PDA

View Full Version : Self-Defense vs. Fighting?

Fu-Pow
02-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Do you teach fighting (ie Ti Da Shui Na) or do you teach self-defense?

The way I see it, hand-to-hand fighting is a subset of means to defend yourself. However, it is not always the best way when there are other means available.

In other words, sometimes the best way to win a fight is not to fight at all. Or sometimes there is a better way to defend yourself then to resort to fisticuffs.

For example, one time my Taiji teacher showed us a way to break a bear hug that used ZERO Taiji at all. It consisted of digging our fingernails into the attackers cuticles, head butting the attacker and stomping on the top of the foot.

Also, when I think of "fighting" I tend to think of two willing participants (it could be for sport or "over" something) . In self-defense I tend to think of the attacker as the willing participant and the victim as just that...a victim. The mindset of "fighting" and self-defense appear to be different.

Do you structure your school to teach "self-defense" or is it primarily about "fighting" for you?

Furthermore, if you do teach "self-defense" out of the context of fighting then what do you teach? What makes you qualified to teach it? Especially, if you've never been in a position where you had to actually defend yourself or your life.

Just curious about peoples opinions and do they see the same difference.

SevenStar
02-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Furthermore, if you do teach "self-defense" out of the context of fighting then what do you teach? What makes you qualified to teach it? Especially, if you've never been in a position where you had to actually defend yourself or your life.

I think that's a very valid point. I've made a similar statement in the past. The thing is, you will never really know what real life experience a person has had... you can't really verify or quantify it.

Shaolinlueb
02-23-2005, 07:52 PM
well the question is, do you learn self defense can be used i the real world, or only in the classroom?

MasterKiller
02-23-2005, 08:38 PM
We teach fighting. Self-defense is for fat guys that can't do a push-up and like to carry knives.

IronFist
02-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Um what's the difference?

Vash
02-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Self-Defense is most often a tagline meaning the contents of a particular lesson-plan will contain specific reactions against specific actions. Rarely involves opposing resistance.

Now, I like drilling specific techniques. In fact, I'm going to say it's necessary. But, as I so often say, if one does not train on a sliding scale of resistance, then one is not going to learn how to actively apply what is learned.

And fu-pow is a btich.

Fu-Pow
02-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Um what's the difference?

I guess I see the difference mostly in the intent.

Fighting is a certain behavior. It could either be as a result of trying to defend yourself, it could be for sport, it could be to beat the crap out of somebody.

Self-Defense is the intent. Fighting is one of many behaviors that could be done in self-defense. But there are many others: For example, you could diffuse potentially violent situation using words. You could choose not to walk in a sketchy part of town. I know that in some rape defense classes they teach the women to pee or sh!t if the attacker tries to penetrate them. Using a gun in self-defense, etc, etc.

These are all done with the intent of "self-defense", can be very effective and yet they are not fighting (as I have defined it ie Ti Da Shui Na).

So my original question is....do you teach fighting or do you teach self-defense?

And furthermore, is there a responsibility as a "fighting" teacher to teach "self-defense?" Things that fall out of the realm of hand to hand combat. And if so, how are you qualified to teach it?

red5angel
02-24-2005, 11:01 AM
"And fu-pow is a btich."

DUH!!!!!

"So my original question is....do you teach fighting or do you teach self-defense?"

I've never seen anyone on this forum claim to teach self defense.

"And furthermore, is there a responsibility as a "fighting" teacher to teach "self-defense?"

Why would there be?