PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Kung Fu

Jhapa
03-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Was surfing the web at work and came across this (http://www.shaolin.com.au/cyber.htm)

I know there are people that train through video tapes, but can you train exclusivebly through tapes?

red5angel
03-03-2005, 04:18 PM
you CAN train strictly through videotapes, but wouldyou want to? the quality of your learning is going to be crap. There are a lot of subtle things that need to be picked up on by an observer as your working out. A good instructor is constantly adjusting things as your training progresses.

PangQuan
03-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Ya, you could train strictly from tape, but the unfortunate thing about that is you would end up sucking balls.

joedoe
03-03-2005, 05:15 PM
This is a question that always amuses me. Ask yourself this:

Would you learn tennis solely from a video? Football? Any sport? Any combat sport?

The simple fact is that if you want to get good at any of these activities you find a teacher/coach. And you practice both on your own and with training partners. Why would it be any different with martial arts?

If you use videos as a tool to enhance your existing face-to-face learning then that is a different matter.

Jhapa
03-03-2005, 05:36 PM
i am not saying that i am going to be training strictly off of videos but on the site, they go all the way up to black sash. i am not at a point in my training that i can do that, i don't think i have enough motivation right now. i know i want to train some through videos in the future to enhance but also to learn new forms, may be.

GeneChing
03-03-2005, 05:46 PM
They wear Star Trek uniforms (http://www.shaolin.com.au/spirit.htm) - next generation no less. Dang. This post just made my day. See? My work on that Klingon book (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35068) was freakin' prophesy.

WanderingMonk
03-03-2005, 06:13 PM
New England Patriot's kicker, yeah, the guy who kicked the winning field goals in three superbowl (in the last one, his field goal was still the difference, so technically, still the winnng field goal), his kicking coach (I am not sure if the guy was hired by the team or hired by the kicker himself) is in a wheel chair. never actually kicked a field goal in his life. cannot demonstrate the kicking motion. but, based on the coach's observation, he has come up with a system in which he used to train the Patriot's kicker.

can you learn by video tape alone, yes, but you have to have very strong observation skills.

David Jamieson
03-03-2005, 07:46 PM
those dudes have like the worst structure ever too. look at those pics!

particularly "from all angles"

that is the shi.tiest horse stance ever and the chubby dude looks like he has a crooked back or something.

So, if you want to learn the retarded variety of not kungfu, then by all means! throw these guys some cash!

yeesh.

there are much better kungfu tapes to purchase out there that is for sure.

just don't buy the star trek bad posture ones as shown here or the todd tei ones, that guy is weak! and there are many others that are also bad, but some are really quite good.

from a starting point of nothing I would not recommend exclusively training from a tape. but if absolutely nothing else is available you will make do with what you can I guess so long as you have the will to proceed.

I wouldn't recommend those tapes though, yeesh!
I'd get that todd weeks stuff before I got that, at least you get crappy guitar lessons thrown in for free and lessons on how to repel chicks by taking your shirt off! :D

GeneChing
03-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Shaolin + Star Trek = Jedi knights (until Lucas messed up the 'force' metaphor saying it was genetic). When I retire from this, I'm going to create my own cult based on something like this. Yeah, that's the ticket....

MasterKiller
03-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Shaolin + Star Trek = Jedi knights (until Lucas messed up the 'force' metaphor saying it was genetic). When I retire from this, I'm going to create my own cult based on something like this. Yeah, that's the ticket....

It was genetic all along. From ROTJ:

You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to
use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has
it...I have it...and...my sister has it.

But don't fret. The mystical aspect returns in EP III. There is a contrast bewteen the way the Sith view immortality (not dying) and the way Qui-Gon teaches Yoda about immortality (merging with the Force).

In Episode I, Qui-Gon was........how do you say?...............WRONG!

zenile
03-04-2005, 11:15 AM
OMG! That was one of the funniest sites that I've ever seen. Who in their right mind would be dupped into something like that?!?

I want my 9th degree sash too! :mad:

Mutant
03-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Its funny how in 'sijo robert z's' bio, he goes out of his way to point out that one of his bit movie roles included him doing a sex scene :D

"In 2004 he started his studies in traditional Chinese Medicine with the Southern School of Natural Therepies. In the past Sijo was approached to help in the making of amature movies including from the Monash Uni thearter & Film Group. He is now registered with Ripley's Management as an extra for film and TV. Ther have been a few interesting extra's roles including several in Blue Heelers (one of which was a sex scene), MDA, Secret life of Us, featured in Stingers, several parts in local movies and serials and most recently as a featured extra in the Nicholas Cage Movie Ghost Rider. He is also now working on developing a full Cyber program for Waeaponry."

David Jamieson
03-04-2005, 01:33 PM
ooo, i was an extra in an upcoming boxing film starring Russell Crow and the dude from sideways!

Watch for me behind Griffins corner in the fight that leads up to Crowes character getting the world champ title.

That is if Ron howard doesn't have me cut me out entirely. :D

The coolest part of being involved with that production was getting to meet and talk with the great Angelo Dundee, now that guy is way cool!

Ming Yue
03-04-2005, 01:36 PM
After looking at the material on thier site, and if that school was in your town, would you train there? My hopeful guess is no, because the material looks dodgey as heck and the uniforms are queer beyond description. Save your money - if you want to supplement your training, ask your Sifu for some videos he/she recommends.

Jhapa
03-04-2005, 06:36 PM
if you want to supplement your training, ask your Sifu for some videos he/she recommends. since i currently train at SD(2 months left), i don't think i will, they'll probably recommend sin the's videos.