PDA

View Full Version : OT: Supersize me

Merryprankster
02-27-2005, 02:57 PM
So, I finally saw this. Have to say the folks who are talking about how awful corporate america is and McDonalds, etc, are missing the real commentary.

Seems to me, the documentary was really a commentary on American lifestyle habits.

If I ate McD's three times a day and limited my exercise, I'd get fat too...

So the show is really about how fat people eat badly and don't exercise.

Screw corporate responsibility on this one.

SimonM
02-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Perhaps both messages are important to the film, that's what I got from it.

rogue
02-27-2005, 03:09 PM
We must blame corporate America for our troubles or we have to admit the problem is us.

WinterPalm
02-27-2005, 03:28 PM
The problem definately rests on the shoulders of the people. However, it is the corporations who provide and abuse the weakness that are also to blame. I mean really, we blame drug dealers and give them worse sentences than the users. And how many drug dealers would say they want their clients to die?

Vash
02-27-2005, 03:42 PM
At one time, it was said: "eat **** and die."

That wasn't a suggestion, it was a warning.

If you're too stupid to understand bad food = bad health, you deserve what comes.

wdl
02-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Well said Vash.

Corp. America can't be blamed for fast food. People want it and are willing to spend the almighty dollar on it. If people didn't want fast food it wouldn't exist. It's a matter of supply and demand. The world's economy exists on it. If everyone completely 100% boycotted McDonalds for 6 months it would fold up and die, but it'll never happen.

-Will

mickey
02-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Greetings,

I do believe in the responsibilty of the people to make decisions and be responsible for the outcomes of those decisions. Yet, people make decisions based on the information that is available to them. There was a time when cigarette manufacturers denied that there was anything wrong or addictive with cigarette smoking. And many believed in the information provided them. And now we all know that they were lying and even had the data to prove that they were lying all along.

That being said, a great many Americans, probably millions, are suffering from SATURATED FAT ADDICTION. This includes almost all fast food restaurants from McDonalds, to your local Chinese take out food to your local pizzeria. A great many of these "corporations" have spent the millions to find out these things and they are cashing in on it; yet, is there readily available information on saturated fat addiction that would enable the consumer to make an informed decision or get help if necessary? There is not even a five minute spot on the news.

mickey

SimonM
02-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Well said Vash.

Corp. America can't be blamed for fast food.

If they never advertised that would be true but they do a lot to convince people that eating at McPigs is actually healthy!

However Weber would have said that Corp America is a reflection of the tendency towards rationalization and numeration in American society that is a direct consequence of the protestant work ethic. So it could be said that America (and Canada and England and France and Germany, they are the main culprits) can be blamed for Corporate America.

The remedy is three-pronged. First: advertising needs to be fought. This is why I love culture jammers; they are creating awareness about advertising and advertising is most effective if people are not aware of how images and symbols are manipulated to invoke desire at an unconscious level. Second: greater emphasis must be placed on critical thinking skills at the elementary and highschool levels of schooling. If people learn to think for themselves they will be less inclined to act like stupid sheep. Third: people need to opt out of Corporate America. Buy fresh fruit from a farmers market and meat from an independant butcher, eat in, wear no-name clothing or de-brand "brand name" clothing. Walk or ride a bike instead of driving a car.

That or we need a violent revolution where the proletariat will rise up and overthrow the bourgeoisie and their running dog lackies, establishing a workers utopia. ;) :D

MasterKiller
02-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Well said Vash.

Corp. America can't be blamed for fast food. People want it and are willing to spend the almighty dollar on it. If people didn't want fast food it wouldn't exist. It's a matter of supply and demand. The world's economy exists on it. If everyone completely 100% boycotted McDonalds for 6 months it would fold up and die, but it'll never happen.

-Will
Sorry, but McDonald's markets primarily to kids. They want to establish users at an early age and indoctrtinate them into a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits. As far as I'm concerned, McDonald's is no better than R.J. Reynolds in that regard.

If you want to get a little deeper into it, read "Fast Food Nation." He details the marketing strategies and political wrangling that goes in Washington to keep fast food $ pouring in.

Why does a company that sells french fries and milkshakes have such clout in Washington?

$$

joedoe
02-27-2005, 05:03 PM
I have not seen the movie yet, but I agree with MP. From what I have read of the movie, it appears to be more a dig at people's eating and exercise habits than a dig a corporations (though it may be a bit of both).

