PDA

View Full Version : ATTN:SaekSan - Amazonas!

red5angel
02-16-2005, 02:16 PM
I worked on it this past weekend and am pulling it off pretty good! I was shocked at how easy it is. I still need a little bit of help, usually I need to grab something with my free hand to do it properly. Still, it's something I thought would take a lot longer to get!

SaekSan
02-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Amazonas... I'm not familiar with that one.

Here I was hoping it had to do with women that were taller than me and... nevermind!

:D

So, can you describe that one?

red5angel
02-16-2005, 02:35 PM
lol! Amazons rock!

It's the "kick" where you go up on one hand and sort of kick over your head. It's classic Capoeira and I think it miht also be called something else as well but can't recall the name offhand.

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/strand/602/images/Ze_beija_flor.jpg

SaekSan
02-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Ahhhh... ok, now I know what you're talking about. There's a different name for it but it escapes me now.

Funny story about that kick:

I was teaching my fighters how to do scissor kicks and we somehow got onto the "amazonas" (which was nicknamed the "capoeira" kick). Months later we were in one of the Kuoshu sessions and I said to one of my guys "scissor him!", he waits a few seconds and WHAM kicks the guy hard on the head with an amazona. :D

Everyone was stunned and we all started laughing, I asked my guy "what the hell was that?" and he's like, "wasn't that a scissor kick?"

:D :D :D

red5angel
02-16-2005, 03:11 PM
awesome! I have yet to pull it off in the roda yet but one of these days! I think that page calls it baji flora or something like that but I heard another name for it on saturday.

What I wuld really like to pull off is Escopria, where you do a handstand but your body leans backwards. That is insane!

red5angel
02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
speaking of baiji flora or whatever, isn't "flora" like a flourish or something in capoeira? I assume it has something to do with flower or flowery but I remember my instructor using the term a few times on little things to give a technique personality.

SaekSan
02-16-2005, 03:17 PM
That's it!

Beija-flor literally means "kiss-flower" but it's really the name for hummingbirds.

Good luck on the escopria you gotta have a strong midsection for that.

:)

norther practitioner
02-16-2005, 05:10 PM
some call them k or y kicks...

Mr Punch
02-17-2005, 08:52 AM
In that position they could almost be KY kicks...! :eek:

red5angel
02-17-2005, 09:19 AM
NP, are you aware of another art that uses something similar?