PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about squats!!!

Tsai li fu
03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
What kind of squats do you do, how many? Got any programs...post it here!

TangLangCh'uan
03-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Hey Tsai,
As far as squats go, I do them in my regiment of lifting. Usually about 3 sets of 12 reps @ 150 lbs. I don't think I'm going to go much higher with the weight, as I have noticed that my kness can get rather sore some days. In addition to the standard squats with weight, I also do hindu squats whenever I feel the need. Those I perform pretty much until my thighs are scorching, and then I'll stretch my legs out good so as to avoid them knotting up. Word of advice, if you are planning to start doing squats, LEARN PROPER FORM ! It is very easy to hurt your back if you do this exercise incorrectly. Go to any gym and look at the huge guys doing squats. They all wear lifting belts because alot of them either:
a) don't have proper form and either know or don't know it
or:
b)have injured their backs in the past while doing squats.
Good luck.

-christopher

Chief Fox
03-08-2005, 09:21 PM
I usually warm up with about 12x135lbs. Then I gradually move up to 6x225lbs. All squats are done @ss to grass with a 2 second delay at the bottom.

AndrewS
03-08-2005, 10:53 PM
1x a week, dynamic effort box squats, +/- chains, +/- manta ray, box height from above parallel to well below, sometimes onto a soft cushion

6-10 doubles with 45 second rest interval, on a 3 to 5 week wave, 60-80% RM1

Max effort squats different flavors about 30% of ME days (fiance would mutiny if we did good mornings 70% of max effort lifts).

Overhead squats for 10x3 every 10-14 days depending on what's going on with my oly workouts.

Front squats every 14-21 days- been working up to a 6rm, will probably switch to 5x3 with 80-90% RM1. 6rm just s*cks too much.

Snatch squat presses every 14-21 days, 10x3

Trying to go gentle on my volume ATH as between the above and snatch drops, I get some repetiitive motion wear on my L knee, partially 'cos of my R external hip rotators being excessively tight.

Sometimes, I'll hit a couple of front squats on the end of my power cleans (i.e. 3 power cleans, folowed by 2 front squats), just for entertainment- a nice way to do some front squats without adding a separate exercise in.

With the above, I squat 2-3x a week on average.

Andrew

Toby
03-09-2005, 04:11 AM
Program: PTP

Squats: at the moment I've been using chains for a few cycles. At the end of a cycle, about 350lb at lockout for 5 reps.

helmutt
03-09-2005, 04:59 AM
i've heard that squats are especially bad on your knees. is this true ?

FngSaiYuk
03-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Yep, if you do them wrong. Find someone who has really strong knees that squat a lot and learn from them.

Chief Fox
03-09-2005, 08:44 AM

This is absolutely FALSE! But is a common excuse not to do them.

Chief Fox
03-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Yep, if you do them wrong. Find someone who has really strong knees that squat a lot and learn from them.

If you do any weight lifting exercise incorrectly it could be harmful. Saying that squats are harmful if you have bad form is given.

FngSaiYuk
03-09-2005, 09:00 AM
If you do any weight lifting exercise incorrectly it could be harmful. Saying that squats are harmful if you have bad form is given.
Yah, I just didn't finish posting the rest of what was goin' through my mind - like, bench presses are are harmfull - if you do them wrong, military presses are harmfull - if you do them wrong, ballistic weight lifting is harmfull - if you do 'em wrong... etc, etc...

::grin::

IronFist
03-09-2005, 12:22 PM
The squat is a very technical lift, but if you do it properly you'll get stronger; not injured.

In fact, barbell squatting is safer on your body than leg extensions or Smith machine squatting.

fa_jing
03-09-2005, 02:18 PM
http://t-nation.com/forum_images/.1109796530566.squat.gif

Merryprankster
03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
3 sets of ten, right now at about 235.

I got to at least parallel. I usually JUST break parallel in reality.

I do wear a weight belt because of previous back injuries, not squat related.

I agree with Iron about safety. The sheering stress created by machines on your knees is TERRIBLE for them. I only use the smith machine for rehab.

If I were limited to only one exercise, I'd do the clean and press. A close second is the squat.

Mo Lung
03-09-2005, 06:21 PM
http://t-nation.com/forum_images/.1109796530566.squat.gif
The question is, could he stand up again?! ;)

fa_jing
03-09-2005, 10:27 PM
The question is, could he stand up again?! ;)

Yes. Twice, apparently. 640 x 2 at a bodyweight of 170. Idalberto Aranda.

Mo Lung
03-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Good effort!

fa_jing
03-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Well I just gained 55 lbs on my squat in about 5 weeks using the Smolov base phase with some logical adjustments. I tested it tonight. I got 315 Baby!!! Hi-bar ATG no belt. This is my most satisfying lift ever. That may change though...can't wait to check out the carryover to other lifts...

I had never even done a squat above 245 before in a set. I could do 3 shaky reps when I started the program. I used 260 as a calculated max after failing on my initial test with 265.
Some of my gain was in fact due to better form. Hitting all those tough sets and reps in the volume phase really taught me to use everything correctly. I gained about 7 pounds as I have been eating along with it. Alot of that weight gain took place last week as I didn't lift. I was at about 206 at the time of the lift this evening.

