PDA

View Full Version : tekken 5 is out

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-01-2005, 12:43 AM
its been out since the 24th and i had no idea. i almost feel like a bad parent or something.

gamespot review: 9.2 (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/tekken5/review.html)

it also includes tekken, tekken 2, and tekken 3. only ***** is that i heard a while back that heihachi is dead, but it looks like his dad is in this one so hopefully they are all around the same character. i know tekken 4 might as well not have ever existed, but from what im hearing 5 is different.

im already 50 bucks poorer.

Asia
03-01-2005, 04:28 AM
I know and its killing me. Being a HUGE Tekken fan I been waiting for this. Since the exchange here hasn't recieved it yet I've been just playing the demo that came with DEATH BY DEGREES.

helmutt
03-01-2005, 05:26 AM
is it only coming out on PS2 ?

Shaolinlueb
03-01-2005, 06:15 AM
im sorry if you wasted your money on that crap :p :o :p

Starchaser107
03-01-2005, 06:47 AM
heihachi isn't dead.
it was all a marketing scheme.

Starchaser107
03-01-2005, 06:49 AM
how Is death by degrees anyway?

I'm definately getting that and tekken 5 in the near future.

Asia
03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Death By Degrees is pretty nice. Fighting system is like Rise of Honor but you do get to pull off Nina's signature moves. It does get fustrating at time but its fun. It some mags and sites have rated it too harshly most give it a 5 but I would give it a 7~8.

Starchaser107
03-03-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm not farmiliar with rise of honour,
but I think I'll get it anyway, just because it's a part of the whole tekken lore.
I'm looking forward to getting a copy of tekken 5 as well.
not too many games out there right now that I'm thrilled about.

rubthebuddha
03-03-2005, 09:13 PM
tekken is best done with screwdrivers. it's mathematic:

tekken + drinking games = drekken

you can make up your own rules about what constitutes a drinking moment (a loss, a flawless, etc.), but all you need is some wodka, oj and a few buddies.

and voodoo vince is still the best game on the xbox. :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-05-2005, 12:30 AM
ha ... its good to hear that im not the only one who's done that.

we've done it with tekken bowling too.

Vash
03-05-2005, 04:45 PM
One flawless and one two-hit victory over Jinpachi with Kazuya on my first story playthrough.

I even hit him with Mishima-Style 10 Hit Combo #1.

Dude, check it: Ogre - - Jinpachi - - Heihachi.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-05-2005, 11:15 PM
why do they act like heihachi is dead then :mad:

.... they dont even have tekken 5 listed as one of his appearances when you go here (http://www.jun-shrine.com/characters/characters.html).

dont get me wrong ... im ecstatic hes actually in the game ... i just wish they hadn't given me over a year of sulking for it.

FngSaiYuk
03-07-2005, 08:06 AM
why do they act like heihachi is dead then :mad:
.... they dont even have tekken 5 listed as one of his appearances when you go here (http://www.jun-shrine.com/characters/characters.html).
dont get me wrong ... im ecstatic hes actually in the game ... i just wish they hadn't given me over a year of sulking for it.

Check out the characters HERE (http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/tekken5/_profile.php). This site is pretty much THE source for tekken info.

Vash, do you happen to know what difficulty setting you played at? Also, what did you think of the many 'distance' attacks now? Or, did the computer not use them?

David Jamieson
03-07-2005, 09:48 AM
With the advent of CS:Source all tekken moves were rendered obsolete.

camping awp bastages could take out anyone of those leaping lunatics from 1000 yards behind the doubles doors at Bombsite B.

:D

Judge Pen
03-07-2005, 09:54 AM
I bought it. I stink at fighting games, but they are fun. I can't beat the big guy at the end of story. My gf likes playing since she can be a panda. She also likes translating the Japanese for me (it's sometimes different than the subtitles).

Vash
03-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Vash, do you happen to know what difficulty setting you played at? Also, what did you think of the many 'distance' attacks now? Or, did the computer not use them?

I've owned Jinpachi at every level except Ultra Hard (Kazuya being the favorite of mine).

I'm not really fond of the distance attacks (except Devil Jin's - that one's okay), as I freeze up when I try to sidestep. Sometimes, I'd end up dashing into them.

I'm not really fond of the stuns, either. Though the Mishima style is rife with them, Jinpachi drops them out like a baby craps green.

And his attacks always take priority when he and player attack at same time. And his reach is sick.

Good thing I've got such skewls.

SevenStar
03-07-2005, 11:19 AM
I may check it out, but I've never been a tekken fan. When the original tekken and tekken 2 came out, I was playing virtua fighter 2. I like the more recent virtua fighter games as well.

FngSaiYuk
03-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I may check it out, but I've never been a tekken fan. When the original tekken and tekken 2 came out, I was playing virtua fighter 2. I like the more recent virtua fighter games as well.

Early on, the VF series was MUCH better than the Tekken series. As of T3, however, Tekken just became more fun. The fighting systems are fairly different, though, so you'll find few players that are REALLY good at both.

Too bad I don't have an XBox or PS2 ...

SevenStar
03-07-2005, 04:31 PM
What are you waiting on? buy one... NOW!

FngSaiYuk
03-07-2005, 05:20 PM
What are you waiting on? buy one... NOW!
Heh, I still have training equipment to buy - I 'd rather spend the $$$'s & time on training than on playing games on the xbox/ps2. I no longer have the kind of time I used to when I was young & w/o responsibilities and could spend an hour or so a day getting really good at a video game.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-08-2005, 02:00 AM
i understand the money thing, but fighting games arent really about spending hours each day with them .... at least not after you have owned them more than a week or two.

for me at least, fighting games are a group thing. get as many people togeather as possible and pass the controller around. i cant remember the last time i played a figher alone (aside from the first week of owning any).

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-08-2005, 02:02 AM
oh and hey ... kung lek .... do you play cs:s pretty often?

i been playing pretty much every night and would be all about hooking up. pm me or im me or whatever. i use trillian so i have accounts with all 4 major messenger progs and they are all listed right above.

Kristoffer
03-08-2005, 08:38 AM
i understand the money thing, but fighting games arent really about spending hours each day with them .... at least not after you have owned them more than a week or two.

for me at least, fighting games are a group thing. get as many people togeather as possible and pass the controller around. i cant remember the last time i played a figher alone (aside from the first week of owning any).

Dämn right. Last week I had a Street Fighter 3: Third Strike Tournament. I won even though it was on X-box and I'm used to the Dreamcast version. I rule

Sim Koning
03-09-2005, 11:45 AM
I noticed that it says that Ling Xiaou's styles is bagua (in japanese) and Wang's style is Xing Yi. For those who know, how accurate are they in the game?

For those who like Muay Thai, there is a thai boxer in the game (Bruce Irvin) that is dead on accurate. In fact its probably my favorite fighting game because it has so many real styles in the game, they even have a mma guy.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-09-2005, 12:30 PM
well there used to be a kid on the forums who mastered kung fu by playing tekken if that tells you anything :)

Starchaser107
03-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I think Lei WuLong does Choy Lay Fut boxing as well.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-09-2005, 12:52 PM
ill be playing it this weekend .... i would already have it but my birthday is coming up so im just gonna get it that way.

Kristoffer
03-09-2005, 01:13 PM
From what I've seen and played, Ling's style looks more like modern Wushu. And Lei looks like he's doing a 5 animal style. Wang I dunno.

Starchaser107
03-09-2005, 02:55 PM
probably it's wushuesque bagua, I've seen Ling walking the circle and coiling alot,
but i only know bagua thtat I've seen on video's and competition stuff.
as for the hsing-i , going back to tekken 2 wang did alot of movements that resemble hsing-i, but I don't know if it works the same way in application...
he did hit very hard though.

Vash
03-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Jin Kazama looks very much like certain strains of Matsubayashi Shorinryu. When you watch his kata, 'specially in 4, you see parts of the Pinan (Tekki in Japanese) forms. Also some techniques from Goju, but different in application.

Starchaser107
03-09-2005, 08:53 PM
I recognize one of the kata jin does in tekken 4,
I've seen it out here at the local karate tournaments.

norther practitioner
03-10-2005, 12:18 AM
In one of the mortal kombats... one of them does the 24 form...

Starchaser107
03-10-2005, 12:24 AM
you're skating on thin ice , bringing up mortal kombat in a glorious thread such as this. :eek:

Kristoffer
03-10-2005, 05:07 AM
I read somewhere that Michelle (from tekken 2?) does Hsing-I.. I can't remember her movements though.

Asia
03-10-2005, 05:24 AM
Jin Kazama looks very much like certain strains of Matsubayashi Shorinryu. When you watch his kata, 'specially in 4, you see parts of the Pinan (Tekki in Japanese) forms. Also some techniques from Goju, but different in application.

ALL the Mishimas are motion caputured by KYOKUSHIN fighters. T4/5 Jin is doing classic Kyokushin (especially in the wheel kick which some love for a flashy KO)

FYI PINAN is not Tekki. PINAN is HEIHAN. In T4 Jin does do a part of TEKKI Shodan (Naihanchi in Okinawa)

I recognize one of the kata jin does in tekken 4,

The kata Jin does in his win pose is YANTSU.

read somewhere that Michelle (from tekken 2?) does Hsing-I.. I can't remember her movements though.

Michelle and Julia are primarly going the all powerful BAJIQUAN!!!!!! They mixed in a little Xingyi to weaken it so they wouldn't be the most powerful characters in the game. :D

I also have fallen in love with Asuka. I am happy to weild Kazma Ryu Kobujutsu once again. Now my next challenge is to see if I can pull off another 50 win streak like I did with Jun in T2.

Kristoffer
03-10-2005, 06:16 AM
hahah yeaaa, ok

So is Asuka the daughter of Jun (from Tekken 2) ? She was my fav character in number two because of her throws

Asia
03-10-2005, 08:49 AM
hahah yeaaa, ok

So is Asuka the daughter of Jun (from Tekken 2) ? She was my fav character in number two because of her throws

Doubtful that she is a child of Jun. She seems to be about the same age as Jin and as far as we know she didn't have twins. I think Jin and Asuka are cousins (or maybe she is his aunt) but I don't know yet.

Starchaser107
03-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Asia, thanks,
I think I was referring to the Tekki Shodan Kata (Intro movie scene?)
With regards to Asuka I believe that she and Jin are cousins. I read that somewhere on one of the tekken sites.

Vash
03-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Asia,

Indeed. I was thinking of Jin's performance of the naihanchi forms when I said Pinan.
Very similar, of course :eek: :eek: :o

The only Kyokushin I've seen is a performance of Seisan.

Good info.

Judge Pen
03-10-2005, 12:31 PM
One of the forms the Feng does is Tiger/Crane.

MasterKiller
03-10-2005, 12:34 PM
In Virtua Fighter 4, when the Chinese chick wins (her name is Pai), she does a foot slap, foot slap, tornado kick, which is how we end two of our forms.

Judge Pen
03-10-2005, 12:39 PM
In Virtua Fighter 4, when the Chinese chick wins (her name is Pai), she does a foot slap, foot slap, tornado kick, which is how we end two of our forms.

Hmmm. That's how we end one of our forms too. I don't remember if its the same as the chick in VF4, but I'll check it out tonight.

MasterKiller
03-10-2005, 02:24 PM
1. At knee level, right hand slaps outside of right foot
2. Left leg kick behind right knee, right hand slaps bottom of left foot
3. tornado kick w/right leg and slap left hand on right foot.

SevenStar
03-10-2005, 03:08 PM
I recognize the staff form done in soul calibur...

red5angel
03-10-2005, 03:09 PM

ah yes, the super-secret, mega deadly foot slap.

SevenStar
03-10-2005, 03:15 PM
I noticed that it says that Ling Xiaou's styles is bagua (in japanese) and Wang's style is Xing Yi. For those who know, how accurate are they in the game?

For those who like Muay Thai, there is a thai boxer in the game (Bruce Irvin) that is dead on accurate. In fact its probably my favorite fighting game because it has so many real styles in the game, they even have a mma guy.

the VF series did the same. that's part of why I preferred it to most other games. They had various styles, including mantis, jkd, aiki jujutsu, baji...

wdl
03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
We had a guy and his brother come into the school inquiring about classes last summer. He was asked about his previous MA experience, to which he replied "self taught". Further inquiry into his method of study revealed his main influence was Mortal Combat, Deadly Alliance. I'm not kidding. :D

They didn't last a week and went down to the local Isshin Ryu joint. His brother came back last month(about 6-8 months of Isshin-Ryu later) wanting to spar us. I think he'd have been better off with his Mortal Combat moves. LOL

-Will

Starchaser107
03-10-2005, 07:21 PM
crack heads suck royally dude!
sometimes I wish they would all wear flashing neon signs that say "crackhead"
so that way we could all turn them back at the door. instead of waiting weeks or months to realize that they are totally lacking in the brain department. :mad:

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-10-2005, 07:29 PM
the VF series did the same. that's part of why I preferred it to most other games. They had various styles, including mantis, jkd, aiki jujutsu, baji...

yeah but tekken's better.

Vash
03-10-2005, 09:12 PM
We had a guy and his brother come into the school inquiring about classes last summer. He was asked about his previous MA experience, to which he replied "self taught". Further inquiry into his method of study revealed his main influence was Mortal Combat, Deadly Alliance. I'm not kidding. :D

They didn't last a week and went down to the local Isshin Ryu joint. His brother came back last month(about 6-8 months of Isshin-Ryu later) wanting to spar us. I think he'd have been better off with his Mortal Combat moves. LOL

-Will

Beyotch.

You're lucky I haven't played Mortal Kombat in a while.

Starchaser107
03-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Brian Fury and the Mishimas (plus Jin) are my favourites.

Although I'd like to see what developments they've made to Bruce Irvin

Can Someone answer me this question though.

I thought Bruce Irvin Died in a plane crash, how did they bring him back?

I also thought Wang jinrei died of old age.

Is this explained?

Dao
03-10-2005, 09:28 PM

Yeah the VF series does pretty good in making the fighters fight realistically, except for maybe some of Kage's moves that send the opponent flying in the air. I havn't gotten Tekken 5 yet but I hear nothing but good about it. Does anyone know if it will come out on X-Box or will it stay on PS2?

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
i heard rumors of it ultimately making it to the xbox, but sony would be retarded to let it happen.

wdl
03-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Beyotch.

You're lucky I haven't played Mortal Kombat in a while.

Your lucky I sucked at it. :D

Killer Instinct was my game back in the day.

-Will

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-10-2005, 11:50 PM
anyone else remember time killers?

Kristoffer
03-11-2005, 05:02 AM
lol Killer Instinct

I'm with Seven, I liked VF for it's realisticness. (and if u liked that, check out Shenmue1 and 2. The fighting is very simmilar to VF since they did that too. Ryo is like a complex version of Akira in VF)

I'm very psyked to get T5, I'm looking for a cheap ps2 now.

MasterKiller
03-11-2005, 07:48 AM
I recognize the staff form done in soul calibur... That's the old Wushu compulsory.

Judge Pen
03-11-2005, 09:39 AM
1. At knee level, right hand slaps outside of right foot
2. Left leg kick behind right knee, right hand slaps bottom of left foot
3. tornado kick w/right leg and slap left hand on right foot.

Ok, it's different then.