. Paul Chan's school has been around forever! lol. I think it's one of the longest continually running Kungfu schools in the old chinatown area. Been around since the early sixties and teaches the gwai lo! :p

FT, London is a 2 hour drive from Toronto. :p
I have a friend who runs a kwoon there. It is more of a progressive martial arts centre but he does have a base style that is all CMA.

lifeboy
02-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys!

I will definitely be checking out the Hong Luck School. As I mentioned, I'm quite sure I will be living about a 10 min walk from there. And their willingness to teach the Gwai lo is essential!!

Reminds me of a funny story. A while back I was in a chinese herb shop buying some herbs to make a jow and this old lady came in and started talking to the salesperson about the 'gwai lo' and laughing a lot. I don't speak the language, so to this day I have no clue what was so funny, but I know what 'gwai lo' is. Well, the lady selling us the stuff soon realized that I knew what she was saying and became quite embarassed. I just blew it off.

Ben Gash
02-15-2005, 06:36 AM
You'll definitely get top notch kung fu at Hong Luck, but be prepared for the workout of your life. They train HARD. A friend of mine visited their and there were guys doing the same form non-stop for three hours! My Sifu has trained with Paul Chan, and he speaks very highly of his kung fu.

lifeboy
02-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
You'll definitely get top notch kung fu at Hong Luck, but be prepared for the workout of your life. They train HARD. A friend of mine visited their and there were guys doing the same form non-stop for three hours! My Sifu has trained with Paul Chan, and he speaks very highly of his kung fu.

I like these words!