PDA

View Full Version : Grandmaster Cheung

marcelino31
10-30-2001, 09:52 PM
I am a chess master and have no doubt that had i lived with a chess Grandmaster ie the world's Highest rated chess player Garry Kasparov and trained and studied with him and learned his secrets etc that i could become one of the best chess players out there.

Grandmaster Cheung Lived with Yip Man for 3 years. Being so close to Yip Man i'm sure Yip shared knowledge with Grandmaster Cheung that he did not share with anyone else in the Yip Man wing chun clan.

The fighting techniques, theories and strategies of Grandmaster Cheung were proven in real combat.
Therefore when he says something you should try to listen and not fight and retaliate against his views.

I myself have trained in different versions of wing chun and think that Cheung Style Wing Chun is the best Wing Chun System out there. Its a very complete system and subsumes any other version of wing chun out there in terms of fighting strategy and what actually works in a combat situation.

I have no do doubt that Grandmaster Cheungs wing chun is better than any other sifu. I heard that at one time Grandmaster Cheung did 4 hours of continuous Chi Sao with Yip Mans students and defeated them all. Also Many Top Wing Chun practitioners have attested to Grandmaster Cheung's fighting prowess. Duncan Leung took up Wing Chun after witnessing Grandmaster Cheung Fighing on a boat heading for Australia.

fa_jing
10-30-2001, 10:34 PM
Cheung wasn't the only one who lived with Yip Man. There were four others, I don't recall all the names, but Ho Kam Ming and Tui Sheung Ting, maybe Leung Sheung were among these. So that in itself does not prove anything.
But, since you are a Chueng style assistance instructor, maybe you can answer a question for me, if you can excuse my challenge to your statement above. In my Sifu's wing chun, kicks are often deflected by lifting the knee, and using the inside or outside of the lower portion of the leg to deflect the kick (no I don't know the chinese names for these techniques). My sifu was showing me how at a Cheung seminar, GM Cheung was lifting his knee, and turning over his hip rapidly so that the lower part of the leg would make a ~45 degree with the floor. Thus, he kind of covered the opponent's kick, as well as deflecting it. Do you know what the purpose of this is? Because if you do this, you can't kick the opponent's supporting leg so easily. I'm sure this has an application, can you elaborate?
thanks - FJ

kj
10-30-2001, 10:41 PM
LOL. Leung Sheung lived with Ip Man for 6 years. Lok Yiu lived with Ip Man also, not to mention Ip Man's own sons at various times, and probably others too. Maybe a modification to the original argument or thought process is in order. Nice try though. :D

ATENG
10-30-2001, 10:49 PM
i don't understand why ppl constantly have to convince others that their master so and so, has done this or that and is the best? you just insecure? or are you really trying to convince yourself?

"It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun."

marcelino31
10-30-2001, 11:00 PM
Can you elaborate on what kind of kick your opponent is throwing. Against a round or front kick you can side step while performing double gan sao to gain control of the oppponents leg and deliver an upward knee strike from underneath to injure his leg

EmptyCup
10-30-2001, 11:03 PM
I thought that that was William Cheung for a second :D Seriously though, William is in the wrong business...since he's so convincing he should have been a cult leader and asked all his loyal and brainwashed followers to hand over all their savings because he is God.

That argument has more holes than swiss cheese. I'm sure both Yip Man's sons Yip Chun and Yip Ching lived longer with him than Cheung. And since they were infants too! I guess William should listen to what they have to say instead because they practice the "modified" version.

That 4 hour chi sau thing is no big deal because it's not true. If William defeated ALL of Yip Man's students one after the other then he doesn't need wing chun because he's GOD. And if he was that good, everybody would follow him instead right? Since his Wing Chun is the best of the best why are people be as dumb as to follow guys like Wong Shun Leung? And I don't want to bring up the fight with Emin...

Don't tell me you think his wing chun is better "than any other sifu" based on that sad story because there are many out there that are really good. Btw, did William teach you how to dodge bullets too?

I hate it how Wing Chun is so divided because all you William Cheung students talk about is some far-fetched tale that's full of holes how he learned secrets from Yip Man that he didn't even teach his own sons. Even if that story is true, I still don't agree with William's teachings. Being traditional doesn't always make it better otherwise don't buy new walkmans or TVs, just use the ones you had a decade ago...

You guys make all sorts of challenging claims and generalizations and then have the audacity to complain that everybody else criticizes your lineage. Maybe you should change your act first...

Sick of you all... :rolleyes:

EmptyCup
10-30-2001, 11:29 PM
Have you ever given a thought that William Cheung might be wrong for once? If you believe everything your sifu says then you are pretty gullible. Some martial arts teachers say they are invincible to bullets. Using logic I think that one can pretty much disagree with that...

William Cheung proclaimed himself grandmaster after Yip Man passed away. Is that not a clue? If Yip Man choose him to be the head of the entire family over his own sons and inheritor of the secret Wing Chun teachings, why wouldn't he tell all his students that while he was alive so precious Willy wouldn't get challenged for his ridiculous claims?????? If your answer is some crap like "because he didn't want anybody to know" that would tell you two things:

1. That sounds awfully fishy and convienient for Cheung and

2. Yip Man wasn't the type to pass on "secrets". He was like the masters of old, jealously guarding their techniques. If he was like this (and there is much evidence to say yes)then William would never have recieved such teachings. At the most, Yip Man would have taught one of his sons. No outsiders. At the least, he wouldn't have taught anybody.

Sihing73
10-31-2001, 12:35 AM
Hello,

Seems to me that this is nothing more than the usual my master is better because.... type of thread.

Since each person has the right to his own views it is unlikely that all will agree that ONE person inherited the true system. Suffice it to say that this topic serves no purpose in promoting the spirit of unity or brotherhood and I am closing the topic for this reason.

As always, anyone wishing to discuss this with me may contact me via e-mail:
sihing73@juno.com
dmcknight@rcn.com

Peace,

Dave