PDA

View Full Version : Kind of OT: Altitude

Ming Yue
02-25-2005, 10:26 AM
I live at 2900 feet. Last week on vacation I was hiking around Yosemite (4000 - 6500 ft) with no problems. Some of my low elevation California family (my brother lives at about 15ft above sea level) were complaining about feeling short of breath. He's a pretty fit guy.

For those of you who live at higher elevations, do you find that you get less gassed than flatlanders in general? Are you cardio monsters at low elevations?

Chief Fox
02-25-2005, 10:53 AM
For those of you who live at higher elevations, do you find that you get less gassed than flatlanders in general? Are you cardio monsters at low elevations?

I live at 6,500 feet above sea level. When I go up in the mountains to run, hike or mountain bike I can be anywhere from 7,000 to 14,000 feet above sea level.

I'm originally from Pennsylvania, just outside Philadelphia. Probably only a couple hundred feet above sea level. When I go back there I can run forever and I can easily push harder than my friends when mountain biking. The only thing that gets to me is humidity.

Nice pictures by the way.

norther practitioner
02-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I used to live at 7500 feet... then I moved back down to the city (5280 feet) and my cardio was good, now that I haven't been hitting it hard, I've noticed a decline (plus the fact I've been sick). When I ski I'm between 9000 feet and 13,000 feet.... and I definitely feel it. But thats how I'm trying to get my cardio in on the weekends, hiking up to about 12,000 at Keystone with my skis on my back and wearing my ski boots....

but yeah, when I go to tournements, which are all lower in elevation, I can feel it a little.

Ming Yue
02-25-2005, 11:43 AM
interesting...

so when you guys to go tourneys local to you, I bet you see a whole lot of out of towners sucking wind.

Thanks CF, Yosemite is such an amazing place it's impossible not to take a good picture. You could drop your camera and it'd be a good shot. :)

Ford Prefect
02-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Nice. A trip to Yosemite just popped up this week. The wife and I aare heading there after we do Baker. Her sister is moving to LA, so while we're in the area we are going to hit Cali and Yosemite. Where is it in conjunction to San Fran and LA? Her other sister lives in San Fran, so we were going to visit each with a Yosemite trip in between.

Ford Prefect
02-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Nevermind. Just got off my lazy arse and looked:

http://www.redwoodsinyosemite.com/map.htm

We won't be able to take the PCH all the way again like we did last time, but it would be worth it.

Ming Yue
02-25-2005, 12:32 PM
That sounds like a good trip, I can't wait to go back, I'm dying to do the 17 mile half dome hike but it (and many of the other areas/trails) was closed for the winter.

If you decide to stay over in Yosemite, we stayed in the Yosemite Lodge. Nice rooms right on the merced river, and not too exspensive as it's just outside the park. In the park can be pricey. Make sure to wander through the Awahnee hotel while you're there, it's like walking into the movie The Shining.

More pictures....

Ford Prefect
02-25-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't know how much hiking we'll be up for coming from a 6-day mountaineering trek. Thanks for the advice about the Lodge. I'm not sure if we'd be up for more tent living or not. I guess we'll wait and see. If you do a multi-day hike, do you need a camping permit or anything?

norther practitioner
02-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Tournies here don't really happen...

well there are the local kayratee tournies. But not much that people come into town for.

Ming Yue
02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Camping inside the park is either car camping-family style or tent cabins. You do need a wilderness camping permit to backcountry camp, you can get one at the visitor's center. You'll pay a daily or weekly park use fee when you come in - we paid $20 for one vehicle for the week, that gives you full access to the park for day use.

more info: http://www.yosemite.national-park.com/camping.htm

Most of the backcountry type trails are closed in the winter. The walks to the waterfalls are very short and easy, usually paved. If you can bring mountain bikes, that would be the best thing . I was wishing I had brought mine...

Ming Yue
02-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Tournies here don't really happen...

well there are the local kayratee tournies. But not much that people come into town for.

hehe... I think that's spelled "Crotty".

norther practitioner
02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Nice pics by the way...
Some of it makes me miss me old casa..

speaking of mt. bikes, I'm thinking of doing my first ride this afternoon...

