PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Sparring against other styles

Slayer
11-01-2001, 02:26 AM
I must say I am really lost when sparring againts other styles. The way we spar at my school we wont hit each other, we just punch past the opponent so we don't actually hit him without deveolping bad habbits ( pulling the punch ). I spar Karate guys and they wont repect my hits unless I actually hit him, and due the the result of steel shot bag training, hitting a guy with pads or not produces negative results if its a friendly sparring match. I can't break his arm, or his leg or anyother important bones. What do you guys do.

Slayer

"I never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain

[Censored]
11-01-2001, 02:46 AM
I'd say that missing your opponent is definitely a bad habit. :) Anyway, I would hit them again and again and again and again and don't stop until they do acknowledge it. You don't need to injure them, but you do need to remove the ambiguity.

whippinghand
11-01-2001, 03:41 AM
There's no such thing as a friendly match.

Gluteus Maximus
11-01-2001, 05:30 AM
If you want to spar with other styles and not just compare moves and tactics, you should both give it 100%. Pulling punches while sparring is worse than no sparring at all, because you run the risk of ingraining the habit of pulling your punches. The best way is to wear protective gear (apart from gloves, unless they're open-hand gloves). Then try to knock each other out.

Max

Yooby Yoody

rogue
11-01-2001, 06:12 AM
So do you guys actually spar? I've sparred two Moy Vat(?) players of differing skill levels. Both had no problem hitting, being hit or controlling their technique.

BTW, we all end up bruised with knuckles bloodied, but still on good terms at the end of the evening.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

CerberusXXL
11-01-2001, 06:18 AM
In any sparring situation you should always make contact, but you have to make sure it's a controlled attack.

EmptyCup
11-01-2001, 08:15 AM
I have never heard of any sparring equipment that prevents one from being seriously injured if both parties gave it their "100%"

You have to restrain yourself somewhat during sparring. Even a single punch is enough to knock a guy down...and body shots such as to the solar plexus are pretty hard to brush off...elbows not checked will still annihilate anybody through padding...

dedalus
11-01-2001, 10:31 AM
I just make light contact when I spar, and I feel impressed and disturbed when I touch hands with someone much better who can pepper my head and body with brushes and taps from his fingertips. If you're in an art that can generate short power, then you know that any of those strikes could be painful or deadly.

Karate folks don't often appreciate this. They can still be good to spar with, though, because you know you can get hit and you know your own art could be getting through on them too. It's a smug way to spar, but it isn't necessary to use full power in a learning environment. If you must show them what you're capable of, you could always demonstrate a short-range strike on a mit or bag.

chi-kwai
11-01-2001, 03:39 PM
looks like Wipey saw "Prodigal Son" one too many times.

--
chi kwai

fa_jing
11-01-2001, 06:55 PM
and let'm have it. Those bone breaks are hard to pull off for real, anyway. If you are into sparring without gloves, then you need to slap them or make some contact to make them respect you. You can spar in a controlled manner, no matter how much iron fist you have.
-FJ

Bessho
11-01-2001, 11:17 PM
Hey Slayer, I gotta agree with Rogue. Strap some pads on and see if your works. You might be in for an awakening. keep us posted.

Slayer
11-01-2001, 11:23 PM
So pads. Hum ......... I normally dont wear pads, but I guess some on my fists wouldn't hurt.