PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Mantis moves

humble-one
02-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Anyone got any good pics of some mantis moves? Im trying to get some reference material (for my own study) with videos and pics but its hard to find the photos. Does any one think there should be a "sticky" thread for this? Just a thought.

Thanks.

Chizica
02-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Try this website

http://www.babutanglang.com/main.html

It is for Eight Step Mantis, so depending on what style of Mantis you are looking for, it may not apply.

LawClansman
02-16-2005, 05:43 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/lawclansman/bungboform.html

humble-one
02-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Like the animation thingie of bung bo. thanks guys

Young Mantis
02-17-2005, 12:05 PM
There are photos to some of our forms on our website.
www.northernmantis.com

humble-one
02-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Yep got that one already in my searching.

thanks for posting.

EarthDragon
02-23-2005, 04:10 PM
try www.kungfuusa.net we have some joint locks and still pics of some great throws, enjoy

humble-one
02-24-2005, 02:36 AM
Thanks ED are those pics of your sifu? Ive never seen anything like that last shot of him healing a neck injury. Some good throws though. :) (just testing smilies)

EarthDragon
02-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Actually humble those pics are of me. My student is in the white uniform. Though he has only been with me for 8 years he is beginning to become quite good.
As for the neck injury, when I was living in San Francisco I studied under Yen Chu Feng, I became her only american student and am still training under her to this day.
The art is called Jin Gon Tzu Li Gong, qigong it is the art of shooting or projecting qi to heal ailments. Very highly respected in Beijing and considered one of the lost arts in the world today.
Hope you have found enough sources for your project, be well

humble-one
02-25-2005, 01:14 AM
ive heard of people shooting chi but never seen it done. can it help with any physical pain or is it just for muscular strain? is it/was it part of your schol of mantis?

Three Harmonies
02-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Earthdragon
Sounds like medical qigong yes? Can you offer more onfo on it and your teacher?

Jake :D

EarthDragon
02-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Humble one, actually it goes much deeper her than you think. My shrfu heals every diesease from cancer to bells palsey. Qigoing realigns the stagnation of qi in the body which is where disease comes from , we all have canerous cells on our bodies, it just depends on other circumstances why some peoples turn from benign to milignant.

Three harmonis,
Yes it is medical as I am sure you knew.
I dont know exactly what type of info you are looking for, but it is a high level skill. Not your average type of qigong, this is much more effective but much rarer. The stlye is called Jin Gon Tzu Li Gong. You probably wont be able to find any info on it as it has been kept quite secretive in China due to its outstanding healing properties.
My teacher's name is Yen Chu Feng, But I have named her Angela since she lives with me at my home in the US. Her father was a famous scholar and was well know in Beijing for writting books on qigong and translating work from master's like Shu Ming. Her grandmother was the one who passed the skills onto angela and from a young age had many people line up at her door all day to get treaments. Since leaving Beijing she has been on several Japanese and singaporian TV documentaries almost like 20/20 here in the US.
She has done seminars in 27 countires and frequently visits euorope, asia, and south america one a year to perform healings. Right now she is in Paris where she has over a patients 1,000 lined up to have the chance to recieve one of her treaments. Since our kismett meeeting in SF she has not returned to live back home but has stayed with me and just reacently we found her a house to buy close to where I live. Hope this answers your questions be well

Three Harmonies
02-26-2005, 04:07 PM
As you may (or may not) know I am very interested in the healing side of the Chinese arts. This sounds very interesting, even more so since you mention she teaches seminars. Could you send me her requirements for a seminar via email or here on the forum?

Thanks
Jake Burroughs
three_harmonies@hotmail.com :D

18elders
02-26-2005, 05:20 PM
My mother in-law goes to a qigong master in china(she lives in zhengzhou). He is in his 90's and his teacher is over 100. Last time she was here in the usa, her knees were so bad she could barely walk. Had to use a wheelchair in the airport when she left. She heard about this guy and started seeing him. After a little while with him working on her she is doing well and can go for long walks again.

Mika
03-01-2005, 08:19 PM
You probably wont be able to find any info on it as it has been kept quite secretive in China due to its outstanding healing properties.

Would think for that reason it would not be kept a secret.

Nice photos, good action :)

Been meaning to ask this before, but always somehow forgot. In one of the photos, the index finger is pointing down while the rest of the fingers are in a fist. I have seen this many times before. I always wanted know how that is applied without injuring the index finger and what the finger is used for. Care to shed some light on that?

Is it ever used for striking?

http://www.kungfuusa.net/images/photo_page/037.jpg

//mika

JadeMantis
03-02-2005, 02:51 AM
Hi Mika

This formation of the hand in Matis signifies a Praying Mantis's front claws. In chinese it is called Diu Sau.

In the pictures that you are talking about the person in black is striking with the back of his hand/wrist. The index finger can also be used to strike vital points around the body like eye, throat or groin. The Mantis Claw can also signify an intercept or grab of the opponent.

Hope this helps

JM

Mika
03-02-2005, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the answer :)

Would the strike be a little sturdier if more fingers were put together (with the contact point still remaining small enough to get to small areas such as the eyes and the throat)? Or is this another strike?

//mika

German Bai Lung
03-02-2005, 05:32 AM
Well, Mantis Hand/Claws variing among the different branches.

In one of the older MQ there is a artikel from Sifu Lee Kam Wing about the Diu Sau / Mantis Hand.
He instruct the Hand being thight and to close all fingers while the index is wrapped around the thumb (Mika: Iīd showed you that, canīt remember?? ;) ).

This is to apply strong grips and controlling the opponents arm or hand. In some case you can also hit with the index to vital points.
Also if apply correctly your forearms are strong and able to block powerful hits or even kicks. Double Mantis Hand in Ma Bo e.g.

JadeMantis
03-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks GBL.

I never new that. I'll have to practise Mantis Claw that way.

JM

Mika
03-03-2005, 09:23 AM
(Mika: Iīd showed you that, canīt remember?? ;) ).

:D I think I do, it was just so much material at one time. And I am olde :p

Thanks for the answer. Just another n00b trying to learn a little more :o

EarthDragon
03-03-2005, 07:54 PM
three harmonies,
where in the country are you located? as far as her traveling to do a seminar, the requirments are simple and few, have a group of serious people that really want to understand, and pay for accomdations and air fare. She is quite busy and the seminars need to be schedualed about 9- 12 months in advance.
She is more interested in healing than teaching, the skill cannot be learned in a seminar but healings can. she would much rather heal than teach.
Not that she is selfish, but her purpose here is to help the sick, not the interested.
I hope you dont find that rude, but everyone she comes in contact with asks her to be taught. I am the only on in the US that has been fortunate enough to have had that privledge.

MIKA,
jade , and german explained exactly what I would have responded with to your question. I would just like to add that as German said about the thumb wrapping, we like to place the thumb along side the index finger so that when you need to open the hand fully to grab you can do just that very quickly wihtout having to first unwrap the thumb......... this takes a split second and that is not what you will have in a combat situation.

i.e Its the same as holding up your hands clenched in fists to fight, if you need to open them to grab or trap you must first open the fist to only close it again. If you keep your hands open you can skip 1 step. This is the same view we use as wrapping the thumb, it does take time to come out of the hand position. be well