PDA

View Full Version : Buying equipment

SaekSan
02-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Question for you all...

I'll be buying some weight equipment for my school and have spoken to several of my students and it seems that the consensus is that we buy the following:

- Olympic bench
- Olympic 300lbs set
- Medicine balls
- Dumb bells w/ rack
- Interlocking mats for the weight area

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend we purchase?

Now, please keep in mind that this will mostly be used by my fighters so we're not looking for a full gym set-up. I'm trying to provide a good environment so my guys can save some money instead of going to a separate gym for their weight workout.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Chief Fox
02-17-2005, 09:22 AM
How about a pullup and dip station and maybe some kettle bells or clubbells.

SaekSan
02-17-2005, 09:26 AM
"pullup and dip station" is this what you mean?

here (http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1131629&cp=863232&clickid=body_aspot_txt&parentPage=family)

"kettle bells or clubbells"

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not too familiar with weight equipment, what are those?

red5angel
02-17-2005, 09:46 AM
pullup and dip station is a good idea.

Anything that can be done with kettle/clubbells can be done with dumbbells in my opinion, close enough to not warrant the extra money you spend on those when you could just purchase more weight for your dumb and bar bells.

Chief Fox
02-17-2005, 09:54 AM
I couldn't get to your link. Here's some pullup and dip stations. http://www.fit-senior.com/acatalog/Fit_Senior_Vertical_Knee_Raise___Chin_Station_119. html

Red5 makes a good point about the kettle bells and clubbells.

Here's a good site to check out: http://www.crossfit.com

SaekSan
02-17-2005, 10:03 AM
I think we can fit one of them in the budget

Chief Fox - I like your pullup+dip link better! :D and thanks for the other link, it looks really informative.

fa_jing
02-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by red5angel

Anything that can be done with kettle/clubbells can be done with dumbbells in my opinion, close enough to not warrant the extra money you spend on those when you could just purchase more weight for your dumb and bar bells.

Have you used kettlebells and clubbells? 'Cause I wouldn't quite put it like that. They might not be available where SaekSan is though.

red5angel
02-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I"m pretty sure he can get them in Wisconsin :D

No, I have not used club or kettlebells, because I use dumbbells instead ;)

fa_jing
02-17-2005, 10:46 AM
yeah, they are pretty expensive pieces of training equipment. I might recommend the adjustable kettlebell from www.uskettlebells.com for your class though. They are made in Rockford IL so you could even drive down and pick one up.

I think you can pretty much make a clubbell, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as nice as the premium version.

SaekSan
02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Ok, cool now I know what they are... I'll look into those as well although I'm still inclined to get the other equipment first, may purchase a kettle bell and club bell later.

Thanks FJ and Red!

Is there anything I should consider when buying the olympic bench?

fa_jing
02-17-2005, 11:26 AM
I would just get a flat sturdy bench, with adjustable rack. I'm not sure what an Olympic bench is.

red5angel
02-17-2005, 11:42 AM
I like a bench that has variable heights on it for incline and decline bench. It's not as necessary unless your bodybuilding but it still helps to change things up from time to time. And you get sweet t!ts

SaekSan
02-17-2005, 11:44 AM
This is the olympic bench I'm currently looking at:

http://www.mcsports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1386674&cp=1170115.1170136&parentPage=family

FngSaiYuk
02-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Power Rack ... or something that can hold a bar up for you when you wanna do heavy squats.

Also, you'll probably want more weight than 300lbs if you're gonna end up lifting heavy. Esp. if your 300lbs won't all fit neatly on your olympic bar.

SaekSan
02-17-2005, 12:40 PM
FSY,

Not really sure we're going to go really heavy. We're looking to supplement the fighting program so besides the regular workout and bag work they have some weight equipment too nithing fancy just the basics (for now).

I'll take a look at power racks though, thanks for the info.

Toby
02-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
Power Rack ... or something that can hold a bar up for you when you wanna do heavy squats.What he said. A bench alone is fine, but a rack opens up so many options. At the very least I'd get a squat rack. And with the matting, those interlocking ones are pretty thick aren't they? I'd do what I did and get thin rubber instead. If it's too thick you might have stability issues - that's why most guys lifting heavy here like flat soled shoes or bare feet for the heavy stuff over e.g. running shoes. Go to a rubber place and you can buy it off a big roll in whatever length you want - it's not cheap though.

What about a heavy bag? A thick (like a dockyard) climbing rope? Doing Oly lifts - a lifting platform (make your own)?

mickey
02-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi Saeksan,

You may want to save money by getting some of those things on your list second hand. Check the classifieds in your area. Ebay has some good buys as well. Weights are weights-- if they are a little old, a little spray paint will do just fine. With the money saved, you can get the other things on your list in better quality.

mickey

FngSaiYuk
02-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by mickey
Hi Saeksan,

You may want to save money by getting some of those things on your list second hand. Check the classifieds in your area. Ebay has some good buys as well. Weights are weights-- if they are a little old, a little spray paint will do just fine. With the money saved, you can get the other things on your list in better quality.

mickey

Excellent tip. I bought most of my weight set of over 600lbs for $100 used.

abobo
02-17-2005, 08:20 PM
I would get the bench and rack separately. Then you can use the rack for squatting.

Mo Lung
02-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Yeah, don't bother with that fancy ass bench. Get a pretty standard flat bench and a seperate rack so that you can squat. Even if you're not planning to go heavy, having safety in mind is important as the people will be trianing in your school, therefore under your liability. And check second hand for sure - save yourself heaps of cash.

Clubbells and kettlebells are a little too specific I think. Get the dumbells and at least two or three barbells, then several people can train at once (bench and squat rack for example) and a dip/pullup station is pretty essential.