In Australia, a doctor decided to prove how silly the premise of the movie was by going on a McDonald's-only diet for 3 months. The main difference was that he maintained a healthy exercise regime (and he did not up-size, and had access to the healthy eating menu). After 3 months he actually lost weight and his blood work was good.

wdl
02-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry, but McDonald's markets primarily to kids. They want to establish users at an early age and indoctrtinate them into a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits. As far as I'm concerned, McDonald's is no better than R.J. Reynolds in that regard.

I'd have to agree completely. But I can't blame McDonalds as a corporation. Corporations will do anything in their power to make more money. Capitalism is great!

When I was a kid and wanted to go see Ronald McDonald 4 times a week, I was told, "no". Parents have a responsibilty to teach their children health and nutrition. There is 8 years between myself and my next youngest sibling, then two more after him. They ALL wanted to go to the McDonalds playground when they were little and get a happy meal, default answer 90% of the time: "no". Sometimes we would eat somewhere else then go to McDonalds and get an ice cream cone and let the kids play.

If you let your kid eat an unhealthy diet your not a responsible parent. Simply put. Even the school systems now days serve pizza and fried foods like it's going out of style, which doesn't help when trying to teach your children proper eating habits.

-Will

David Jamieson
02-27-2005, 05:34 PM
The film only makes a point that if you eat that crap 30 days in a row it will seriously affect your health. It asks you to think about that before you go off and do the same.

Let's face it, people in general are pretty stupid and capitalism makes note of that and exploits it.

Of course there is too much blame thrown around for someone elses folly, that's always the way.

the film could have been about cigarettes, household cleaners, etc etc, but the guy just wanted to see if all the stuff he heard was true and it was. McDonalds are selling tidy little packages of early retirement. LOL

Don't make it out like they're innocent, they're merchants just like coke dealers and all else who prey on the stupid sheep like qualities.

If this makes capitalism great, then there is a problem with the fundamental application of Capitalism. Not the concept, the application. Kind of like how the theory of relativity was exploited to some degree to create atom bombs. Or how kitchen knives are used to murder.

If there is blame, it should be shared by both the idiot who eats the crud and the idiot who sells it to that idiot.

McDonalds doesn't do so well outside of westerm countries filled with stupid fat people anyway. So wallow in your world record breaking obesity! I'm loving it! lol And you deserve it, every saturated fatty ounce of it.

Merryprankster
02-27-2005, 05:52 PM
The difference MK, is that cigarette manufacturers knowingly marketed a product that had NO purpose other than addiction and that causes all kinds of health problems, even in 'moderation'. That is, if you smoke, say, four cigarettes a day, your risk goes up considerably. By contrast, I can occasionally have a McD's meal -even 4 times a week (not something I would do, personally) and not risk my health.

However, McDonalds is no worse for you than Fetuccini Alfredo, Creme Brulee or Mac and Cheese - all of which are readily available anywhere. Further, the food has a purpose other than addiction- to nourish bodies. Some is more nourishing than others, but do we take action against the eggplant growers because eggplant is nutritionally valueless?

Nah. Eat less, exercise more, and stop making excuses for yourself.

Perhaps both messages are important to the film, that's what I got from it.

I disagree. I believe the fellow chose to eat and behave as many normal sedentary Americans do. That's not a commentary on McD's as much as it is on lifestyle choices.

I won't deny there were some shots taken at McD's, but it's not THEIR responsibility to do something about it, unless they are saying things like "Eat at McDonald's, it promotes health!" If I sell lard in a bucket and people come back and buy it, I'm not responsible for the effects so much saturated fat has on somebody.

That being said, a great many Americans, probably millions, are suffering from SATURATED FAT ADDICTION.

No they aren't, they're suffering from "I keep stuffing my face." Put the fork DOWN fatty! Yet another way to shift personal blame and turn it into a "condition."

MoreMisfortune
02-27-2005, 06:00 PM
The problem definately rests on the shoulders of the people. However, it is the corporations who provide and abuse the weakness that are also to blame. I mean really, we blame drug dealers and give them worse sentences than the users. And how many drug dealers would say they want their clients to die?

