PDA

View Full Version : Real Biu Jee

marcelino31
10-29-2001, 05:20 PM
I don't believe that biu jee is just for use in emergency situtations and to gain the centerline if it has been taken from you or to gain control over the centerline of your opponent. The concept of the centerline is a tricky one. Many wing chun fighters fight their opponent square on -ie they fight on the inside. In this situation the centerline between the opponents is a straight line drawn from their solar plexuses. In slant body wing chun we fight on the blind side and are usually in a parallel leg situation. We are able to exchange blows to the opponents body using both arms; whereas the opponent usually has only one arm to fight against your two. In this case you have lost the in-fighting centerline i have already described but you are in an advantageous position nevertheless.

To successfully perform biu jee your body must be totally relaxed -- especially your arms. It is important to do SLT on a regular basis
to achieve the state of relaxtion and to train the intent for use in biu jee. Biu jee also uses the waist energy (yiu lik) that you have trained and developed in chum kiu. Biu jee can be used in any stage of combat. It trains for explosive power release and is akin to a snake...You aim at the target and strike and recoil back quickly. Biu jee refines the use of energy and focusing of energy. With biu jee you can learn to inflict damaging strikes using a single finger(this is useful for dim mak pressure point hitting). Many biu jee techniques can only be used successfully once contact with the opponent is achieved...ie you must control the opponents balance (usually by controlling his elbow) before you can successfully target a pressure point. The version of biu jee that i study is a little bit different than other versions. Instead of moving your waist and arm movements 90 degrees and stepping to the side your arm movements are at 45 degree angle and we step at 45 degrees. In the first section of biu jee when performing the elbow strikes (kup jarn) there is a possiblity to lose your balance if you are not properly grounded in your stance(this will be more apparent if you put all your weight on the back leg) Cheung style wing chun, Augustine Fong style, Wong Shong Leung style advocate a 50-50 wait distribution. This lets you also deal with recieving an opponents force without having to shift your center of gravity.Also the 45 degree kup jarn shift feels more powerful than turning 90 degrees (chung k chow mentions this on his biu jee video as well). Also when doing the elbow strikes it is important that your energy be focused in your elbow and you don't want to tighten your elbow arm hand as this will impede your release of power.

It is important to coordinate your biu jee arm movements and strikes with your footwork -- in particular you want to land your foot at the same time while performing the strike in this way you get your full body weight behind the movement.

THe Biu jee form introduces several new techniques, arm movements, and combinations to the wing chun system.
The elbow strikes (down/up/diagonal). Biu jee strikes horizontal and vertical above the arm and below the arm.
Double gan sao with huen sao and pak sao.
Quan Sao with double palm stikes.
Fut sao with triple biu sao and vertical bil jee strike
lop sao with low and high bil jee strikes
The downward bend plus upward clearing motion.

Footwork involves moving from a neutral side stance to a forward stance.
Moving forward at 45 degree angles. And the use of T-stepping pattern.
Kicks that are used include front kick, side kick, and inverted side kick.

Biu jee gives you and extra 4 inches of reach compared to using a fist or palm. When doing biu jee to your opponent you should strike to soft tissue. On contact you should bend your wrist(similar the way a fencer bends his foil on contact) to avoid absorbing all the energry in your fingers which might injure them.

The true test of a biu jee master is if he can break a wooden board using biujee(I once saw Blaine Collins break a board in half with a powerful biu Jee strike at a party celebration for Grandmaster William Cheung). Also there are some masters(Grandmaster Cheung is one of them)
who can perform biu jee strikes to hard areas like the ribs.

Many methods can be used to train and develop the biu jee strike and strengthen the fingers. You can do pushups on your fingertip
Lift a round jar filled with water gripped by your finger tips. Hit a piece of leather hanging up. Fill a basket with sand and small stones and practice striking into it at first strike just up to your finger tips when you are more adept you can penetrate with your whole hand.

