PDA

View Full Version : A hand behind Taiwan's success- General Chen Cheng

SPJ
03-03-2005, 08:11 PM
This is my favorite story of the 20th century.

A. Chen Cheng was a graduate of Bao Ding military academy.

B. He was one of the favorite generals from Chiang Kai Shek during Northern Expedition to defeat warlords and unify China.

C. Xi An incident. He was right next to Chiang Kai Shek. At the first shootout, he fell to the ground instantly. A bullet went thru his cap, and yet he survived.

D. Resistence War against Japan's incursion or moving inroads. There were 22 major campaigns, he fought 15 of them.

E. He was the commanding officer of Chinese Expedition Force in Burma, I have relatives fought under him.

F. In 1948, he was recuperating from combat fatigue in Northeast or Dong Bei in Taiwan. He was very sick.

G. In 1949, he was assigned as the governer of Taiwan.

H. He regrouped troops of Hu Lian and defeated PLA on Gu Ling Tou in Kin Men isle. Thus secured the defense of Taiwan.

I. He suggested 375 tax reduction for farmers in Taiwan. San Qi Wu Jian Zhu. He also promoted the policy that the farmers may own land from landlords. Gen Ze Yo Qi Tian. He also stablized the currency of Taiwan. These laid the foundation for Taiwan's economic.

J. He passed away on March 5, 1966. He was a true model character of a soldier (defending his country) and a minister (taking care of his own countrymen).

He was a very important hand in the 20th century history of China and Taiwan.

40 years after his passing, Chen Lu An (the son, and former defense minister) turned over his father's writings, An Archive of a Stone Collector (Shi So Zhuong Su) to the museum of national history in Taiwan.

These documents are considered as important as the diaries of 2 Chiang's under the care of Stanford Univ.

As an ethnic Chinese born in Taiwan, I paid my greatest respect to a general that my father and relatives fought under and with from China, Burma to Taiwan.

I think I am going to cry now.

General Chen Cheng absolutely deserves a thread in his memory.

sobbing,

:(

SPJ
03-04-2005, 07:43 AM
There are many pictures, documents and artifacts.

Chen Cheng wrote many sections in his books.

a. Northern Expedition or Bei Fa.

b. communists

c. Resistence war or Kang Zhan. These historical documents are to be revealed the first time ever. It has special meanings in 60 aniversery of V-J day or Japanese surrender.

d. CCP/KMT civil war or Guo Gong Nei Zhan.

Chen family requested that all the documents to be open to the public and on line. so that the history may be known by all.

The caretaker is the National History Museum.

SPJ
03-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Some links;

Chen Cheng (http://www.answers.com/topic/chen-cheng)

SPJ
03-05-2005, 05:50 PM
The Japanese went into the French Indochina, negociated peace with Thailand, and went into Burma. All the supply routes were cut off.

And yes, the American supplies to Chung King had to reach Bombay, India first.

And yes, the American pilots had to fly over the Himalaya "hump" with C-46 or C-47.

And yes, they are volunteer flights over the rooftop of the world. Because 75% of the planes will crash into the mountains due to mechanical failure caused by severe weather and got "lost".

There were the largest rescue efforts ever mounted on the planet. From the porters travelling between Lhasa and southwest China.

It was called China-Burma-India theater. Several US generals did not get along with Chiang Kai Shek.

The best or elite Nationalist troops were committed to the theater to open up the "Burma roads" to supply Chung King and US B-29 bombers based in Kun Ming and Guei Zhou. They took flights over China to bomb submarine bases and industrial complexes in southern Japanese isle called Kyu shu.

There were rescue routes throu out the flightpaths of B-29.

All US pilots had the jacket that said oceaner came to China to assist in war, Military and civilian alike rescue them.

"Yang Ren Lai Hua Zhu Zhan; Jun Ming Yi Tong Jiuo Zhu".

And yes, I have one of the flight jacket.

SPJ
03-06-2005, 07:39 PM
General Chen Cheng arrived in Taiwan on October, 1948.

228 happened before that.

He was recuperating on Yang Ming Shan north of Taipei.

He received the medal of the blue sky and white sun or Qing Tian Bai Ze Xiun Zhang after he defeated the Japanese in Hu Bei province in 1943.

Link:

Website (http://www.drnh.gov.tw)

Chinese news release (http://www.drnh.gov.tw/c_news/news/news940304.htm)

:cool:

SPJ
03-06-2005, 11:29 PM
In 1963, General Chen did have dreams about he lead the main force to go back to China. At one dream, he was surrounded by PLA. In the other dream, he won and the people of China asked him for food and money. He emptied his pocket, and there was no more money to feed the people.

This is the anedote told by his son Chen Lu An.

Which means he was alway a soldier ready to fight for his people and use all his money and resources to feed the people, too.

Under the carpet, after the start or escalation of Vietnam conflict, Chiang was forced by the US to give up going back to mainland. President Eisenhower-> President Kennedy-> President Johnson. The 4000 US marines entered Saigon.

Vietnam was a war started or escalated by US Presidents alone.

Vietnam was to be like Korea sort of a limited war. Chiang might not escalate it into a full scale war with China involving US.

ROC national anthem lyrics were written by Dr. Sun Yet Sen with 4 characters poems. The music is kind of slow and heavy tune.

On the other hand, The solider of Justice and courage marching on, Yi Yong Bin Jin Xing Qu written by Nei Er in WWII is more upbeat. It is adopted by PRC.

Tong Bao Men Qi Lai, Compatriots rise up--

Peace.

SPJ
03-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Links;

anthem (http://english.people.com.cn/china/anthem.html)

music (http://david.national-anthems.net/cn.htm)