PDA

View Full Version : Our 2005 Wing Chun Collector's Special Issue

GeneChing
02-14-2005, 06:03 PM
On stands now (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=578)

couch
02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Looks like Inside Kung-Fu has William Cheung on the cover too.

...but they'll never compete with YOUR mag, Gene. ;)

Matrix
02-14-2005, 08:07 PM
When I see "hidden secrets" I tune out. :rolleyes:

45degree fist
02-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Ha Ha thats a bad pic if you work for the FCC.

kj
02-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 45degree fist
Ha Ha thats a bad pic if you work for the FCC.

LOL. I thought maybe it was just me. :D

Regards,
- kj

Ali Hamad Rahim
02-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Matrix

Me to,, one speak of secrets,, speaks of his or her own limitations… there are no secrets!!

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://detroitwingchun.com)

GeneChing
02-17-2005, 02:54 PM
...we'll see if we do any more Wing Chun specials... ;)

Vajramusti
02-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Now now Gene. I do hope that you do Wing Chun specials in the future.
Just have to make sure that it is a good representation of the diversity in wing chun.

Joy Chaudhuri

SAAMAG
02-17-2005, 05:57 PM
I always like the issues that focus on wing chun...but like Joy said, a little more diversity in the various lineages, perhaps maybe more on the fighting aspects of wing chun without the filler....I agree with Matrix and Ali with the "hidden secrets" bit...there's just too many people out there that know better.

We want bud light, not bud.

But you did get me to buy some stuff from MA mart though! So your advertising was great!!! ;)

GeneChing
02-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Actually, the Wing Chun issues happen fairly organically. We get more article submissions on Wing Chun than any other style. You're a prolific bunch. At a certain point, we collect all the submissions together and do a special. We'll probably do another one since I doubt that the Wing Chun people will stop writing at this point. The last one did fairly well on the newsstand. Unless this one tanks (which is pretty unlikely) we'll probably do another. Ask me next year.

As to getting other lineages, everyone is welcome to submit articles. Here's our writer's guidelines (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/about/guidelines.php) if you're interested. We don't request articles except for some rare occasions with authors that have worked with us extensively in the past. And Wing Chun is far from my area of research, so it really relies upon the Wing Chun community more than anything else. We'd welcome more diversity with open arms.

As for the 'secrets' issue, it's simply a literary device. Surely you all know that. You can't really write an article called 'secrets' and say that you're actually keeping secrets. That being said, I wouldn't get too hung up on it. FWIW, it's a pretty good sell point. If I put 'secret' on the title of a videotape, I can increase sales in the popular market.

Thanks for your support Vankuen - what did you buy?

SAAMAG
02-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Nothing big, just some posters and some vids of the WT system, I've recently gone from practicing WC, to practicing WT through the EBMAS method...and so I wanted to do some more research on the ideals of that lineage.

Hendrik
02-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Actually, the Wing Chun issues happen fairly organically.

Hey Gene,

Without that wild Emei mountain snake Fujian white Crane spring water palm people often making joke about. It cant be that ORGANIC to eat. :D:D:D:D

just teasing you. hehehehe

an idea, you want a sizzle hot burning issue? :D

get the White Crane Fang Chi-Niang classical, The Emei 12 Zhuang writting, the Wing Chun Kuen Kuen Kuit from the Red Boat , Chi qi-Kuang's miritary writting, ... Shao Lin secret note... put the cover of all these books or manual in the cover page.

Then, get the white Crane, Emei, Wing Chun people together , Shao Lin Zen monk.. etc and discuss about Wing Chun and published everyone's view in that hot Special edition.

and,
we can sell arrow mountain spring water for side job too to cool down the world and make lots of $$$ infront of your office where a stage put up so people can present their reasons. hehehehe

But, then, the world might get too heat up. hahaha. So, better not doing it that way. :D:D:D (just joking with wied ideas ofcorse.)

Matrix
02-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
As for the 'secrets' issue, it's simply a literary device. Surely you all know that. You can't really write an article called 'secrets' and say that you're actually keeping secrets. Sorry Gene, that's not quite what I was getting at. I was thinking more along the lines of Ali's comment................. "There are no secrets".

I understand the need for marketing in your publication, so don't get me wrong. I think I'll pick up the mag this weekend and see if I have any more specific comments.

GeneChing
02-23-2005, 03:06 PM
MT: Maybe there are secrets. Maybe nobody has told you them yet. How would you know? ;) Actually, it really depends on how you define secrets. Sure, there was that book, There are no secrets, but there are definately levels of training - you can't reveal everything to beginners because you just befuddle them. It's like trying to teach calculus before multiplication. Which really has nothing to do with someone mentioning secrets in their article title, but I'm just saying...

HD: It's a good thing you don't publish magazines.... :D

VK: Thanks for your support. It's nice to be carrying the WT stuff. We'd been discussing it with GM Leung Ting for years. It's good product, on the whole, and he had been having some problems with his US distributors. FWIW, his company does a great job packing - very professional!

SAAMAG
02-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Yea I got the stuff today, nothing bad to say of you all as the distributor, but the video (Dynamic wing tsun) was pretty dissappointing. A'lot of what's on there is just total nonsense it makes me wonder if it was money motivated or maybe just really outdated.

I asked my EBMAS sifu about it the other night, he said he hadn't seen it in a while, but that he knows that from that time till now, the system (on the LT and Boz' side has evolved from what it was then.)