Biu jee should be done fast(as fast as you can)and with refined precision. Your mindset should be that of a snake and fox - aggressivesnes combined with sneakiness and cleverness. Use biu jee to end a fight as quickly as possible.

joy chaudhuri
10-29-2001, 08:33 PM
Marcelino sez that the true test of a biu jee master is breaking a board with your fingers. Thats nonsenese IMO, FWIW. That is more karate than wing chun.

Bessho
10-29-2001, 09:05 PM
Hi Yuan Fen

Board breaking is accepted as a karate "device" in todays pop culture, Right?

But if we learn and practice Bil Jee, how do we build our confidence that (1) we won't break our fingers if we use it? (2) that the technique actually works.

What if the time I use the bil jee, something unexpected happens and I wind up striking bones instead? How do I train my fingers for that circumstance? I don't think breaking wood is a good way to train...

How does one train their fingers to be solid darts to really have confidence in using it? Please don't tell me its in the form.

Honestly - Ken

dzu
10-29-2001, 09:31 PM
Bessho,

Your intention and energy go to the finger tips, but you don't necessarily have to strike with the finger tips. Biu Jee/Biu Sau is not limited to being only a finger strike.

Dzu

joy chaudhuri
10-29-2001, 11:21 PM
Dzu is essentially correct. Learning how to control the energy and the intent all the way to the extremities is more important than hitting actually with the fingers. If and when fingers encounter something board breaking skills will actually be counter productive. You would be stiff
and a competent person will break your fingers or
fingers will break when you hit something hard unexpectedly. To anyone- best to check all this with top flight wing chun sifus.No personal attacks on anyone.

wingchun.com
10-30-2001, 12:37 AM
Right on the money guys.

marcelino31
10-30-2001, 01:07 AM
Only a true Biu Jee master should attempt to strike a board with his fingers.
Yuen Fen what makes you think that a master would stiffen his fingers or finger when striking with biu jee? Biu jee as well as the mook yan jong are designed for dim mak pressure point hitting.

Biu Jee Translated means darting/thrusting fingers..If you don't know that then you nothing about biu jee

dzu and Yuen Fen

"Don't Let the door hit you where the good lord split you".

Bessho
10-30-2001, 01:12 AM
So you all say there ain't no need to train the fingerz? Some sifus I met told me that they can generate incredible power with their fingers. But then I remember my physics classes at university. Action and reaction. If fingers generate say, 500 units of force, isn't 500 units of force comming back on the fingers at impact? Does intention deal with this common law of physics?

Maybe intention is only part of it. The mind is willing but the body is weak? It may not be boards but there should be some kind of training to prepare the fingers for that kind of impact. Thoughts?

Watchman
10-30-2001, 01:50 AM
Board breaking (as is being described through finger thrusting), IMO, is an expression of the wrong type of power in regrads to Biu Tze, as it requires more of a stabbing/stiffening effect at impact.

Training in Biu Tze should lead to the development of a characteristic whipping power (sometimes referred to as "silk-reeling" or fajing).

A good way to try to express this power is to put five to six full sheets of standard newspaper together, hang it from one end, and explode all of them completely in half simultaneously with your finger strike.

With the newspaper being supported at one end only, if you try to stab through them with the type of force used to break wood the newspaper will run away from the force, or at best all you will do is poke your fingers through the sheets and make a little hole.

You want explosive power that will rupture soft tissue. If you want to stab things, use a knife.

joy chaudhuri
10-30-2001, 02:17 AM
Marcellino sez"Biu Jee Translated means darting/thrusting fingers..If you don't know that then you nothing about biu jee
dzu and Yuen Fen"
--------------------------------------Reply:
Amazing comment: I have been doing biu jee longer than you have been doing wing chun. Cheers anyway.
-----------------------------------------
Bessho asks:"It may not be boards but there should be some kind of training to prepare the fingers for that kind of impact. Thoughts?"
---------------------------------------Reply:
1.The fingers get strengthened in the right way over time. Every time you do the huen sao and related movements with intent you strengthen the fingers.
2 Deliberate mok jong work(not hitting the mok jong with fingers) strengthens the fingers.
3. The do and the kwan work when properly done strengthens the fingers.
4. careful impact training can involve gentle tapping on palm bag from time to time..
There is more but that should do. Lord Bruce was plain wrong about the way he held his fingers and finger push ups--stiffens you up. He never learned biu jee anyway-same for many folks now teaching it IMO.