Also I lifted the 90's in the dumbell bench press for 6, 3, 4, 3. That's also a major PR. I'm really starting to learn how to harness the stretch reflex from the negative in my lifts. Even the first rep in the DB BP you engage the stretch reflex as you lay back into position for the lift. I guess unless someone hands you the DBs, but I start seated with the DBs on my thighs.

Anyway after this Deadlift comp on Sunday and two weeks of a switching phase I'm going to do the second half of the Smolov which is a high intensity peaking cycle. This will shoot my squat past 350 in a similar time frame.

I'm really paying for these squat gains, though. It's a controlled overtraining cycle, followed by things like tapers and recover periods. I was getting irritable at a certain point. You also temporarily lose certain types of flexibility. It will be nice to take a long break from heavy lifting and go outside and work out the kinks with kettlebells and stuff.

Tsai li fu
03-14-2005, 02:36 PM
But any of you do any Human body weight squats? Alot of you use weights and dumbells which is nothing wrong with that.

fa_jing
03-14-2005, 08:07 PM
I worked up to 400 hindu squats about two years ago. Then I got into kettlebells and now barbells. I still may do a few Hindus here or there but it's rare. I also like wall squats where you face the wall, point your toes out at about 45 degrees with the toes touching the wall, put your arms over your head and squat all the way down. I do just a few reps of those for stretching mostly, but they could be used in a workout.

I've also done lots of pistols and weighted pistols. Another cool bodyweight exercise is the airborne lunge.

Mo Lung
03-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Another cool bodyweight exercise is the airborne lunge.
Airborne?

:confused:

fa_jing
03-15-2005, 11:47 AM
ok, a video would be worth a thousand words here. You start standing on two feet. Lift one foot back by bending it at the knee. Now stick your arms forward by sticking them out like superman. Lean forward simultaneously about 20 degrees by folding at the hip and let the knee of the raised foot seperate backwards from the plane of the other leg. Now bend the standing leg until the knee of the raised leg touches the ground behind you. If you were to let the toe of the back foot touch the ground at this point (you shouldn't) then you would be in the bottom position of the standard lunge. In fact, this can be a way for people to work up to performing the maneuver who lack the balance, strength or flexibility. You'll need to compress the abs to keep your balance. Now press yourself back up to standing without letting the toe of the back foot touch the ground. Cool exercise, right? Hope that helped.
Hey, I found these corny photos on the net: http://precisiondocs.com/~altaoism/AirborneLunges.htm

Mighty Mungbean
03-15-2005, 04:08 PM
I noticed that most of you guys are working high weight and low reps. Power lifting style. How does that help in your martial arts? (Honest question, not sarcasm.) I supplement my income as a group Fitness Instructor at one of our local gyms. I've just recently trained in the BodyPump fitness class which is a barbell class set to club-kid style high energy feel good music. It works all the major muscle groups with high reps and relatively low weights. The current squat track we are working with contains over a hundred squats. Some of these are done at a slower count than others. I'm currently lifting around 42lbs (including the bar) for that track. What I've noticed is a dramatic increase in muscle endurance (I do BodyPump three days a week) which has really paid off in my Mantis classes. Oh yeah, I also gained two inches in my thighs after my first month of training. My wife really likes that :cool:

FngSaiYuk
03-15-2005, 04:12 PM
I noticed that most of you guys are working high weight and low reps. Power lifting style. How does that help in your martial arts? (Honest question, not sarcasm.)
Power & speed.

Oh yeah, I also gained two inches in my thighs after my first month of training. My wife really likes that

Yep, chix dig thickness...

Mo Lung
03-15-2005, 04:49 PM
ok, a video would be worth a thousand words here. You start standing on two feet. Lift one foot back by bending it at the knee. Now stick your arms forward by sticking them out like superman. Lean forward simultaneously about 20 degrees by folding at the hip and let the knee of the raised foot seperate backwards from the plane of the other leg. Now bend the standing leg until the knee of the raised leg touches the ground behind you. If you were to let the toe of the back foot touch the ground at this point (you shouldn't) then you would be in the bottom position of the standard lunge. In fact, this can be a way for people to work up to performing the maneuver who lack the balance, strength or flexibility. You'll need to compress the abs to keep your balance. Now press yourself back up to standing without letting the toe of the back foot touch the ground. Cool exercise, right? Hope that helped.
Hey, I found these corny photos on the net: http://precisiondocs.com/~altaoism/AirborneLunges.htm
Nice. Like an easier pistol in some ways. I'll have to play around with that.

fa_jing
03-16-2005, 11:05 AM
Right. It is slightly easier than a pistol. Well, probably due to the reduced range of motion.

MightyMungbean: I think as long as you continue to make progress, the workout protocol is valid. For now the routine has given you increased mass and strength, but those types of gains will plateau quickly. This kind of work is good though, because it prepares and conditions the body for more direct intensive exercise.