PDA

View Full Version : Application of Pai Sau?

Fu-Pow
02-23-2005, 03:58 PM
For CLF peeps, does anyone know what the application of Pai Sau "Split Hand" is (especially Diu Mah Pai Sau)?

The only thing I can figure is that it is some kind of break hold, possibly to block a kick. But why go back into a cat stance?

CLFNole
02-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Although we do this with two hands in a variety of stances (cat, knees bent or while kicking), this is primarily a single hand application. Two hands is primarily for form and to get one used to doing it on both sides.

The technique is a block and can be followed up quickly with a variety of chop choys. It can be used against a punch or kick.

Peace.

Fu-Pow
02-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Although we do this with two hands in a variety of stances (cat, knees bent or while kicking), this is primarily a single hand application. Two hands is primarily for form and to get one used to doing it on both sides.

The technique is a block and can be followed up quickly with a variety of chop choys. It can be used against a punch or kick.

Peace.

Hmmm....so when you use it for the application described which part of the hand/arm are you blocking with?

CLFNole
02-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Kind of the outer edge and/or top of the forearm depending on where the attack is coming from. It's almost kind of a goht sow. If a punch is coming towards your upper gate it would be more of the top of the forearm. If a kick was coming towards the middle gate it would be more the outer edge of the forearm.

In general I wouldn't use this technique much becuase I think others are more effective for the same end result.

Peace.

Ben Gash
02-23-2005, 07:02 PM
What's Pai Sau?

Fu-Pow
02-24-2005, 11:07 AM
What's Pai Sau?

Pai Sau is the motion at the beginning of many of LKH lineage forms. The sequence usually goes something like this Ping Jaang "Level Elbow", Kuk Saat "Bend Knees", Pai Sau "Split Hands."

The hands start up by the shoulders and then drop and split away from each other in a half-circle motion.

Other lineages might call it Fun Sau "Separate Hands."

Eddie
02-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Fu pow,
Its also a breaking holds type slap, I know wing chun have something similar, so does other styles. Before the guy grabs you, you slap his arms away. That’s also a reason why you bring your arms up ear height, you have to slap from above. It works very well. To follow up with a charp choy, or just about any punch, makes for a great finishing off move.

If you go over it with that technique in mind, you will see why its good in a cat stance. Single hand, and double hand, works both for me. I also have some san da techniques which I can use it for. Pitty I can show you, I suck at trying to explain stuff like this over a form. :)

Eddie

Fu-Pow
02-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Fu pow,
Its also a breaking holds type slap, I know wing chun have something similar, so does other styles. Before the guy grabs you, you slap his arms away. That’s also a reason why you bring your arms up ear height,

It seems like in the time it would take to bring your arms up that the opponent would have executed another move. Perhaps as you bring the arms up you can break the hold as well. Then as the arms drop it could be like a Daht Jeung attack?

you have to slap from above. It works very well. To follow up with a charp choy, or just about any punch, makes for a great finishing off move.

If you go over it with that technique in mind, you will see why its good in a cat stance

Yes, I can see that in the cat stance you are dropping your weight down and moving back. You break the hold and also free up your foot to kick the groin.

To break a hold it makes sense. To block a kick (like a round house) I usually move forward (not back) so that I can jam the leg before it picks up momentum.

Single hand, and double hand, works both for me. I also have some san da techniques which I can use it for. Pitty I can show you, I suck at trying to explain stuff like this over a form. :)

Eddie

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the day when we all have webcams and we can instantly post short movies onto forums. That will rock!!!

Mo Lung
02-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Man, this place won't even allow pictures! If you're talking about what I think you are, then the double hand is also used for balance and to help continue motion through after the technique.

Ben Gash
02-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah, the hand roll breaks the hold, and if they hold on, you can then strike it against your thigh/hip. If you tie in footwork,you can flow quite nicely into a hammerlock. It's funny, having done several lineages of CLF I've seen some extreme variations of this technique. For example, in the Malay lineage I know, it's quite a short motion, with the hands finishing palm up,parallel to the floor.

Ben Gash
02-24-2005, 09:35 PM
I know a cool northern longfist variant where you slam your chest and head into them as you do the fun sau. :cool:

Fu-Pow
02-25-2005, 11:05 AM
If you tie in footwork,you can flow quite nicely into a hammerlock.

What is a hammer lock?

Ben Gash
02-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Hard to explain, hammerlock is the wrestling term which seems to be the most common. Poon Kiu into a shoulder lock basically.
You know the illustration on the front of Lee Koon Hung's book? That lock but refined with the elbow bent behind the back.

Ben Gash
03-01-2005, 06:36 AM
Thinking about it at the weekend, you pull back into cat stance to draw them onto your knee. :cool:

Fu-Pow
03-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Thinking about it at the weekend, you pull back into cat stance to draw them onto your knee. :cool:

I could see that application.