PDA

View Full Version : Mook jong measurements

JetKuen
02-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Hey all. I'm building a wooden dummy and am confused on the correct measurements. I've searched the past forums and haven't had any luck finding specific info.

I know all jongs aren't one size fits all, so here's my dilema. The average upper arm span is 8.5" apart, but they're supposed to point at your shoulders an arms length away. I'm 6'2" and that distance spreads to about 10". That seems a bit excessive and "loose."
(My dummy arms extend 13" from the body)

The lower arm is usually 8.5" measured from the upper arms. Is this "magically" the same distance as the upper arm span? If so, you have an equalateral triangle (which makes sense) or is it just to the stomach area. Minut, but I'm curious.

With that said, when performing a low bong-sau, the arm might rest close to the wrist or it might rest close to the elbow...this again affects the lower arm height. Honestly I don't care where it touches my forearm, but something worth mentioning.

Any suggestions or insights. Thanks.

SAAMAG
02-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Go to www.woodendummy.net

This guy Clark, makes the dummies by himself, by hand, from solid oak trunks and oak arms, with oak or steel legs, all with a nice shellac laquer on them. I have just bought my second one from him a few days ago and he is custom making it for me so that I can hang it or have it free standing.

Great quality and a standup guy. The price is reasonable considering the quality and labor that he puts into them.

The reason I tell you about him is that he has the measurements for the dummies on his website for free...for the stands as well. (both traditional and corner stands)

It is 60" from back leg to back leg and 36" from a back leg to the front leg. Total square footage is approx 4.25 sq. ft.

It is approx. 11" from the dummy to the knee of the front kicking leg and 20" from the trunk to the knee of the back legs.

It is approx. 20" from the knee to the foot of each leg. All three legs are Wing Chun "kicking" legs and bend at 60 degrees from the horizontal plane.

The dummy is 54" long, approx. 9" in diameter and weighs (with the legs attached) approx. 160 lbs.

It is 9-1/2" from the top of the dummy to the center of the upper left arm. Each arm is 12" in length and straight tapers from 2-1/2" to 1-1/2" rounded tip.

The two upper arms are level at the tips. When spread appart, the arms measure approx. 9" center to center and when pulled together, the arms are approx. 8" center to center.

The dummy body is constructed from a solid kiln-dried oak tree trunk and sealed smooth to the touch with three coats of shellac.

Toby
02-13-2005, 11:55 PM
My arms are 8.5" to 9.5" apart depending on which direction you push them. Do you have access to many dummies? I measured the one in our kwoon that I liked the best, and that one had 9.5" arms. FWIW I'm 6'2" too, so IMHO 8.5" is maybe a bit small for big guys like us. My arms are 11" out from the body - that's what my kwoon favourite had. My lower arm? Dunno - I'll check.

WCDummy
02-14-2005, 01:24 PM
The upper arm tips should relate to your nipples. The middle arm should relate to your naval and the knee of the leg should relate to your knee.

Stand in your ykym for height measurements.

Ken