dzu
10-30-2001, 02:29 AM
Bessho,

IF you are going to be hitting things with your fingers, then yes you have to condition them. But if that is all you use Biu Jee/Biu Sau for then you are severely limiting your Wing Chun. Biu Jee has many more applications than striking with the fingers. It also has many better striking surfaces if the intention is trained properly. The problem with conditioning is that it goes away with time so you have to constantly do it. I'd rather spend that time training better applications for Biu Jee.

Dzu

marcelino31
10-31-2001, 06:53 PM
duh? didn't you read my original post?

hunt1
11-01-2001, 12:23 AM
You are a very funny guy.keep up the jokes.Pulling everyones leg with this william cheung is the greatest nonsense is great fun.

marcelino31
11-01-2001, 01:14 AM
The post is on biu jee not on Grandmaster Cheung...

whippinghand
11-05-2001, 05:21 AM
Can you clarify the 1st paragraph of your initial post? The centreline stuff is ambiguous.

CLOUD ONE
11-05-2001, 05:16 PM
I think what he was trying to say is that his opponent is a 'wooden dummy' ;)

marcelino31
11-06-2001, 06:50 PM
i am wanting less and less to post on this site seem slike anytime you say something some one is trying to test your knowledge and simply wants to prove wrong anything you say...with this atmosphere i do not wish to contribute....

Sihing73
11-06-2001, 07:54 PM
Hello,

I am sorry that you feel like posting less due to the personalities found here. I think this is one of the better Wing Chun boards around but I am sure there are better ones just as there are worse ones ;)

I think that some may have taken offense due to your almost childlike adoration of certain instructors. By first coming to the board and seeming to say one person had the "real" Wing Chun it is only fair that some would take issue, especially if they practice under another :cool:

If you are truly interested in discussing the art then this is the place to be. Sometimes people get a little out of hand but in the end all usually find a way to discuss things. Don't be surprised if you get a little flack and attitude particularily if you post something which can be considered infammatory. The stigma can follow you even to other, less volatile topics.

The best course of action is to simply ignore comments which you feel are slights and move on with the topic at hand. Nothing is served by bandying words especially in this medium.

You are welcome, as is everyone else, to discuss Wing Chun here. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Peace,

Dave

Spark
11-06-2001, 07:55 PM
HERE, HERE!!!

marcelino31
11-06-2001, 11:01 PM
First of all i don't adore or childlessly adore anyone... I am simply stating what i know from experience. I have trained in different versions of wing chun and i have an opinion on what is the most complete best version of wing chun for combat that is out there in the mainstream.

If people take offense to this then that is their problem.I do not put down other sifus or wing chun practitioners still its just like in a boxing bout -- if i had to bet i would bet on the man i would think most likely to win a match; likewise i am betting on what i think is the most effective version of wing chun all other things being equal.

Shadowboxer
11-06-2001, 11:18 PM
On the topic, I don't think BT is just for emergency situations. Off the topic, Marcelino, do you expect anyone here to believe that what you say is true? If you have not studied all versions of WC, you can't really say Cheung's version is the best, can you?

reneritchie
11-06-2001, 11:36 PM
I've usually found the question pretty much as meaningful and productive as "what is the best/most complete car?"

Rgds,

RR

Martin Foot
11-06-2001, 11:43 PM
I can understand your viewing point. TWC uses very sophisticated principles, & I believe you could possibly adapt some of these principles to your communication skills, & then I reckon you'll have more success in assisting others in listening to & getting value from what you have to say.

Sincere Regards

Martin Foot
Body Mind & Spirit Kung FU