PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight

IronMonkey
03-05-2005, 11:24 PM
I know the way to burn of calories and fat is through cardio exercises and stuff. But some of you know I cant do it cause of my stupid knee. Any suggestions on burning fat another way? Any way?

Chief Fox
03-06-2005, 08:13 AM
weight training burns calories and builds muscle that ultimately burns more calories. Another way to loose weight is to reduce your calorie intake per day. For example: Cut back or remove 1 thing from your diet and you'll probably see some weight loss. For me this is soda. If I didn't drink so much Dr. Pepper I could loose weight easily.

FooFighter
03-06-2005, 08:17 AM
There are several ways you can lose weight or bodyfat without doing conventional cardio.

1. Change your diet, consume less cals. This probably the most important thing to consider.

2. Think Health first and the rest will follow.

3. Circuit Training methods can be just as effective as conventional cardio when it comes to burning fat or losing extra pounds. A person came to my mind when writing about CT, Bruce Lee. I have read he used CT extensively during "Enter the Dragon" but then again he was doing other things as well. I am not claiming CT will make you turn into Bruce. LOL. Here are some suggestions which has helped me in the past: the German Body Composition method as published and taught bu strength guru Charles Poliquin, Pavel's KettleBell training shown practical results and it has helped me and some of my clients, and last but not least I hope,
Density Training from Scott Sonnon's Clubbell training aka Circular Strength Training.

Good luck in your weight lost.

Bao

rubthebuddha
03-06-2005, 11:22 AM
swim, then swim some more.

IronFist
03-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Swiming should work. It's pretty low impact on your knee, right?

Samurai Jack
03-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I've seen the wheelchair-bound using a machine that is essentially like an exercise bike that you pedal with your hands. Maybe there's one at your gym.

IronMonkey
03-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Swimming is what I can do for sure. Unfortunately, I always got to visit a friend's building cause I dont got a pool.

But yea, I'll intake less cals and stuff. I just need like maybe an inch of my stomach and I'll be lookin good :D

shixingrui
03-06-2005, 06:19 PM
There is one more small thing that you can do. Most people unless they know about this train after breakfast or after work. You want to really burn and lean out faster...train in the early morning before you have your first meal. When you sleep your body burns carbs, by the time you wake you have very little carbs left. That is why you are hungry and groggy in the morning. If you train before you eat which is what shaolin do...then the only thing left to burn is fat. You will burn fat from swimming or any type of cardio work. If you can not run but can walk do that also. Walking at a good rate is often more beneficial to your body. It burns the same as a run but without the impact if you were to walk on an incline. That can cause issues with your knee though so be careful.

But in the early mornings before your first meal! Works like a charm!

Vash
03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Actually, you tend to use much protein at night, as you're repairing tissues, et al.

And I'm not a big fan of pre-breakfast workouts.

IronMonkey
03-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Yea, during sleep, you burn alot, try out the calculators at hydroxycut.com Helps.

Mo Lung
03-06-2005, 11:43 PM
There is one more small thing that you can do. Most people unless they know about this train after breakfast or after work. You want to really burn and lean out faster...train in the early morning before you have your first meal. When you sleep your body burns carbs, by the time you wake you have very little carbs left. That is why you are hungry and groggy in the morning. If you train before you eat which is what shaolin do...then the only thing left to burn is fat. You will burn fat from swimming or any type of cardio work. If you can not run but can walk do that also. Walking at a good rate is often more beneficial to your body. It burns the same as a run but without the impact if you were to walk on an incline. That can cause issues with your knee though so be careful.

But in the early mornings before your first meal! Works like a charm!Man, 1986 wants it's fitness advice back!

You burn more fat post-exercise than during - it's called EPOC. Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption. Google it. Studies have proven that the higher intensity the workout, the longer the EPOC. Therefore, long slow exercise like walking will burn a lot less fat overall than high intensity exercise like HIIT.

For the same reason, training before breakfast is not particularly relevant. If you train in the morning, get some carbs into you and you will be able to sustain a higher intensity workout for longer, hence greater EPOC, hence better fat loss.

Walking on an incline will not burn the same amount of fat as running.

Now, when you extend the duration of your exercise, you can train your body to burn fat for fuel during training, which is a good thing, but it has less of a strengthening effect on the CV system overall.

Your body doesn't use many carbs at night. As Vash said, it uses protein to rebuild as most of your growth and healing is done during sleep.

Jax_316
03-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I personally like to do karate and work out. That's what helps me stay fit.

"It's water under the bridge. **** water, can't do a **** thing about it!"-Rouge of Time :D

shixingrui
03-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Peace...
Well glad to see you are all reading what is posted. I first want to apologize that I wrote the word carb not protein. My line of thought was that you burn all the proteins at night and that is why a Pre Breakfast work out is a good one for the only thing left is the carbs and fats. WHen you burn that you will get lean and lose weight with less effort. If you all you do is out more carbs in you have to burn the carbs that already exist and the additional ones that you eat. SO it is a relevant thing if you wish to target a specific problem like a little extra weight that just does not want to go. That is just basic fitness and what I was tasught during nurtiention and wellness training in college. It is taught by most fitness instructors.

It is also how we train in China and every school here does the same thing. You always go running and practice before your breakfast.

As for the higher intensity of the workout yes you are correct that higher intensity and longer times working are are better for you but I was specifically addressing some one that had a knee problem and could not sustain a high CV workout. Walking would burn a good amount of energy. IT has also been proven that low impact cardio is as effective as high impact cardio.
It is not how intense you do something but how long you do it! Meaning that you get your heart rate to its target and keep it there for 30 minutes or more. So power walking incline and back down is less stressful onthe body then running and jogging. Yet if you have a good swing in the arms and carry small hand weights you can reach your target heart rate and maintain and burn calories.

Mo Lung
03-08-2005, 09:01 PM
You didn't actually read my post at all, did you.

:rolleyes: