PDA

View Full Version : Importance of aerobic fitness

hunglengjon
02-14-2005, 06:04 AM
Hi all,

I wanted to get some people's opinons on the proportion of your training times you dedicate to purely aerobic fitness?

I currently only training a mixed variety 3/4 times a week about an hour each, but I know many training daily running etc.

It's important for sparring of course, but should time you could be spending on perfecting technique be altered to allow for more fitness?

Any views interesting

Jon

Ford Prefect
02-14-2005, 07:26 AM
I think it's important just from a simple health stand point regardless of performance enhancement.

Toby
02-14-2005, 06:18 PM
I do assorted stuff, but my best cardio workout comes from HIIT, twice a week. Total interval time? 10-12min a week.

Mo Lung
02-14-2005, 11:14 PM
"Your Ferrari ain't worth sh!t without gas in the tank."

;)

Chief Fox
02-15-2005, 09:14 AM
I run 3 days a week for aerobic fitness.
I also pracitce my forms several times a week that can be an aerobic workout.
I also end up sparring a few times a week.
In addition to the above, I also lift weights and do body weight exercises.

In regards to your question "It's important for sparring of course, but should time you could be spending on perfecting technique be altered to allow for more fitness?"

I would say it depends on the person. One thing I've learned over the past two years is that variety is the key to staying injury free. Unfortunately I had to get injured a few times in order to learn this. So yes, you could focus on perfecting technique all the time but for me this would lead to an imbalance and ultimately to injury. So I try to have a balance of focusing on technique and focusing on overall fitness.

Hope this helps.

anerlich
02-15-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm doing this 3-4 times a week, about 15 minutes at a time:

http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

alternating burpees (with pushup) and flat out jump rope. I can't do sprints due to knee injuries. I'm into week 6 and it has already helped my sparring and rolling endurance enormously.

Toby
02-15-2005, 07:11 PM
^ That's what I do. I use a secondhand Concept 2 ergo, which is nice and low impact.

hunglengjon
02-24-2005, 04:59 AM
Thanks all. I think that's reinforced what I thought. I've found some hugely varying conclusions on how important it is in the past.