PDA

View Full Version : pressure points in old muay styles?

SevenStar
02-17-2005, 08:30 AM
I found this on a website eariler:

"Muay Paak Nuua boxers were famous for having extensive knowledge about vital points in the body. Muay Lampang boxers would often strike using the hands in a pincer-like action, grabbing and exerting pressure on vulnerable parts of the body. "

Mr Punch
02-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Is this why none of these styles has really survived, and Muay Thai has?!

Which site?

MasterKiller
02-17-2005, 08:34 AM
That's not the real Muay Thai.

gwa sow
02-17-2005, 08:38 AM
excuse my ignorance because i really dont know much about muay thai but has it always been kind of a "kickboxing" art or was it more like other traditional arts?

SevenStar
02-17-2005, 08:43 AM
muay has had various incarnations. the most recent is muay thai. the older muay have had more of a traditional aspect - From things I've read, the training was pretty much the same, but they had a wider range of techniques, like the ones on muaythai.com show. However, some, like muay chaiya sound alot like what the muay thai of today.

Mat, it came from ancient muay thai (http://www.ancientmuaythai.com/styles/muay_thai.htm)

ShaolinTiger00
02-17-2005, 08:54 AM
When you go thru the history of muay thai, you'll find that it has similariaites to other traditional martial arts.

but muay thai evolved when others didn't.

Sim Koning
02-17-2005, 08:56 AM
"Muay Paak Nuua boxers were famous for having extensive knowledge about vital points in the body. Muay Lampang boxers would often strike using the hands in a pincer-like action, grabbing and exerting pressure on vulnerable parts of the body.

sounds like tiger/eagle claw to me, interesting

In jow gar we have a double uppercut which you can see in the muay buran(sp?) form in Ong Bak. Notice I said form =)

SevenStar
02-17-2005, 09:24 AM
yeah, he does it at the beginning. I think he used it in one of the fights too. you won't find that being taught anymore really. If you find some krabbi krabong guys, you will learn weapons and forms, however. As ST said, MT changed...

Sim Koning
02-17-2005, 09:58 AM
this is all very similar to the relationship between quan fa and san shou.

SevenStar
02-17-2005, 04:09 PM
yeah, it is.