PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dummy for staff work

Chief Fox
02-15-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm looking to make a a dummy out of old car tires to practice my staff work on. I know that I've seen a picture on the web somewhere of a dummy built for this reason but for the life of me can't find it.

Has anyone made a dummy like this? Does anyone know where I can find a picture of one? Any ideas on what it could look like?

Here's one idea. Imagine me beating the cr@p out of the attached with a staff.

tug
02-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Sorry, don't have a link to post, but the military (at least when I was in back in '89, times could have changed since then) uses something very similar for bayonet training.

Toby
02-15-2005, 07:09 PM
IMHO you wouldn't want it like your pic. If you hit it anywhere near where the tyres are joined together, your staff would be forced towards the join point. Maybe cut the tyres and stretch them over some sort of rectangular frame?

mantis108
02-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Build an "A" frame for support. I think there is a book that has a chapter on this. Sorry, I don't recall the title as the moment.

Mantis108

Chief Fox
02-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I was also thinking about suspending some kind of target inside the tires for thrusting type moves too. It would also be neat to somehow attached spring loaded arms.

Chief Fox
02-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Chief FoX!
Who did that drawing? It doesn't look self-supporting nor does it look designed for an A-Frame?

I did the drawing real quick to just show an idea of what I'm talking about. The idea is, the bottom tire that is cut in half would be bolted to a piece of wood and then the two tires on top would be bolted to each other. As designed, it would probably be flexible and flop around a little bit and also would probably fall over a lot if the base wasn't big enough.

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas.

IronFist
02-23-2005, 08:50 PM
I thought I replied to this thread before the forum went down but I guess not. I forgot what I said, but it was something about how I didn't like that design because there's nothing to thrust at.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-24-2005, 02:37 AM
lil'puppy:

i really like aircraft tires and the bumpsters that fly them. they're a little tougher than car tires, springier than cycle tires. sometimes they have interesting colors and deformities. lately it seems i don't have to reach too far to grab one or two.... I heard of a lawyer who likes to mount bicycles on his wall. i think i'll do the same with BeechCraft on my roof. then i can teach them PuDao and Chen Whip Staff -OOh, how i love fast blugeons!

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-24-2005, 02:52 AM
chief fox:

if you could find some way to cover over the holes with other tire material i think you'd have something similar to the $90 silicon fleshed water filled manaquins that are so life like. you can even knock the fluid out of 'em with good penetration.