When do you think you will get the Hanwei forged butterfly knives in again? I wouldnt mind having a set of those waiting for me. It would prove to be good motivation to get to that point in the system.

Hendrik
02-23-2005, 07:29 PM
HD: It's a good thing you don't publish magazines.... :D

!

Yup. thats why I am an engineer. :D

Chronos
02-27-2005, 01:16 AM

The hidden secret was "where is the Wing Chun?" Just because you call it a Wing Chun collector's issue doesn't make it one.

Gene, aren't you guys located in the Bay Area? Isn't there any Wing Chun found locally there? It might be a good idea to get out more.

Matrix
02-27-2005, 08:08 AM
The hidden secret was "where is the Wing Chun?" I agree with the sentiment that it was very disappointing. Not only were there no "secrets" there (no surprise), but there was little of value there, even for a beginner, IMO. Sorry...

SimonM
02-27-2005, 03:04 PM

If you mean the article on the hidden secrets of Siu Lum Tao the article didn't exactly say anything to hidden or secret but it was a nice little bit of reference stuff. Also the I Liq Chuan article (merging the spheres) was an interesting theoretical piece and the long staff article (double entendre aside) was a good read.

Phil Redmond
02-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey Gene, I'd really like to write an article on TWC. William Cheung has asked some of the senior students to write books. I'm presently working on the TWC basics and principles. Maybe I could use some of what I'm working on now. I have a feeling that many WC people (at least), would be interested in seeing the inner workings of TWC and other lineages as well.
Phil

anerlich
02-27-2005, 04:57 PM
hidden secrets

Are there another kind? :D

GeneChing
02-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Vankuen: It is an old video, one of the first that I can remember really. Sorry you weren't into it. As for Hanwei, we have huge backorders with them. Seems like they just can't keep up with demand right now. I'm not sure what's going on. I have a friend at Hanwei, and have asked him, but he hasn't said...

Chronos: I don't really research Wing Chun. I think the only Wing Chun article that I've ever done was the one on GM Leung Ting (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=292) and he came to our offices very well prepared with all sorts of info and ideas, so all I did was compile an interview. We've an open invitation to any freelancers - SF or anywhere. But with freelancers, you have to come to us. Wing Chun is funny tho - there are several prolific writers in that field. Then there are a bunch of people who complain about not being 'covered' and never submit anything. It's not like we have roving teams of reporters. There's me. There's a few other regular freelancers. Then there's the rest of you.

Phil: got your PM's. Thanks! We'll take it up there.

I'll have that Secrets article posted online soon. That way, there will be no secrets whatsoever and more people can enter the discussion here.

GeneChing
03-02-2005, 02:45 PM
We now have three articles online for the Mar Apr 2005 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=578). Enjoy!

SAAMAG
03-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Vankuen: It is an old video, one of the first that I can remember really. Sorry you weren't into it. As for Hanwei, we have huge backorders with them. Seems like they just can't keep up with demand right now. I'm not sure what's going on. I have a friend at Hanwei, and have asked him, but he hasn't said...

Chronos: I don't really research Wing Chun. I think the only Wing Chun article that I've ever done was the one on GM Leung Ting (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=292) and he came to our offices very well prepared with all sorts of info and ideas, so all I did was compile an interview. We've an open invitation to any freelancers - SF or anywhere. But with freelancers, you have to come to us. Wing Chun is funny tho - there are several prolific writers in that field. Then there are a bunch of people who complain about not being 'covered' and never submit anything. It's not like we have roving teams of reporters. There's me. There's a few other regular freelancers. Then there's the rest of you.

Phil: got your PM's. Thanks! We'll take it up there.

I'll have that Secrets article posted online soon. That way, there will be no secrets whatsoever and more people can enter the discussion here.

I've heard that he re-filmed the dynamic wing tsun video. Or so my Ebmas dai sifu said. I guess I'll wait for those knives.... ;)

GeneChing
03-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't know about them being re-filmed. Could be. You'd know better than I would. It wouldn't surprise me. You know, GM Leung Ting makes these little home videos for his laptop of his adventures - they are absolutely hilarious.

As for Hanwei, beleive me, we're as disappointed as you are. Maybe more since it cuts into projected income. Our Jan Feb 2005 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=567) was our first 'sword special' so naturally we were going to promote Hanwei product. And we did, with one of the first articles about Paul Chen (Hanwei founder), as well as a controversial article by Adam Hsu and his new Hanwei guard design. Then, after busting my ass for that issue, lo and behold, Hanwei couldn't keep us in stock - we had backorders up the wazoo. Ouch. Anyway, I truly hope they can get it together. They have some wonderful products.

PShane
03-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Initially, when I read the title, I thought - what can I learn that hasn't already been taught, etc? However, I judged the book by its cover too soon. "Hidden Secrets" made sense in the context of the material. The article actually gives credit to any qualified instructor.

I found the topic pretty interesting as it addresses a different perspective of WC (internal vs. external). I can only speak for myself, but when I was a beginner, I had no idea of the depth of the internal aspect of the Siu Nim Tao by observing the techniques until I was enlightened by my Sifu years later....

Keep up the good work Gene! I hope you continue the WC specials...

GeneChing
03-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for your comment, PShane, I'm sure the Bourren's appreciate it.

It'll really be the newsstand that determines the future of Wing Chun specials. As always, we hope for the best. Both Wing Chun and GM Leung Ting have proved themselves successful on the newsstands in the past.