Akhilleus
02-17-2005, 09:14 PM
SaekSan,

I've got a bench that can be inclined and declined to varying degrees and it's great...I got many of my free weights second hand...I've got about 265 lbs. of free weights and unfortunately that's not enough for my deadlifts...if you're doing stuff like squat and deadlift you might soon find 300 to be too light, if it isn't already too light, for your guys...

I've also got a universal made by Joe Wieder (yeah, I know he's a schmuck) but the thing is awesone...it's got many different things you can do...

I've got a pull up bar that can be put up in the doorway and taken down easily, and it holds my weight...so it's very convenient...but it BARELY holds my weight...and I'm like a buck 85...

I'd also get a cambered bar too for curls...barbells jack my wrists up...

Akhilleus
02-17-2005, 09:22 PM
I like a bench that has variable heights on it for incline and decline bench. It's not as necessary unless your bodybuilding but it still helps to change things up from time to time. And you get sweet t!ts

I agree on both points...I find flat bench gives me more of a workout in my shoulders than my chest...but as soon as I incline the bench too high the work goes back to my shoulders...so I like a bench with varying levels...however, I also agree that an adjustable may not be worth the extra money considering SaekSan's purposes (fight training)...

EDIT: make that all three points...you do get nice tits...and this can in turn help you to get more nice tits...;)

SaekSan
02-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys!

Toby,

The system we're looking at has a bench that's not attached to the rack and my guys said that it can be used as a squat rack (unfortunately I can't find a pic of it online). Opinions on that?

For heavybags we have a 50, a 75 and a 100 along with a speed bag and a double-ended in our bag area and we're adding a 125lbs 6' "banana bag" too.

It's funny you mention rope, one of the guys last night said exactly that, so I'll be looking into it as well.

Mickey,

Yes, we've been looking for second hand stuff and all of the weights we have have been donated by the crew. Thanks for the tip!

abobo,

That's what my guys were saying too. Thanks.

Mo Lung,

Thanks for the advice. What do you think about the medicine ball idea? We'll be picking up a dip/pull-up station for sure.

Akhilleus,

Thank for the tips too, I'll look into a cambered bar, maybe one of my guys has one.

Do you have any tips for weights being used for our type of fighting?

Also, still planning on coming over? I'll need your arrival date and departure so I can get you a room. Can you help in the refereeing?

Thanks again everyone!

:)

Akhilleus
02-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Do you have any tips for weights being used for our type of fighting?

Well honestly, I myself lift strictly for social reasons, and b/c I love lifting, so for me it is kind of an end in and of itself...I can say that pulling (rows, pullups) and curling (bicep) movements can really help you to control and throw a guy when you are grappling...I've found deadlifts to be a huge help in grappling...power cleans are great for explosiveness...oh and kneck exercises can really help strengthen your kneck and make you harder to knock out...I mean look at Bob Sapp he gets hit but his head doesn't really move so it doesn't hurt him that much....I've seen this thing you put on your head and hang weights from...If I were lifting for fighting purposes I would look into some things I could do for my kneck...

About the tournament, I will PM you...

Mo Lung
02-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Yep - if you know good med ball drills, then it's an excellent training aid. Rope climbing is also great for real strength development and good for grip too. Don't tie knots in the rope! ;)

Toby
02-23-2005, 06:18 PM
The system we're looking at has a bench that's not attached to the rack and my guys said that it can be used as a squat rack (unfortunately I can't find a pic of it online). Opinions on that?SaekSan - yeppers. I've got these (http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/FreeweightSystems/WPR78/WPR78.html) two (http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/SpecializedStations/PowerBenches/WFB350.html) and they're awesome. Super versatile that setup. Great for bench, squat, pullups. I'd also do some Oly lifts on it if my shoulder would let me. Most companies will have comparable racks. If I had more cash I would've got the next rack up from the same company for only US$200ish more, but here in Oz they charge ridiculous prices for the base model anyway.

One small piece of advice - you can move the rack pegs (in the power rack picture what the bar is resting on) but I bought some extra pegs because I'm lazy and I've got them set up at all the heights I need. Otherwise when I'm switching between bench and squat I'd need to drop the bar onto the spotter bars, pull out the rack pegs from the bench height, move them to squat height, and squat the bar up to the new rack peg position. Now I just get under the bar at bench height and squat it up to the squat rack pegs - no moving of the spotter bar. This is especially good because I only use the spotter bars when I'm nearing the end of a cycle (I already said I'm lazy).

SaekSan
02-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the advice guys. After a little talk around the guan one of the students is donating 450lbs (olympic) set with 3 different bars! :)

Akhilleus,

Yeah, the neck thing could definately help. I'll look around for it.

Toby,

Yeah, it's like a combo of those two, finished asselbly last night, the crew is pretty excited about it. I'll look into the extra peg thing, thanks!

GeneChing
02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
.... but we do carry puzzle mats (http://store.martialartsmart.net/mats.html) - I'm not sure how well these would work for a weight area, to be honest, but here they are anyway.

Mo Lung
02-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Best to avoid anything but thin rubber mats in a weights area. You don't want anything causing instability underfoot. It's good training once you are used to weights, even doing various weightlifting on a Swissball, but safety first for inexperienced lifters.

SaekSan
02-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Wow! A pack of 4 3x3 mats for $120.00??? I can get a pack of 8 2x2s at Sam's for $18.00...

MoLung,

We have the thin ones just to protect the floor, not too much give on those.

Mo Lung
02-25-2005, 08:13 PM
MoLung,

We have the thin ones just to protect the floor, not too much give on those.
Perfect.

Edit: 1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

:rolleyes: