PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite MA principles

SPJ
02-28-2005, 08:18 AM
One day I walked in the woods.

A monk came and started to attack me. I moved and neutralized his moves. I asked why. The monk said he is too tired and too thirsty to talk; and just wants to take water and food from me. I gave him my water bottle and bread.

After a while, he said young giver you gave me 3 things. The courtesy, the food and the water. I will give you 3 things, too. The 3 golden principles of CMA.

1. There are comes and goes. (Yo Lai Wan)

2. There are interruptions and continuations. (Yo Duan Shi)

3. There are ways of connections. (Yo Xian Jie)

I started to think that the interruptions are bridged with folding and reversible rotation in Tai Ji---

I turned and was ready to say thanks. The monk disappeared in the woods.

Several days later, I returned to the woods. But I was never able to find the monk again.

Anyhoo;

What is your favorite MA principle(s)?

:D

Ray Pina
02-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Close your door, open the other's door, then hit.

I know you are stronger, younger and faster than me.

Bring it, don't sing it.

red5angel
02-28-2005, 09:48 AM
I like capoeiras "malicia". there's no defining saying to help anyone understand it but it's basically an attitude of mischief and trickery. Sort of a street wise way of tricking your oponent into thinking your weaker, less talented, or more stupid than you really are. It can be applied to how you live your life - for example, approaching a stranger on the street and trying not to look ready when you really are, to applying it directly to the art - using a technique that seems wrong for the moment, for the purpose of pulling your opponent into something you want him to do.

SPJ
02-28-2005, 03:06 PM
For people that are curious about the first anedote.

1. "Comes and goes" may refer to the space.

2. "Interruptions and con't" may refer to the timing and movements in a sequence.

3. The key is how to deal with these parameters in terms of timing and space.

A. If the opponent comes, we have to go. It can be the steps and maneuvers. It can be strikes or grappling.

B. The opponent enters (comes) a new position to start his moves. We have to leave that position and go into a different spot at the same time. We break his attempts or interrupt. We start our attempts to continue.

C. How to bridge?

--

;)

Ray Pina
03-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Regarding B, I'm taking that comes from your Taiji practice? Have you also studied other others, namely Hsing-I?

The reason I ask is because it seems to me at least, that Taiji and Hsing-I aproach this differently, where Hsing-I wants to fight for that space and taiji is willing to give it up.

For me, I fight for the physical space, I don't like to give up territory, but will yield in the actual combat, letting someone press me down or pick me up if they want, let them run the hand. I don't like to resist in that situation.

How do you resolve the two? Other internalists out there?

SPJ
03-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi;

The 3 are very general principles.

A. comes and goes: may be maneuver, or exchange of fists and kicks. However, for every move to start and end in punches and kicks, we may have to reverse then be able to start again. If we kick the foot out, we have to retract it then use it again. These are comes and goes.

And yes, in a circular move, we may come and go at the same time or any moment. Because the directional vectors are changing all the time in the circle.

We may refer A as directional in space.

B. Interruptions: the temporal sequence of an event. If the opponent wants to punch my face, his eyes look at me in the face. His fist nears his waist or chest. He extends his arm. I may move back a bit. He does not reach the endpoint. Because I move away from the point. If I know his start point, I may be able to interrupt at any steps of his punch.

If the opponent grabs my right wrist, before he does anything else. I may get close and right elbow him. I interrupt. So the opponent may try to control my elbow at the same time. If he does, I move in my step and shoulder strike or Kao. If his both hands control my right arm and twisting it. He now controls my right wrist, right shoulder and twisting against the inflexibility of my right elbow joint. Great, I may use my left hand to punch or my right foot to kick, right knee or hip to strike. At the same time, I turn my body around to "neutralize" his Qin and Na of my right arm.

We interrupt his control and continue with our counterattack.

C. Ways to connect: how to deal with ongoing changes in attacks, throws, Qin and Na etc. We need moves or a series of moves to "dissolve" or "neutralize" the opponent's Jin or force in terms of time and space and "counter move".

They are 3 general ways of study and understanding of MA.

People may say any fight is a random event. True. If we may list "most" of the parameters of change, we may understand more in terms of time and space.

Anyhoo, dun think too hard about them.

You may always take your own notes and study in your own way.

:D

Ray Pina
03-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Inside circle is shorter than outside circle. Short arm is actually longer than long arm.

Mr Punch
03-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Inside trouser is shorter than outside trouser.

Mr Punch
03-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Short arm is actually longer than long arm.

Oh OK, I'll ask... what does this mean?

Mr Punch
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
One of my favourite martial arts principles is "Greet what comes, see off what goes".

It has various versions in aiki, wing chun, and various other arts no doubt.

Ray Pina
03-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Oh OK, I'll ask... what does this mean?

OK, sharing some technology here:

Hold your arm out and have a friend with a longer arm also hold his arm out from the outside. Even thougb he's on the outside he'll get your chin first. But start bending your arm at the elbow and walk in .... funny, how come you get shorter and shorter but his fist gets further away. Now you get him but he can't get you?

Because you're on the inside you say, right?

Well, have him be on the inside with arm straight. He's longer, but walk in and bend the arm to where you're both uppercutting. Funny, you're arms shorter but now you get him but he can't you.

By making your arms shorter, you outreached the long guy.

How to utilised this in fighting?

David Jamieson
03-03-2005, 10:32 AM
wow ray, talk about overcomplicating the idea of moving inside. :rolleyes:

you really don't think your opponent is going to alwasy be compliant with what you do?

anyway, I always get a chuckle out of over analysis of the blatantly obvious, but that's just me.

here's something.

1.) Hit hard, hit fast, don't let him finish his threat.

2.) get inside and use your elbows

3.) hit the closest target

4.) fight dirty

5) don't turn your back on your opponent

6)don't underestimate your opponent no matter who they are or who you think they are.

7) when you finish, make sure you are really finished

PangQuan
03-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Do not use excessive force or extend your power more than needed, return what is given. By this method you will not fall into the clutches of mans violent tendencies.

Ray Pina
03-03-2005, 11:56 AM
wow ray, talk about overcomplicating the idea of moving inside. :rolleyes:

Kung, I'm just posting an answer to a question. It is a principle. How you use that principle varies.

Everybody says charge in on the bigger guy ... I'm not ncessasarily saying that (though you can). I'm saying the short arm in essence is longer. What you do with that is up to you.

But EVERYBODY does say charge in. ???HOW???? Do you fight the much bigger/longer guy? Do you find he's just sleeping there and lets you come in? How many guys came in on Ali? He just punches you out! Or holds you back with one hands and beats you with the other. Why did Tyson lose his belt?

So everybody has everything. But the reason I fight through over an hour of traffic and wave at Gleasons Gym (one of the world's top boxing gyms), the Moy Yatt Academies, the Gracie Academy, and a number of closer and cheaper fighting schools, is because of the HOW!!!!

It's easy to say hit harder, block faster, charge in ... that's cheering, not coaching. It's how!

Building yourself up to be the bigger, stronger, faster guy .... that's not self defense -- that's being a bully. HOW do you fight the bigger, faster, younger, stronger, longer, better conditioned guy .... that's called self defense .... and its getting lost in the past few generations.

IBeating my neighbors daughter is not called self defense. Beating the 21 year olf Thai Boxer who has 15lbs on me .... that's self defense. How?

David Jamieson
03-03-2005, 12:14 PM
pang quan-

It seems you'd rather not fight at all?

what is given is an attack that is expected to succeed. return that and give a little more, then, you will cease the violence. after all, it was not you who launched the attack.

ray-

don't be dissing gleasons, they turn out some good fighters, lol.

anyway, fighters come and go, that's how it is with fighters. One has his day and then he moves on. hopefully with dignity and faculties still intact.

Ray Pina
03-03-2005, 12:29 PM
How is calling it "one of the worlds best" dissing it?

David Jamieson
03-03-2005, 12:37 PM
it was the "how" point. It came across that you were questioning their methods of training.

which quite frankly have been proven again and again with more instances than pretty much any kungfu school, et al. Ok it's boxing, but so is chuan fa.

many of the methods of traditional chinese boxing are in need of revision in my eyes. This has a lot to do with the acid tests of them that show them to be...well, wanting.

the same is true of many traditional martial arts. While I myself practice traditional martial arts, I do not see them to be superior in anyway shape or form to non traditional martial arts.

but I digress... :p

PangQuan
03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
"pang quan-

It seems you'd rather not fight at all?

what is given is an attack that is expected to succeed. return that and give a little more, then, you will cease the violence. after all, it was not you who launched the attack."

Of course I would rather not fight. Not a real fight. Dont get me wrong, I have and I may yet again. I am a peaceful man, I found peace through years of suffering and anger. This is an old Shaolin buddhist ideal. Basically if one intends to do you bodily harm, you return the favor, if one intends to kill you you return the favor.

A man is born into tao. If we are to turn our backs on him simply because he has strayed from the way, we ourselves are no better. What was once lost can easily be found.

Ray Pina
03-03-2005, 12:49 PM
First off, my master used to train at Gleasons and actually became very good friends with the wrestlers Valentine and Andre the Giant from training there, also George the Animal Steel. My master said these guys were unbelievable fighters actually.

Anyway, I find some issues with Western style boxing .... for one, they have a very low landing percentage. East German and Cuban boxing has a better landing rate. We use a similiar style, using the back hand to block but the lead hand to strike .... control, hit. Control, hit.

The highest landing boxer of all time was a Mr. Robinson (I believe it's spelt) from Cuba. They wanted him to fight Ali but couldn't because of politics.

Not saying the other method is bad. tons of good fighters like you said, but my search, and I'm quite certain my master's too (though don;t want to speak for him) is finding the ideal .... even if it can't be reached.

So if one way is 30% landing, and the other way is 70% landing ... which do you want? We're looking for 100% landing, completelty control first .... though this is impossible. But 95% is doable, especially if you don't head hunt and strike the arm, strike the arm and triple jump in.

Also, not saying these other places aren't great ... just saying before I;d settle on a school I'd look around to find what I want. So people say everything's the same, but I haven't seen it. I also have been training since 4 years old, so judge my eye as you will.