PDA

View Full Version : Drunken sabre set

FEELERSTRIKE
03-04-2005, 01:11 PM
I am interested in finding some more information on the drunken sabre set . Is it the same as the drunken ground rolling sabre ? I understand that WHF did a book on it ? Are copies still available ? Does anyone know it ? I would really appreciate some help as the drunken sets seem to be a rare part of mantis boxing with not much information out about them .

GermanMantis
03-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi Feelerstrike,

no it's quite different from the groundrolling sabre (LKW). It has some more acrobatik moves in it. I've only seen it on vid. So i can't say mor to it's origin nor to special techniques.
Best regards
Chris

Shaolin Dude
03-04-2005, 11:10 PM
my sifu knows a drunken broadsword form

CCY mantis
03-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Hello, Actually the set in question is called drunken ground hugging single saber. The WHF anniversary issue has this set in it also. I learned this set last year and it's one of my favorites. The drunken sets are usually reserved for disciples or graduates as they are pretty advanced. I havent seen LKW's version, but its probably different than WHF's version. I am from the Chun Chin Yee lineage and our version is slightly different as well. I don't know alot of people who play this set so I assume its fairly rare. Most people believe LGY added this set and the drunken monk's fist to the 7 star system. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. D

holymantis
03-05-2005, 02:38 AM
:D :cool:
hi feelerstrike,
hi CCY .
i have seen the drunken saber set too but not ground rolling set.

holymantis

German Bai Lung
03-05-2005, 03:54 AM
German Mantis mixed up some things.

First: there are no drunken forms in Sifu Leeīs Curriculum.
Second: no ground rolling single sabre form also!
Third: but there is a groundrolung "Double" sabre form in Sifu Lee Kam Wings Curriculum. Of course this set is totaly different to the mentioned sabre forms! :D

holymantis
03-05-2005, 05:41 AM
yes ,
i have seen that set. looks good .
what drunken set's are in mantis then ??.

holymantis

Siuhoimoon
03-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi everybody!

Iīve already seen a drunken broadsword form performed at a Wah Lum Anniversary Demo, by a sifu from Boston (donīt know his name, sorry guys). I donīt remember much of the form, but it had a lot of ground rolling moves, very similar with the ones performed with the double broadsword.

I donīt know if this is a mantis form, or if it is part of the WL curriculum (maybe this is a seminar form). :confused:

Maybe some of the old guys here could bring some light into it! :)

Peace

CCY mantis
03-05-2005, 04:31 PM
The 7star drunken saber set only has one part w/some rolling on the ground. It also has a jump spinning lotus kick to the splits thats always challenging. The drunken sets are rarely performed the same as there is a lot of room for personal expression. The only 2 drunken sets I know are the aforementioned saber set and the "drunken Monks Fist". I have heard of drunken jien, spear, and other open hand sets, but I have never seen them. WHF taught a drunken straight sword set I believe. The mantis sets tend to be not as flashy as many other drunken sets. D

holymantis
03-06-2005, 02:49 AM
hi all,
the drunken saber set with the front split's is that from the 40 year book by WHF.

holymantis

FEELERSTRIKE
03-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone ,
Thanks for the imput . The other drunken open hand form I believe is Zui Da Chang Men Sheng ( drunk beating guarding door deity) . I have never come across a drunken sword or spear before .
The drunken sabre sounds quite a challenge . I would love to see it demonstrated . Is it the Zui Da Di Dang Darn Dao set ?
Is the WHF book for this set still available as I would love a copy for my small collection ? It is impossible to find any good mantis books here in the U.K.

CCY mantis
03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
heres a couple pics from the anniversary issuue w/the drunken saber! Enjoy! D

FEELERSTRIKE
03-10-2005, 11:21 AM
CCY MANTIS ,
Thanks for the pictures , I shall have to renew my search for that book . It is a form I have often heard about but not seen . Thanks for sharing .

holymantis
03-10-2005, 01:53 PM
thanks CCY for the 2 pages that you put online

holymantis :cool: