PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 08:55 AM
So, word coming down through the grapevine is that I'll be living in San Francisco (Alameda, actually) round about August.

Who're my new neighbors?

red5angel
02-24-2005, 09:08 AM
MP, you're in the Coast Guard right? Are they a department of the Navy?

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Red,

Only during declared war, IF the Navy asks for us.

We're Department of Homeland (hate that term) Security.

red5angel
02-24-2005, 09:15 AM
They have a base in alameda?

I did get to talk to a CG guy when I was in the service and he told me that the basic training he went through was pretty intensive, a hell of a lot harder then standard Navy training. Gave me a lot more respect for those guys. that was at an overnight at Balboa in San Diego, I guess that's wahy I thought they belonged to the Navy.....

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 09:16 AM
They have a base in alameda

Yup. It's a nice one too.

CG Basic, according to some study, is supposedly only beat out by the Marines in terms of overall toughness.

red5angel
02-24-2005, 09:19 AM
yeah, that's the impression I got from this guy. He wsn't talking it up or anything but he was telling me about some of the stuff they had to do while in basic - I had just got out of basic at the time - and it sounded pretty rigorous. The only detail I can remember is he had to swim in full gear for a heck of a lot longer then I did!

Judge Pen
02-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Other than Gene, I think Monkey Slap Too is out there.

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Really? I thought he was in Chicago.

rogue
02-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Doesn't Gene Ching live in SF? That's one helluva an expensive place to live. What kind of living arrangments does the CG give you?

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 09:44 AM
They don't. I'll get a cost of living adjustment and basic allowance for housing. I'll be making around 500-600 more per month than I do in DC, which is also not cheap. Since that's all non-taxable, I'll be doin plenty ok. The increase will more than cover whatever rent I wind up with.

Looking at Merritt Lake in Oakland or Alameda Island again. (used to live out there).

Judge Pen
02-24-2005, 09:44 AM
He has family in Chicago and visits often, but I think he's located in SF.

rogue
02-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Glad to hear that MP. I loved SF when I was in Cali back in the early 80's, but back then it was still kind of inexpensive to live there. Are you still going to be doing the same job?

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Are you still going to be doing the same job?

Similar, but not identical. We'll leave it at that :D

red5angel
02-24-2005, 10:01 AM
look at this, the guy gets a promotion and suddenly DC is too small for him... :D

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Promoted? HAH! Not yet. I've got a couple of years before I make O-4.

The toughest thing will be figuring out where to train.

Ralph Gracie has a school in S.F. proper, but OpenDoor Jiujitsu is literally on the way from work to home and vice versa. Plus I need to find out more about each school and their "personalities...." I need to get the right match for me and my goals.

rogue
02-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Similar, but not identical. We'll leave it at that :DYes we will. :)

I need to get the right match for me and my goals
OK just shooting the sh!t, but what are your goals?

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Win the Pan Ams.

Place at/Win the Worlds.

Place in the ADCC North American Trials

Black Belt.

Treat myself to a fight on my 40th :D

rogue
02-24-2005, 10:16 AM
I treated myself to an Ice Cream Cake on my 40th. That tells you something about my goals or lack of them. :D

red5angel
02-24-2005, 10:26 AM
how old are you MP? I knew Rogue was an old guy but I thought you were more my age.

I cna't believe you didn't ask "Take over the world" to your list of things to do :P

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Oh, I'm only 29. But that IS one of my goals!

red5angel
02-24-2005, 10:33 AM
lol, a youngin eh? Well more power to ya. I hope to be doing capoeira at 40, or frankly just be alive at 40, that would be nice :p

rogue
02-24-2005, 10:35 AM
how old are you MP? I knew Rogue was an old guy but I thought you were more my age.

