PDA

View Full Version : shaolin vcd/dvd's. if you have any, whats your fav.

gwa sow
03-01-2005, 09:24 AM
just got the bodhiharma sword and like the form and the vcd. i would like to get a few more of the shaolin vcd'as but havn't a clue what the other forms are like. For anyone who has seen their forms or ordered the vcds, which one's do you like. I would like to get one that is a little more "traditional" and a llittle less "picture posing". any help?? thanks

MasterKiller
03-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Shi DeYang's video series is pretty good.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/Browse/ListAll.aspx/section-videos/code-c/version-all/did-6447/

oasis
03-01-2005, 12:18 PM
i concur with MK. de yang's series is excellent. they teach traditional shaolin forms step by step with several angles demonstrated. if you're interested in playing with some of the popular forms in songshan shaolin, go for xiao hong quan, chang quan (long fist), tong bei quan, zhao yang quan, or pao quan (cannon fist). if you get the dvd versions, you will at least get some decent subtitles that gives you the names of the movements and facilitates your understanding of some of the history and mechanics behind the forms.

ngokfei
03-03-2005, 12:55 AM
he has 2 series out, which one are you talking about?

I preferred his 1st series alot. Good demonstrations etc.

His 2nd series is kind of corny. too much incense burners being used, too much smoke.

and what's up with those lousy 2 man sets.

Now the girls who demonstrated were very good, but then again they are from a local school and not from the temple (so I've heard)

Ben Gash
03-06-2005, 02:40 AM
I've got his xiao hongquan discs, and they're OK if that's your kind of thing. Has anyone seen any of the Kan Jia discs?

pazman
03-06-2005, 08:08 AM
I picked up some vcds in China and I'd have to say that Deyang's is probably the best, though the Liuhequan two man set is silly. Most of the others in my opinion are rather poor quality, though I am impressed by Zhang Shijie's series, though I don't know exactly how shaolin it is.

But, in the end, they make good souvenirs for friends, not good training supplements.

ngokfei
03-07-2005, 08:45 AM
yeah that liuhequan partner set is really awkward. Very 2 dimensional. Kindof reminds me of people learning sets from books.

But on a postiive note I've seen this same set done on another disc with alot more flavor, angle and various energies. A much better performance and representation.

haven't come across any other partner sets (classical ones I mean)