PDA

View Full Version : New Isometrics Site

Andy62
02-26-2005, 12:01 PM
It is a work in progress and frequently shut down as new material is being added,but keep trying.

http://www.geocities.com/musclemetrics/

Toby
02-27-2005, 05:27 PM
:rolleyes: Why should I keep trying? What does it offer that I need?

Andy62
02-27-2005, 06:55 PM
You might learn something. You never know.

Toby
02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Yeah, but you post a broken link and expect us to keep trying it - why? You've gotta sell it instead of doing your usual and just saying "Check this link". Why would I keep trying a broken link?

Andy62
02-27-2005, 07:03 PM
I have no control of the link. I think there is some interesting information there,but every body has to decide if it is worth digging for.

Toby
02-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Well, that's my point. I was willing to give it a read even though you presented no information about what might be there, but it's been broken each time I've tried. I can't decide whether it's worth digging for if you provide no information on its content, hence I'm not gunna try again.

Andy62
02-27-2005, 07:17 PM
I just tried it and got through. It is a new site and a work in progress. From his intro he has some interesting books there that should be coming up in the future. I plan to check it periodically.

Mo Lung
02-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.

IronFist
02-27-2005, 11:16 PM
I just got in. You guys aren't missing anything, unless you didn't know that it's technically a chest workout if you press your hands together in front of your stomach.

Andy62
02-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Hey fist-No wonder you are a wannabe. If you think isometrics are just pushing your arms in front of your chest you are way behind. With that kind of attitude you will be destroyed in the real battles of life. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Samurai Jack
02-28-2005, 01:14 AM
Hey fist-No wonder you are a wannabe. If you think isometrics are just pushing your arms in front of your chest you are way behind. With that kind of attitude you will be destroyed in the real battles of life. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

:eek: I think I just peed my pants a little. Jeezus.

JadeMantis
02-28-2005, 06:11 AM
Hmm this should be interesting.....

Judging by the posts I've read from Ironfist around the forums I would say that he DEFINATLEY knows what hes talking about. Sounds like a very experianced guy.

Waits for Ironfist reply with anticipation......

Chief Fox
02-28-2005, 09:24 AM
I just got through to the site and was relieved to find that the author first got interested in isometrics by ordering a small training booklet through an advertisement commonly found in comic books.

As you know, comic book ads are extremely reliable and truthful. I'm sure everyone remembers the ad where the skinny guy gets sand kicked in his face at the beach. And thanks to his comic book ad training program not only does he beat up the bully but he gets the girl too. And who can forget Sea Monkeys? Where would we be without these hidden gems of the fitness industry?

I also just read in the FAQ that you only need to hold each contraction for 6-10 seconds. This is great! I just completed my first Isometric workout in a total of 45 seconds and this included 3 water breaks. I feel so refreshed and energized almost like I did no workout at all!

Unfortunately I found out from the site that most printed pamphlets and books on the subject of isometrics are out of print and are no longer available. (I wonder why?) But the author of the site recommends used book stores and online aution sites to find the material.

I can't wait until tomorrow to do my second isometric workout. I've been wasting hours in the gym strength training when I could have done it all with isometrics in a fraction of the time.

Thank you Andy62!

Samurai Jack
02-28-2005, 10:50 AM
****! Now Chief Fox is going to kick everyones butts on the "Virtual Lifts" just like Andy does. Watch out guys, they're going to "destroy (us) in the real battles of life."

Andy62
02-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Chief Fox, I can't disagree with what you say. The isometrics fad really got going during the 1960s with the help of Bob Hoffman. Later it was realized that Hoffman was also experimenting with steroids at the time and all of the credit for improvement in strength was given to steriods. There is a new interest in isometrics that was started by Steve Justa in his book "Rock Iron Steel" and his concept or "aerobic isometrics." Matt Furey picked up on this in his " Gama Fitness" course and there are other new updated books on the drawing board. John Peterson of Bronze Bow Publishing teaches John McSweeny's "Tiger Moves" adaptation of Kung Fu Tensing exercises along with isometrics and included them in his two best selling books "Pushing Yourself To Power" and " The Miracle Seven" and these are totally up to date publications. Peterson has two new isometric books on the drawing board and it is rumored that Pavel is coming out with a book on isometrics. Stay tuned!

Ford Prefect
02-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Static contractions can work to a certain extent. Since the body never has to deal with an actual load though, the connective tissue stays nearly unchanged. So now you have stronger muscles and the joints of somebody that doesn't workout much... Not a good combo. I think well balanced routines seeking a well-balanced strength take many things into account and use many technique including isometrics. I'd never make them a staple of a routine for any prolonged period of time though. There are too many things out there that provide better results.

Andy, Iron is pretty knowledgeable about strength training. Looking at the things you usually post I don't think you should be the one talking.

Chief Fox
02-28-2005, 12:17 PM
****! Now Chief Fox is going to kick everyones butts on the "Virtual Lifts" just like Andy does. Watch out guys, they're going to "destroy (us) in the real battles of life."

You do know that I was joking right? :D

Samurai Jack
02-28-2005, 01:46 PM
You do know that I was joking right? :D

Yeah, but did you know that I knew?

Chief Fox
02-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah, but did you know that I knew?

I think I knew that you knew. Wasn't sure, but now I know.

Andy62
02-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Ford I agree with you that a balanced program is the answer. Isometrics alone won't do it. At the same time I think there is some exciting new stuff coming out on isometrics.

Mo Lung
02-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Wow, there's a resurgent interest in isometric training and Matt Furey and Pavel are about to release books on it? Well, it must be awesome then, because those two certainly aren't the type to just leap blindly onto any commercial bandwagon that can make them another buck are they!

Andy62
02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
I basicly agree with you,but it is a good indicator in my opinion of what is hot and where the interest is.

Samurai Jack
02-28-2005, 02:54 PM
I basicly agree with you,but it is a good indicator in my opinion of what is hot and where the interest is.

Which is NOT a good indicator of what methods are actually effective.

Toby
02-28-2005, 07:16 PM
And who can forget Sea Monkeys? Where would we be without these hidden gems of the fitness industry?I'm looking at some Sea Monkeys as I type. I always wanted some of those little fuckers and 20yrs after I used to read comics my boy gets some for his birthday.

Mo Lung
02-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy62

-----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack
Which is NOT a good indicator of what methods are actually effective.
Exactly. The large majority of people are ignorant sheep looking for a quick fix and a fast return on their dollar and they'll buy into what everyone else says is great. That's why things like the diet industry are worth billions of dollars a year.

Andy62
02-28-2005, 08:01 PM
As Charles Revson [the founder of Revlon Cosmetics said when asked the secret of his fortune] " I never promised any of those women that my cosmetics would make them beautiful, but I gave them hope-HOPE IS THE GREAT MOTIVATOR." Many of these courses will not live up to their promises,but many of them do provide the starting point for people to build on. This is true in the martial arts field as well.

IronFist
03-01-2005, 10:13 AM

omg lol @ that post.

Dude, at least get the context right. Under my name is says "Wannabe MMA Guy," because there are no MMA schools around me; there are just McDojos and the like. It has nothing to do with weight lifting or anything.

But seriously, everything Ford said about isometrics is correct. They have their place (which is very small, if any) in a practical exercise program. If someone were to do an entire routine of isometrics their results would be fractional compared to a routine that actually involves weights. Why do you think no elite level weight lifters use them? Why do you think no professional fighers use them? Why do you think no professional athletes, for that matter, use them? Because they don't have much place in an effective workout.

IronFist
03-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Static contractions can work to a certain extent. Since the body never has to deal with an actual load though, the connective tissue stays nearly unchanged.

What about pressing your palms together in front of your body? That is technically a load, right, since your hands are experiencing resistance? I'm not saying it's a good exercise, but I think technically it counts as a load.

Andy62
03-01-2005, 12:47 PM
I will admit that I have always been fascinated wtih isometrics and think in the 1960s they were over promoted and then overly rejected. From what I see around the boards on the internet I think we are seeing a revival of interest in isometrics. Having said that I don't think that isometrics or any other single type of exercise is sufficient to develop and condition someone for most sports and certainly not combat sports. Weights, isometrics, isokinetics, plyometrics, machines, calisthenics etc all have their application and when done in the right combination and oriented toward the individuals bodytype are the most effective way to train. I basicly agree with what Ford said.

Samurai Jack
03-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Having said that I don't think that isometrics or any other single type of exercise is sufficient to develop and condition someone for most sports and certainly not combat sports. Weights, isometrics, isokinetics, plyometrics, machines, calisthenics etc all have their application and when done in the right combination and oriented toward the individuals bodytype are the most effective way to train. I basicly agree with what Ford said.

Ten.. hut!

About... face!

Forward... march!

Andy62
03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
No about face - Hi dittle dittle right up the middle!