PDA

View Full Version : Some say kungfu isn't spiritual

diego
02-13-2005, 07:28 PM
why do shaolin cats do it?

I don't know all the facts, but I'm wondering if any shaolin monks use kung fu as a vehicle for enlightenment...i know they do but I'm looking for historical data on those that did...any records of monks getting enlightened while punching and kicking?

the reason i'm asking this is because i feel Hiphop with it's four major elements of breakdance, rapping, graffiti and turntablism is kinda like a modern day shoalin kung fu...more on that later if any one is interested, but right now I just want to know more about kung fu being spiritual

I know in Lions Roar! Tibetan Kung Fu the monks used it as a vehicle through the crazy wisdom sect of bhuddism wich uses any means to get over samsara etcetc

Holla:)

SPJ
02-13-2005, 07:47 PM
It will be a tough proof to find.

Shaolin was thought to be associated with anti Qing movement. The temples were destroyed and monks were disbanded or mordered.

In the Ming dynasty, the darkest dynasty, there were eunuch wars. The east and the west palace gangs. Xi Zhang and Dong Zhang.

There were persecutions on literatures and religions, too.

Any signs of MA practices in groups were in suspecion of rebellion.

But people do know the Qi Gong exercises were allowed.

Such as Ba Duan Jin and Yi Jing Jing from Da Mo.

The most famous story was the Shaolin staff monks or Gun Zheng.

They fought and rescued Tang's King Li Si Ming.

Apparently, Shaolin monks were very martial then to be able to fend off an army and rescue a king.

With it, Shaolin was allowed to study MA as a gift from Tang's emperor.

diego
02-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Interesting SPJ, thanks for posting:)

I have a boatload of questions, but just got back from swimming so the endorphins got me buzzing and gonna sleep soon:D