/looks at clock/

Later dudes and dudettes.

Mo Lung
02-25-2005, 08:16 PM
hehe... I think that's spelled "Crotty".
I always thought it was karoddy...?

MoreMisfortune
02-25-2005, 08:50 PM
oh yeah altitude is a very important issue

the brazilian soccer team has serious problems when they gotta play in higher places here in south america such as Equador and others.
the heights make their physical resistance go down very fast
so they try/have tried several adaptation tactics.
either staying where the game is for a good period of time or arriving quickly (1 day before the game, i think)... but im not sure if they have reached a final veredict on the best method
truth is its always very hard fighting altitude

also some long distance runners train in higher places before competing in lower places, helps them too.

rubthebuddha
02-25-2005, 11:38 PM
it's part of why people from kenya (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/29/) roxors so many boxors when they travel elsewhere for races.

red5angel
02-28-2005, 10:29 AM
isn't that why there is a big olympic training center in Colorado, because training at high altitudes makes you a rockstar?

Oso
02-28-2005, 08:31 PM
AFAIK, the % of oxygen decreases the most per foot between 4 and 7 thousand feet. But, I could be wrong.

MY, check your PM's if you haven't yet.

norther practitioner
02-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah, down in Chief Fox's neck of the woods.. thats where the olympic trainin' center is....

That and some bible pushers, and maybe one or two cool people. The rest of the cool people seem to have moved up here. :eek: ;)

I'm not sure about the O2 % big bear, but I'll tell you, at 13,000', it feels like slim pickings... thats why I give so much props to mountaineers that go into the death zone... I think they say thats about 20k + or something.. and everest is how much higher... lol

I've eaten with this guy Dave whos summitted everest like a gagillion million times. Gives good slide shows on it.

edit:
wow, lol, talking about elevation, this post for me... 5280....

mile high baby, join the club

Oso
03-01-2005, 04:10 AM
ok, I was waaaay off if this is correct...not sure where I picked up that piece of bad info...oh, wait, I do....****, and i can't kick his ass...

http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/oxygen.htm

Chief Fox
03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah, down in Chief Fox's neck of the woods.. thats where the olympic trainin' center is....

That and some bible pushers, and maybe one or two cool people. The rest of the cool people seem to have moved up here. :eek: ;)

You should say "up" in Chief Fox's neck of the woods because Colorado Springs is over 1000 ft. higher than Denver. :D

I also live on the West side with the non bible pushing cool people. :cool:

Speaking of Altitude, I just signed up for The Pikes Peak Ascent http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/

It's a race to the top of Pikes Peak at 14,110 ft. With a total elevation gain of 7,815 ft. I've run it twice before. Last year I ran it in 4:23. There was 3 inches of snow at the top on August 21st the day of the race. Two years before I ran it in 4:44. This year I'm looking to run it in 3:50. I'll be doing plenty of altitude training this spring and summer.

red5angel
03-01-2005, 10:57 AM
"wow, lol, talking about elevation, this post for me... 5280.... "

amateur......

Actually I liked the west side of colorado springs. I'd take CS over Denver any day, that dirty town. Now where your livin NP, if it were so inundated with college hippie types, I'd be happy there too.

Ming Yue
03-01-2005, 04:34 PM
hippies suck.

Oso
03-01-2005, 06:52 PM
hippies suck.

noooooo.....Ninjas Suck(tm)

hippies stink.

norther practitioner
03-01-2005, 07:07 PM
I'm happy if either suck... erm, nevermind.

dirty... lol, thats funny..

Oso
03-01-2005, 09:14 PM
'round here...you gotta say 'dirty' before 'hippie'.

kinda like 'yankee' don' sound the same wi'out '****' in front of it.

unkokusai
03-03-2005, 04:59 PM
When I was in Lhasa about 50% of the foreigners who came in dropped within two days. Needed some medication to improve their situation.