I cna't believe you didn't ask "Take over the world" to your list of things to do :P And a hardy FLOCK YOU to you Red! :mad: :D
I challenge you to a death match 18 months after I start my super secret special training. Which might be sometime after Christmas if all goes well. :D

norther practitioner
02-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Dude, just wait until New Years, everyone knows that the week between Xmas and New Years doesn't count...

rogue
02-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Good point NP, but then it's my moms birthday, and the kids Cub Scout meetings. [Checks calendar]hmmm where is some time for the SSS training? Red, I'll have to get back to you on the death match. :p

red5angel
02-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Tha's it Rogue! I'm gonna come down to your school after the holidays and teach you a lesson in front of al your students!!! :D

now I feel like I should post saying goodbye to this stupid forum, say things like you'll never see me again and stuff. Of course I won't go away..... :cool:

rogue
02-24-2005, 11:00 AM
You may have to wait since I may have challenged ST00 to a fictional match first but I'm not sure. But I can't start training for that until after I have my colonoscopy and that'll have me down and out for at least a year. Don't worry Red, I'll give you that death match as soon as I can. : :p

red5angel
02-24-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm down with the death match, but you're gonna have to come to my school, or wiat, since you challenegd me shouldn't I come to your school? I get these things confused sometimes.....

rogue
02-24-2005, 11:10 AM
I thought we were supposed to use a roof top. I have acrophobia so it'll have to be a one story at most. Crap, we just hijacked MPs thead. Let's end this like the old timers would. I wouldn't fight you anyway since your lineage is not pure.

Water Dragon
02-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Yup, MonkeySlap's out there. Gonna try out some Shuai Chiao Bro?

GeneChing
02-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Surely with a name like Merryprankster, you know your SF bar geography. ;)
Alameda will make you a proud member of the East Bay massive. You'll be joining most everyone here who works on the magazine. We're based in Fremont, less than half an hour south of Alameda. You'll have to stop by the office someday, once you come out. Let us know in advance and I'd be happy to give you a tour.

FWIW, I think Wally Jay (http://store.martialartsmart.net/b16-462h.html)is still in Alameda. I don't htink he's teaching anymore, but his students might still be.

Troy Dunwood
02-24-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm sure you'll find Alameda a nice quiet beach, military and retirement town. It is home to myself Troy Dunwood(ww.joybotsin.com) and my friend Chiu Chi Ling who you can see in the upoming american release movie"Kung Fu Hustle" or go to chinatown and get the dvd or cd chinese version, in any case, welcome.

Troy Dunwood

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Gene, I used to live there, so I know my geography pretty well.

Is 111 Minna still operative? Thanks for the invite!

WD, sure, you bet I'll give it a go. I'm betting it feels like....grappling. :eek:

Troy, pretty familiar with the area (used to live at South Shore Point), but thank you!

Indestructible
02-24-2005, 12:11 PM
The toughest thing will be figuring out where to train.

My friend Ryals is stationed at the Alameda Coast Guard base although he is presently overseas for another 3-4 months. He trains bjj although I not sure which school. At the very least you might have a workout partner when he gets back. Good luck on your move.

Water Dragon
02-24-2005, 12:36 PM
WD, sure, you bet I'll give it a go. I'm betting it feels like....grappling. :eek:

lol, ya think?

MonkeySlap Too
02-24-2005, 12:42 PM
My training partner Vince lives in Alameda. We've got a good crowd going, although you'll probably be the Alpha Dog for groundfighting based on your record... which is good for us :).

PM me... I'll get you my number.

When you get here, either Vince or I can help you find what you seek, and if your so inclined you can join our insane little band of old-world style strongman stunts and free-fighting. We've got all sorts: Ross, BJJ, Shuai Chiao, Xing-Yi, MT, KunTao, boxing, and even a BGZ guy. No 'school', no 'style', just training. Anyone is welcome who isn't a.) a p@ssy, b.) an egomaniac or C.) irritating. Folks take turns working on what they want to work on. The 'bodies', read unexperienced guys are given training as needed. Very informal. Been out of session for a while, but hopefully setting up again this Sunday.

Hopefully by August I'll be recovered from my knee stuff. Could be fun.