this concluded the discussion
thanx, Palm

only the ball licking **** ridding **** eating right wingers were not capable of realising this

a simple exemple so that your weak minds controlled by the right wing can begin to understand:
i decide to sell LEMONADE.
i start the BUKKAKE-DO LEMONADE CORPORATIONS
now, this LEMONADE that tastes really GOOD.
Ok, lets say im selling my LEMONADE with some RAT POISON on it, what can i do, its part of the recipe for my AWESOME LEMONADE.
Cos it tastes good a lot of people will buy it, get sick and die.
They dont stop buying, cos it tastes GOOD
SO WHAT YOU RIGHT WINGERS ARE SAYING IS ITS NOT MY FAULT AND ITS NOT MY CORPORATIONS FAULT THAT I SELL THIS SUPER SICKENING GOOD TASTING JUICE?
OH WHAT THE ****, OF ****ING COURSE ITS MY FAULT FOR SELLING CRAP
YOU MOTHER ****ERS
ARE YOU ****ING BLIND

btw, it wasnt my corporation that made you blind, i just sell lemonade, your blindness is not my problem, go mind your own bussiness.

sweet, now substitute LEMONADE for CRACK
whats wrong with CRACK
CRACK feels GOOD
If i sell CRACK its NOT MY FAULT THAT THE KIDS BUY IT AND ****ING DIE
They have their own choice not buy afterall!!
YEAH RIGHT YOU MOTHER ****ERS
OF COURSE ITS MY FAULT, IM SELLING THE SHYT!!

SimonM
02-27-2005, 06:38 PM
but it's not THEIR responsibility to do something about it, unless they are saying things like "Eat at McDonald's, it promotes health!"

That is exactly what they were doing with their "healthy choice menu options", trying to re-brand McDonalds as a health promoting restaurant. So I guess it is their responsibility. :D

rogue
02-27-2005, 06:55 PM
OF COURSE ITS MY FAULT, IM SELLING THE SHYT!!

MoreMisfortune needs a lesson in how a non-command economy works.

norther practitioner
02-27-2005, 08:37 PM
So, I finally saw this. Have to say the folks who are talking about how awful corporate america is and McDonalds, etc, are missing the real commentary.

Seems to me, the documentary was really a commentary on American lifestyle habits.

If I ate McD's three times a day and limited my exercise, I'd get fat too...

So the show is really about how fat people eat badly and don't exercise.

Screw corporate responsibility on this one.

I agree for the most part.

If there wasn't a demand for this crap food, the industry wouldn't be growing like it is still.

MasterKiller
02-27-2005, 09:10 PM
If they didn't force their way into high school and jr high cafeterias, if they didn't add appetite enhancers to their food, if they didn't target kids below the age 5 with their advertising you guys might have a point.

Not all fast food companies are bad. Chick-Fil-A is good example of a company that practices what it preaches.

McDonald's is by far the worst.

They lie about their food content. French Fries are cooked in Beef Tallow; yet, they market them as vegetarian and even Vegan friendly. They were almost chased out of India when nosy reporters started reporting that their fries were cooked in Beef Tallow, even though their literature specifically stated they used 100% vegetable oil. McDonald's did an about face and quickly refitted all of their Indian restaurants AFTER the media ran the story.

They pretty much control the beef and potato industry, which are unregulated. The FDA has no control over beef recalls. The packagers, backed by McDonald's money, lobbies consistently and spends lots and lots of money in Washington to keep the industry unregulated. McDonald's will only force a recall when the media is alerted to the fact that tainted beef has been traced to one of their distributors.

That meat is later packaged and resold to the lowest bidder, which, by the way, is the Public School System.

norther practitioner
02-27-2005, 09:15 PM
That meat is later packaged and resold to the lowest bidder, which, by the way, is the Public School System.

No wonder I was always a hungry child....

got to love public schools.....

which by the way is where the gf works.

wdl
02-27-2005, 09:22 PM
If they didn't force their way into high school and jr high cafeterias, if they didn't add appetite enhancers to their food, if they didn't target kids below the age 5 with their advertising you guys might have a point.

Not all fast food companies are bad. Chick-Fil-A is good example of a company that practices what it preaches.

McDonald's is by far the worst.

All the more reason for no one to go to McDonalds. K-mart sucked, nobody went there now look what's happening to them. People just need to have the same perception of McDonalds. If the general public did, they would go under. They are already in trouble as it is.

-Will

norther practitioner
02-27-2005, 09:33 PM
my only question to you guys is:

Have you tasted the mcgriddle.......

David Jamieson
02-27-2005, 09:55 PM
They pretty much control the beef and potato industry, which are unregulated.

uh, I think you are wrong about this. All foods are pretty strongly regulated in the US by the Food and Drug admin and by similar bodies in other countries.

