PDA

View Full Version : Translation Help!

KPM
02-17-2005, 05:00 AM
Hi Guys!

Can anyone tell me how to translate "narrow" or "compact" into Cantonese? As in "narrow body" or "compact body." Thanks!

Keith

reneritchie
02-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Siu/Small vs. Dai/Big

Duen/Short vs. Cheung/Long

SAAMAG
02-17-2005, 03:10 PM
So then a lower side palm being called a "dai jeung" is actually being translated as "big palm"?

kj
02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Vankuen
So then a lower side palm being called a "dai jeung" is actually being translated as "big palm"?

There are a lot of "dai"s. There is dai that means low, or to lower, hang, bend, or bow, and another dai meaning to drop, as liquids, or a drop (e.g., dai bong). Still another dai which means bottom, underneath, underside, (e.g., dai jeung), and another dai of similar meaning but different nuance of meaning as root, base, bottom of object. Each of these "dai"s is represented by a different character and some have different tones.

A good online reference is Online Chinese Tools (http://www.mandarintools.com/). Be sure to check out the Character Dictionary (http://www.mandarintools.com/chardict.html) there.

Regards,
- kj

SAAMAG
02-17-2005, 07:35 PM
I know KJ...but it just sounded funny...BIG palm...

reneritchie
02-17-2005, 07:36 PM
KJ sik se Kwangtung wa

kj
02-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Vankuen
I know KJ...but it just sounded funny...BIG palm...

Duh me. I'm lost without emoticons. :D
- kj

kj
02-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
KJ sik se Kwangtung wa

I haven't got a clue what that means, though my instincts tell me it either has something to do with intepreting the Cantonese dialect or extravagently decorating the Kunlun mountains in Jian Su province with my excellent vermillion horse.

Regards,
- kj

yylee
02-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
KJ sik se Kwangtung wa

what the chun did you just say Rene? :D

now try this:

- say "diaper"
- say dia... and stop before you pronounce the "per"
- say dia... don't say the per... but say "Jeung" (palm in cantonese).
- there you go, your low side palm - Dia-Jeung.

narrow is "Jark"
body is "San"

don't think we Cantonese use the term "narrow body", "compact body" sounds better. Usually people say WC is "Duen Kiu Jark Ma" (short bridge narrow stance).

Phil Redmond
02-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by yylee
what the chun did you just say Rene? :D

now try this:

- say "diaper"
- say dia... and stop before you pronounce the "per"
- say dia... don't say the per... but say "Jeung" (palm in cantonese).
- there you go, your low side palm - Dia-Jeung.

narrow is "Jark"
body is "San"

don't think we Cantonese use the term "narrow body", "compact body" sounds better. Usually people say WC is "Duen Kiu Jark Ma" (short bridge narrow stance).
I have to jump in on this one yylee.
I know you're a native speaker but you know that Cantonese has no R sounds like gerk (guek), tarn (tan), larp (lop), ect. Oh heck, I might as well add Bil (instead of Biu). One more thing, narrow is jaak ;)
PR

Phil Redmond
02-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by kj
Duh me. I'm lost without emoticons. :D
- kj
Rene asked if you know how to write in Cantonese. He probably should have said Chinese instead of Cantonese ;)
PR

yylee
02-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
I have to jump in on this one yylee.
I know you're a native speaker but you know that Cantonese has no R sounds like gerk (guek), tarn (tan), larp (lop), ect. Oh heck, I might as well add Bil (instead of Biu). One more thing, narrow is jaak ;)
PR

you know I grew up in a British colony, they pronounce Jark as Jaak ;) after mixing Cantonese in their English. The R sound is totally gone.....

so does it make you feel bettaa? :D

stuartm
02-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi,

For what its worth 'da' is mandarin for big and 'xiao' is small.

Low side palm in cantonese would be 'dei wang jeung' I think.

All very confusing !

Stu

:D

CFT
02-18-2005, 03:08 AM
The real problem is consistent use of a recognised Cantonese romanization scheme. The PRC (mainland China) use Mandarin pinyin, but Cantonese romanization use is fragmented. Most HK people just use some kind of personalised made-up scheme which I think most closely follows Yale.

KPM
02-18-2005, 04:23 AM

Thanks yylee! So then how does one say "compact body" in Cantonese?

Keith

kj
02-18-2005, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
Rene asked if you know how to write in Cantonese. He probably should have said Chinese instead of Cantonese ;)
PR

Thanks Phil.

At best I can recognize a few terms, and then only if offered adequate context. So the answer is a resounding no. The vermilion horse probably gave me away, LOL. It is fun to poke at though. The language, that is, not the horse. ;)

Regards,
- kj

reneritchie
02-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Phil is correct and a linguistic marvel.

I should have said KJ sik se Jong Man, sik gong Kwantung waaaaaaaa.....

yylee
02-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by KPM
Thanks yylee! So then how does one say "compact body" in Cantonese?

Keith

personally I prefer "Duen Kiu Jark Ma".

come to think of it again, there is no direct translation for compact body. You may try "San Faat Siu Hau" where "Siu Hau" is small and smart. San Faat is the body method.

Phil Redmond
02-18-2005, 09:04 PM
you know I grew up in a British colony, they pronounce Jark as Jaak ;) after mixing Cantonese in their English. The R sound is totally gone.....

so does it make you feel bettaa? :D
Bettaa reminds me of a NY accent and that makes me feel bettaa.
;)
Phil