MonkeySlap Too
02-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Fairly certain 111 Mina is still going. Haven't been there in a year...

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 01:20 PM
MSToo,

Thanks for the invite. I will see what I can do. You will definitely see me from time to time, although I can't promise anything about regularity yet.

I definitely want to get with you though and find out what all the fuss is over this Chinese style wrastlin!!! :D

rogue
02-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Another one falls to the lure of Shuai Chiao. Better fit him for his jacket MST. :)

norther practitioner
02-24-2005, 01:25 PM
MSToo,

although I can't promise anything about regularity yet.

Um, try getting more fiber in your training...

MonkeySlap Too
02-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Jacket?

Oh yeah, methinks I'm better of without ANYTHING MP can grab...

Merryprankster
02-24-2005, 01:46 PM
SC jackets look like tons of fun.... if I get a solid "lapel" style grip on that sleeveless thing you guys where, you're never getting rid of me! :D

That said, yipes! I don't know I want to challenge you on your home turf there....

Water Dragon
02-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Just be careful if you're doing collar chokes with the SC jacket. The **** thing will slice right into your neck.

rogue
02-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Does decapitation count as a submission?

Water Dragon
02-24-2005, 02:25 PM
I think it counts as a knockout.

ShaolinTiger00
02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I hear the north south position is very popular among the SF BJJ'ers..

:rolleyes:

Water Dragon
02-24-2005, 02:51 PM
I think the back mount is the desired position Bro.

FatherDog
02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
****, I'm gonna miss seeing your ugly mug at Grappler's Quests :D Good luck with your move.

@PLUGO
02-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Is 111 Minna still operative?

last I checked it's still going strong. A friend of mine DJ's there often.

Alemeda's nice, Hell to get to and from what with that tube and bridge. Oakland's great!!! Been living there for a few years now currently just one exit away from Lake Merrit/Grand Lake.

not that it would be of any interest or anything.. jsut thought I'd test the "reply" page.

rogue
02-24-2005, 07:02 PM
I hear the north south position is very popular among the SF BJJ'ers..

:rolleyes:
Not bad, we it the way to the bottom of the third page before the first gay BJJ joke. :D Never train with a guy who turtles too quickly.

rubthebuddha
02-24-2005, 09:48 PM
i think ST00 had an extra J in there somewhere, but i'm not sure. either way, good luck on the move, mp.

kungfuyou
03-21-2005, 09:38 AM
I live in Dublin, 20 minutes south east of Oakland/Alameda.

Merryprankster
03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Wow, this thread came back from the dead! :D

Pork Chop
03-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Still haven't fully digested the fact that you guys are all leaving me!
Just found my Grappling magazine with mention of you in it; if we actually ever had another MD/VA/DC get together I might ask yah to autograph it. lol
Anyway, safe journeys bro.

Woodbridge, VA - this weekend, the 26, Combat Sports Challenge.
Muay Thai and MMA.
Akhilleus will be fightin.

Merryprankster
03-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Just found my Grappling magazine with mention of you in it

Huh?

msg too short.

Pork Chop
03-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm trying to remember the issue cover; but there's a Grappling magazine that talks about Team Lloyd Irvin's performances in this competition. They mention your name twice, but no pics, about how you got third after Brad Court in one division and how you got a collar choke on your first opponent in the open division.

They got a picture of Mike Fowler with his striped hair.

My memory's not worth it's weight in pocket lint; so I freely admit i could be mistaken on some of this; but I'm 100% sure they do name you in the mag.

We're in similar job fields, so I know that might not be good news with work and all; but it was still cool to see it and be like "I know that guy".

FatherDog
03-22-2005, 10:21 PM
My memory's not worth it's weight in pocket lint; so I freely admit i could be mistaken on some of this;

You are mistaken.

Fowler's hair was spotted, not striped. :D

Pork Chop
03-23-2005, 06:15 AM
lol :D

great fight for Kenflo the other night, way to hang in there and keep fighting; if u or ST00 see 'im, let 'im know.