The murky part would be in the actual preparation of the food, but it should be good when it gets there.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-28-2005, 01:51 AM
After 3 months he actually lost weight and his blood work was good.

sounds like his metabolism went catabolic. it's more threatening for your heart if you bod becomes super efficient at burning fats. your digestive tract can actualy ignore carbs in that state of function. see any metabolic or cardiac problems with this?

MasterKiller
02-28-2005, 06:48 AM
uh, I think you are wrong about this. All foods are pretty strongly regulated in the US by the Food and Drug admin and by similar bodies in other countries.

The murky part would be in the actual preparation of the food, but it should be good when it gets there.

No. I'm right about this.

The meat industry has the power of recall. The FDA cannot force them to do it, and can only shut down a dirty meat packaging plant to try to force it's hand. However, in every case where the FDA inspectors have shut down a packager because of tainted meat in the last 7 years, it was re-opened under court order withing 48 hours.

They spend lots of money on lobbies to keep the industry unregulated.

McDonald's is also behind the legistlation to allow immigrants temporary work visas to come to America for "jobs Americans don't want" because they can pay less than minimum wage and do not have to offer health benefits. They have been trying to pass this legislation for about 10 years, and they finally have pro-corporation President willing to test it.

I completely agree that personal responsibilty is the main issue. But McDonald's has a horrible record of corporate abuses. They are the worst example you could use to try to promote the idea of responsible and morally conscious corporatations.

David Jamieson
02-28-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm not saying that the power of corporations in america isn't skewed, it is. And that's because of the almighty dollar and therein is the real addiction.

I'm saying, I am a little doubtful about the industry not being regulated.
As far as I know, it is strictly regulated.

Merryprankster
02-28-2005, 07:37 AM
sounds like his metabolism went catabolic. it's more threatening for your heart if you bod becomes super efficient at burning fats. your digestive tract can actualy ignore carbs in that state of function. see any metabolic or cardiac problems with this?

This post doesn't make any sense in the context of this topic. Catabolic state is simply the state of burning more calories than are available in your system, so you use stored energy to keep the body running. That's it. Nothing more dramatic than that.

McDonald's is chock full of carbs so nobody ever has to worry about that.

Finally, nutritionists have conclusively demonstrated that there is no such thing as essential foods, only essential nutrients. You can live quite well on meat and fat, provided it contains the nutrients you need. Northern Native American diets are an excellent example. The various meats, fish and marine mammals they eat provide all of their nutrient needs, including vitamins and minerals. They survived for months on this during the winter - quite healthily and happily.

MK, APPETITE ENHANCER?! OK, now we're starting to get into an interesting realm. By interesting, I mean fairly improbable, but if you can point to something, I'd be interested in reading it.

Appetite is a function of hormone secretion, so if you are talking about something that actually enhances your appetite, you're talking about something that screws with hormone production, reabsorption or reception. You're talking about something that would cause a person to consistently keep eating beyond satiation.

However, some parts of the food industry refer to flavor enhancers as "Appetite enhancers." Flavor enhancers run the gamut from salt, to lemon juice to various glutamic acid compounds. Each works on the same principle - they increase ionization of flavinoids in the mouth which enhances the flavor. If this is the nefarious "Appetite Enhancer," then it's no different than putting salt on your meal. Hardly a devious thing...

ewallace
02-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Chick-Fil-A is good example of a company that practices what it preaches.

Amen to that sista. When I'm rich, I will have a house with a basement, and a built in chick-fil-a. That fkr will be open on Sundays too.

David Jamieson
02-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Let's not forget the mono sodium glutamate that McD's uses in many of it's products. also known as MSG. It has been shown that MSG actually can be a step on teh road to obesity! go figure. the glutamate industry folks are up in arms about that though....

anyway, they aren't going out of business anytime soon.
People don't wanna make a meal for themselves it seems.

It would seem that humans in general are innately lazy. The conditions of survival weigh heavy on whether or not we are active or not. But put us into a western society where not much effort is required to survive and watch us get lazier and lazier.

Face it, the whole machine is a bit of a weird thing. The meek have inherited the earth, natural selection is not really applicable in a lot of ways anymore except for teh worst cases of genetic mutation. But frequently, the "weak" do better than the "strong" in our new societies. I wonder what kind of effect that is going to have after 1000 years or so.

