PDA

View Full Version : baguazhang in the phoenix area?

BenjaminAZ
02-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know of anyone in the central Arizona area who teaches/is willing to teach Baguazhang? I've been on the lookout for awhile, but have yet to find anything to meet my expectations. I'm willing to drive a good way if necessary (and the quality of instruction makes it worthwhile).

I find it hard to accept that in the greater Phoenix metropolitan area, there isn't at least one such person...

Anjentao
02-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I Understand there used to be a person in that area that taught Bagua named Vince Black. I have never met him, nor can I say whether he is a good teacher or if he still offers to teach, but it may be a start for you.

Good luck.

Three Harmonies
02-14-2005, 10:20 AM
I believe Vince Black is in Tucson. Last I heard he was no longer teaching, but he seems to like to live in his own little world so I am not sure if he is teaching or not.
I have abuddy training with someone, but I am not sure who they are or how good they are. He does mostly Xing Yi with them. Email me and I will put you in touch.
Are you set on Bagua?
Cheers
Jake :D

BenjaminAZ
02-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the replies (and the PMs too). I've looked into a few possibilities, and there is one teacher I am meeting with tomorrow night. He teaches Xingyi and Bagua, and I think the emphasis is primarily on Xingyi (which is fine, I'm interested in both). In fact 3Harmonies, it might be the same group your friend is already training with. The teacher's name is Tom Morrissey, and from what I understand he trained under Kenny Gong for about 20 years. The name of his school (for lack of a better term) is the Arizona Hsing-I Association. I guess they have classes in a few different locations, and one of them is right down the road from me.

And yes... I am definately set on Bagua, though I am just as open to Xingyi if I can get both. :)

Three Harmonies
02-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Ben
That is them! Glad you found them. I have heard good things. Good luck, and let me know if I can help as I am not TOO far away.

Cheers
Jake :cool:

BenjaminAZ
02-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Well I checked out a class tonight, and enjoyed it. I definately liked the feel of the group, and it looks like I'll be going back starting next week to train.

And thanks for the offer Jake, I'll probably take you up on it somehow*lol*

BAI HE
03-03-2005, 05:59 PM
If he spent twenty with Kenny Gong that is good news for you.

BenjaminAZ
03-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Yeah, he studied with Kenny Gong from the mid seventies until his passing in 1996 (I think that's the correct year). He said he is also one of only seven students that Sifu Gong certified for teaching.

There are a few senior students of Tom Morrissey's that I've met, and I even got to do some push hands drills with one of them (who is one of the only ones to meet Sifu Gong before he died, I guess this guy has been with Tom since the late 80s). Anyway, that guy had crazy skills- about my weight, noticably shorter, but... Solid as a rock. It literally felt like he was made of concrete when we were doing the drill.

In any case, I am very pleased with it so far. The only downsides are that: a. I can only train with him once a week currently due to my schedule, and b. since Sifu Gong was from Canton, the terminology is all Cantonese (which drives me crazy since I minored in Mandarin in college).

But... *shrug* I think those are more than made up for in the quality of what I've been offered.