PDA

View Full Version : Importance of fook sau...

Duncan
11-01-2001, 05:39 PM
When I train in class, tan sau and bong sau are used heavily, but fook sau almost never (I haven't yet begun chi sau).

Some have described fook sau as one of WC's main defensive hand movements (with tan and bong).

Is this a universal trend... fook sau only really coming into play when reaching chi sau level.

Fook is focussed on during the first section of the first form, but we rarely use it during partner drills.

Any answers?

*Fook the lot of 'em*

reneritchie
11-01-2001, 06:14 PM
Tan Fook are sometimes referred to as Yum Yeung (Yin Yang), so if you're already familiar with Tan Sao, applying that paradigm should give you umpteen insights into Fook Sao.

Rgds,

RR

S.Teebas
11-01-2001, 06:48 PM
Fook sau is like a punch. Roll the force till it is gone then roll the fook into a punch (ie similar structure). WC is an attacking art... this puts them in a bad position and you in a good one. 1 move and you have defence and attack. What more can you ask for!

Duncan
11-01-2001, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the response.

Helps clear up a few loose ends and has given me some ideas for drills I could practise with other wingchunners.

Rene - loved the Complete Wing Chun book. How much time did you spend researching it :eek:

How long have the two of you (only two responses to this thread :( )been training?

*Fook the lot of 'em*

dzu
11-01-2001, 09:09 PM
Actually, I think of Fook as more actively offensive in the sense that lop sao, pak sao, gum sao, jut sao, etc are part of this family. Tan and Bong can be offensive, but they seem more subtle by spreading the force out. You can crash, press, or wedge in with Tan and Bong, but Fook sao is the 'subduing hand' after all, and seems just a tad more aggressive.

Dzu

Bessho
11-01-2001, 11:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rene Ritchie:
Tan Fook are sometimes referred to as Yum Yeung (Yin Yang), so if you're already familiar with Tan Sao, applying that paradigm should give you umpteen insights into Fook Sao.
[/quote]

Strange. I heard a gong sound when I read that. Um ah thanks. I think ;) Is that in-yo contrast a YKS phenom? I never heard it but then I never met a YKS player.

reneritchie
11-02-2001, 08:02 PM
B&B - Thanks for the kind words, I spent roughly 5 years on specific research for that book. My co-authors also spent significant time on it, especially Robert Chu. I've been training since 1990.

Besho - I think Dzu has trademarked the "Gong" 8) I think Yum Yeung should be present in all lineages of WCK.

Rgds,

RR

whippinghand
11-05-2001, 04:59 AM
How could you train Tan Sau and Bong Sau without training Fuk????

That makes no sense.

reysem
11-05-2001, 10:09 AM
One of the first drills in wing chun that I learned is tan,fook,bong drill. One partner punches 3 times and the other partner blocks with tan sao then fook sao then bong sao. Then the drill continues with the partners changing roles (the punching partner will now do the blocking). Tan sao, fook sao, and bong sao are the 3 seeds of wing chun. I wonder why fook sao is seldom used in your (Black and Blue's) class.

Ish
11-05-2001, 02:40 PM
wing man. that sounds like dan chi but i think i do it a bit differently to you, i also started to practice this quite early on in my training

whippinghand
11-08-2001, 03:49 AM
What makes tan, fook, bong the 3 seeds of Wing chun?

chi-kwai
11-09-2001, 11:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One of the first drills in wing chun that I learned is tan,fook,bong drill. One partner punches 3 times and the other partner blocks with tan sao then fook sao then bong sao. [/quote]

This is called 'yut fook yi' ... we do something similar to this early on. Initially the pattern is |:tan/pak/tan/bong:| but it can be used in any combination. it is taught to show one how to use the same arm to defeat two or more quick attacks. Rather than a series of three punches, we do it continuously against chain punches. After the concept is grasped, it is done against two quick punches while the exponent is set up in the hao ma.

--
chi kwai

Bessho
11-10-2001, 12:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rene Ritchie:
Besho - I think Dzu has trademarked the "Gong" 8) I think Yum Yeung should be present in all lineages of WCK.

Rgds,
RR[/quote]

Hi Rene - sorry. I ment the yin/yang relationship between fook and tan. could u elaborate a bit? Of course yn/yg has to be in all lineages of wck, all martial arts even.