I would say that earth stands a chance of being a real quiet planet eventually. :p

Merryprankster
02-28-2005, 08:25 AM
I do have to agree that Chik-Fil-A is a very responsible corporation. And the food ain't bad, neither.

red5angel
02-28-2005, 10:01 AM
the truth is somewhere in between. Corporations need to be regulated for extreme cases. This is where your example sort of fails more misfortune, unless you consider the tobacco companies.
I'm all for allowing someone to seel something as long as I have a complete choice to not be involved. For example, I think cigarettes should be heavily regulated, why? Because I have to walk through the clouds of second hand smoke on my way to work each morning.
However, if you can make lemonade with rat poison in it, advertise that there is rat poison in it, and people still want to drink it, then let them. As long as it can be show it doesn't make it into my water supply, or afect my health in anyway other then by choice, I don't care.
Of course I'm ok with you committing suicide if you want. I say go ahead , as long as its in a quiet, out of the way place and it doesn't involve anyone else.

MasterKiller
02-28-2005, 10:40 AM
MK, APPETITE ENHANCER?! OK, now we're starting to get into an interesting realm. By interesting, I mean fairly improbable, but if you can point to something, I'd be interested in reading it.

Appetite is a function of hormone secretion, so if you are talking about something that actually enhances your appetite, you're talking about something that screws with hormone production, reabsorption or reception. You're talking about something that would cause a person to consistently keep eating beyond satiation.

However, some parts of the food industry refer to flavor enhancers as "Appetite enhancers." Flavor enhancers run the gamut from salt, to lemon juice to various glutamic acid compounds. Each works on the same principle - they increase ionization of flavinoids in the mouth which enhances the flavor. If this is the nefarious "Appetite Enhancer," then it's no different than putting salt on your meal. Hardly a devious thing...
I tried to find some information about the appetite stimulation but can't, so maybe I just imagined that I read it.

But as far as flavor enhancers is concerned, processed food has essentially no flavor. There is a whole strip of chemical factories along the New Jersey turnpike responsible for flavor enhancers. They know exactly which chemical combinations, for example, produce the flavor of caramel popcorn, chocolate chip cookies, and yes, even chargrilled hamburgers.

So, those hamburgers and french fries that taste sooooooo freakin good really just smell so freakin goooooooooooood that your taste buds orgasm. The food itself has hardly any taste at all.

MasterKiller
02-28-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm saying, I am a little doubtful about the industry not being regulated.
As far as I know, it is strictly regulated. I'm telling you that meat packing and distribution in the U.S. is self-regulated. Meat recalls are self-imosed by the packers. The FDA has inspectors at every plant who can call a work stoppage when they find evidence of tainted meat, but they cannot force a meat recall.

So, instead of arguing against that point with "as far as I know," go read a book or two about it and get back with me.

Amen to that sista. When I'm rich, I will have a house with a basement, and a built in chick-fil-a. That fkr will be open on Sundays too.

That's what I respect about Chik-Fil-A. They close all their stores because they are strictly religious and don't believe in working on Sundays. While I am not christian, I respect them for putting their beliefs ahead of their wallets.

wdl
02-28-2005, 11:09 AM
That's what I respect about Chik-Fil-A. They close all their stores because they are strictly religious and don't believe in working on Sundays. While I am not christian, I respect them for putting their beliefs ahead of their wallets.

The other thing that is respectable about Chil-Fil-A is what it takes to buy the rights to franchise with them. They basically want insane background checks, financial information, etc. You have to prove your an extremely responsible citizen, etc. I've always been a fan of the business model.

As far as appetite enhancers being hormones it wouldn't surprise me. The amount of hormones in things you pickup every day down at the local grocery store is already insane as it is.

-Will

ewallace
02-28-2005, 11:14 AM
The other thing that is respectable about Chil-Fil-A is what it takes to buy the rights to franchise with them. They basically want insane background checks, financial information, etc. You have to prove your an extremely responsible citizen, etc. I've always been a fan of the business model.

Yep. I've looked into that too, hoping that someday they would become a public company. But as you said it takes alot to franchise one, which is why you don't see them on every block of a busy street, unlike other chains I won't mention.

MasterKiller, I was kidding about the sunday comment. I really do respect that alot. But it is usually sunday when I am saying "it sucks that cfa is closed on sundays". Guess it's one of those wanting what you can't have things.

wdl
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Yep. I've looked into that too, hoping that someday they would become a public company. But as you said it takes alot to franchise one, which is why you don't see them on every block of a busy street, unlike other chains I won't mention.

Exactly. It's a shining example of a well run company that isn't publically traded. They've not gone down that slippery path yet, although like yourself, I'd be one of the first to invest if I had the cash and they IPO'd.

It's a business model I wish alot of startup companies would adopt. Screw wall street, screw corporate execs and their greedy pockets, just run your business on standards and don't question your principals. The entire economy would grow stronger if only 25% of the companies thought that way.

I have to admit though, my perv mind kicks in when I go through the drive through and the chick on the other end says, "how may I serve you today". Thank God it's never a guy, that would be hard to take.

-Will

Fu-Pow
02-28-2005, 02:38 PM
They lie about their food content. French Fries are cooked in Beef Tallow; yet, they market them as vegetarian and even Vegan friendly. They were almost chased out of India when nosy reporters started reporting that their fries were cooked in Beef Tallow, even though their literature specifically stated they used 100% vegetable oil. McDonald's did an about face and quickly refitted all of their Indian restaurants AFTER the media ran the story.

Actually that's not exactly correct. They were cooked in vegetable oil. However, they were adding some kind of flavoring agent to the oil that was derived from beef. The hindus freaked out about it because they don't eat anything with cow anything in it. They consider cows sacred....you know the whole Vishnu thing.

Here's something about it:

http://www.compassionatespirit.com/McDonalds-Lawsuit-article.htm

joedoe
02-28-2005, 02:59 PM

I am not 100% sure of the details, only heard that he was actually healthier at the end of the 3 months than before. I think the point of it all was that the appropriate amount of exercise is the key. I will see if I can find more info.

joedoe
02-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't have audio at work so I can't watch the segment, but here is a link:

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/video/2004/

On November 25 there was a story titled "Downsize Me". If anyone gets more detail out of it that might shed light on the doctor's experiment please feel free to pass it on here.

SimonM
02-28-2005, 03:45 PM
make.

How many people complain about MacDonalds and still eat there?

Well, I don't eat there. Wendys gets my very occasional fast food dollars. Very occasionally KFC and Harveys. Never McDonalds.

David Jamieson
02-28-2005, 04:11 PM
I don't eat at any of those places.

they are filthy, the food is NOT food.

Just garbage. Mind you, it's a free country. If you wanna stuff garbage into yourself go ahead. It's your body. One less you equals more air and water for me.

Merryprankster
02-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Don't me wrong, I'm all for regulating corporations as needed, but this isn't one of those cases. People need to regulate what they put in their mouths, not McDonalds.

Merryprankster
02-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Filet Mignon? Ugh.

If you're going to eat steak, go with a Porterhouse. Filet Mignon (ok) and NY STRIP!!!!! ON THE BONE!!!!!

WOW!!!

SimonM
02-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Back in Redneckberg (my hometown) they have free BBQ hamburgers at the hotel tavern, as much as you can eat, every thursday night.

Beer and home made BBQ hamburgers!
Can't beat it!!!

Homemade BBQ Hamburgers are definately the way to go. And they do go well with beer. Especially European/British beer.

rogue
02-28-2005, 08:52 PM
One of the best fast food joints is the Short Pump Arby's (http://www.arbysrichmond.com/html/home.html). Really nice inside, with a fire place, all kinds of food like roast chicken and prime rib, table service and beer. I love CFL too. That is good chicken.

bullrog
02-28-2005, 09:23 PM
It was pretty interesting to read up on the work of Soso Whaley, the Aussie that did the oppisite of "Super Size Me". The link above didnt work but I followed it up with ome searches. Let it be known she is procapitalist, pro-corporate, and pro personal responsibilty. So some may already be offended as much as some are offended by Super Size Me. The biggest difference between Morgan Spurlock and her is the amount of calories ingested. She kept it at a healthy 1800- 2000( I personally think an overweight person should keep at 1500 or so) versus MS who ate in excess of 5000 some days. She also did moderate excersize 1 hour 3x a week.

He gained 25 pounds, added about 65 to his cholesterol,
She lost 10 lbs, and dropped 40 from hers.

This more or less confirms that eating fast food is **** anyways but its not exactly what you eat but how much you eat thats more important.

I cant wait until McD's has its very own "Jared."

wdl
03-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Homemade BBQ Hamburgers are definately the way to go. And they do go well with beer. Especially European/British beer.

Ummmm... porter and stout.... and red meat..... I'm getting hungry.

-Will

YuanZhideDiZhen
03-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Back in Redneckberg (my hometown) they have free BBQ hamburgers at the hotel tavern, as much as you can eat, every thursday night.

So, umm, what are the missing person's reports like near home? or do they just nab tourists and old folks? :rolleyes: