PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifted a car...

Samurai Jack
03-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Okay, so it was really the empty back end of my 1983 Mazda short bed pick-up. A long term goal of mine was to deadlift the rear end of my truck in this way. I have no idea how much it weighs but I only got the rear tires about an inch or two off the ground and I was not able to get it up to lockout. My lower back was actually in pain to the point that I was sure I'd be injured so I set it down after a few seconds of straining to get it to lockout and making no progress.

Anyone ever done something like this before? Anyone have any idea how much something like this weighs? I figure maybe 400 lbs. or so...

Ford Prefect
03-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Well, in high school an old friend of mine had one of those small cars. It was Fiat, Miatta, or something. Me and 4 other guys picked it up and carried it between a concrete pilon and a chain linked fence in the parking lot, so he'd have to do a 500-point turn to get out. :D

red5angel
03-03-2005, 03:27 PM
bwahaahahaa, that's hilarious! A freind of mine, his sister owned a Ford Festiva and we found it was so light that 5 of us picked it up about once a week and moved it to the other side of the street. She seriously started to flip out and thought she was going crazy until we tld her!

IronFist
03-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Three or four of us picked up the back of a Cavalier once to move it out of the way so my friend could get out of his parking place. It was pretty light, tho, we probably could have done it with two or three of us.

Chief Fox
03-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Coming out of a movie theater with a bunch of friends one time. My friends thought it would be funny to pick up the back of my car with me and a girl I just started dating in it. It was funny. The car was running and I started to hit the gas. This is were it stopped being funny because what i had forgotten up until that point was that my car was front wheel drive. I very nearly ran over three of my friends. You've never seen three big guys drop a car so quick and then jump for cover.

Toby
03-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Nice, SJ! I've moved cars by bouncing them before. It only takes a couple of people to do that - just get them oscillating on their springs and shift them at the top of the bounce. Never lifted one up though. I've heard of people doing stuff like Ford - funny stuff :D.

Samurai Jack
03-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Nice, SJ! I've moved cars by bouncing them before. It only takes a couple of people to do that - just get them oscillating on their springs and shift them at the top of the bounce. Never lifted one up though. I've heard of people doing stuff like Ford - funny stuff :D.

Hey that's a good idea! I bet I could get into lockout by bouncing it a little first for momentum, but I'll save that feat for later. I almost hurt myself yesterday and if I got it up and couldn't hold it I'd be in trouble. Maybe I'll get a friend of mine to take a picture with her d-camera and I can post a link on my "Deadlift Update" thread for progress/posterity purposes. Any ideas on who might host such a photo?

It would be awesome if I could work up to lifting the front end, but that's probably at least twice as heavy with the engine and all. I wonder if the bouncing technique would work for that?

Toby
03-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Bouncing is cheating. You can get a car to leave the ground by bouncing enough, almost effortlessly. You just sort of help it bounce. You don't need anywhere to host the photos, just attach them to your posts. You can fit up to 100KB per photo, which is plenty.

Samurai Jack
03-03-2005, 05:31 PM
I know!

Maybe after I get up to my current goal of DLing 320 X 20 I could start a new cycle lifting the back end of my truck! I could add five pounds or so to the back every week with a PTP cycle until I had my whole weight set in the bed, then try to lift the front end for a photo. ****, talk about awesome goals. I don't think I've been this excited about weight training since I started.

:cool:

mickey
03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Who's trying to go hardcore here?

That's good stuff. The only person I saw do something like that was Franco Colombu in Pumping Iron. That guy had strength.

mickey

Samurai Jack
03-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Yeah, now if I just looked like Franco I'd have the whole package going.

I'll never look like a bodybuilder though, so I'll just have to settle for getting as big and strong as I can and forget about getting cut to shreds.

IronFist
03-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Who's trying to go hardcore here?

That's good stuff. The only person I saw do something like that was Franco Colombu in Pumping Iron. That guy had strength.

mickey

Did you see how far in he brought his knees when he did that, too? Horrible form.

Then again, he had to to get them to fit under the bumper. Plus, that car didn't look too heavy, especially for someone like Franco.

JadeMantis
03-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Worlds Strongest Man make way for Samurai Jack........ :D

Good One SJ

Oso
03-04-2005, 11:48 AM
I had an 81 mazda pickup once.

was driving home from the bar, working at the bar, on a night that we had freezing rain.

wasn't thinking about it too much so drove home the usual way up a dirt road.

at one point I just stopped moving forward, the tires spinning on the ice.

so I tried to back down...didn't have control and was sliding towards the 6' embankment with a creek at the bottom of it.

tried to 3 point turn it in the road...no luck, more sliding towards creek.

spent about an hour trying to either back up or turn around or digging at the ice.

in a fit of frustration I kicked the rear wheel of the truck and moved the truck about 3 inches to the side

I just stood there for a second and then slammed my body into the back end of the truck and it slid over more.

so I kept slamming into the truck and literally spun it around on the ice 180 degrees till I was facing back down hill.

got back in truck, drove home a different way

fa_jing
03-04-2005, 12:19 PM
I think Franco Columbo was the one who broke his leg nastily while carrying a refridgerator on his back at the World's Strongest Man contest....

IronFist
03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
I think Franco Columbo was the one who broke his leg nastily while carrying a refridgerator on his back at the World's Strongest Man contest....

Franco Columbo did WSM?! Dude he just got even cooler!

mickey
03-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Greetings,

That was Franco in the World's Strongest Men. I don't remember Franco's form in the movie. But I was impressed by what he did at the time. I was also impressed by his lung power with the water bottle. Franco used to be a boxer. I don't know if he fought professionally.

The funny thing is that I don't remember Arnold Schwarzenegger doing any display of unique strength.

mickey

norther practitioner
03-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Well, in high school an old friend of mine had one of those small cars. It was Fiat, Miatta, or something. Me and 4 other guys picked it up and carried it between a concrete pilon and a chain linked fence in the parking lot, so he'd have to do a 500-point turn to get out. :D

we did that to a friends car, it was in between a concrete wall and a chain link fence... people were pizzed too, that was the walkway between the school and the sports fields...