PDA

View Full Version : When do you know you need to take a break from the web forum?

SPJ
03-11-2005, 08:16 AM
I have been posting in Chinese forums before. About a year ago, I started to post in this forum. It is tough to post CMA in English!. Certain things are just plain difficult to post in English.

I noticed that some very good posters started to lose their calms and become hysterical if somehow, other members do not see their ways.

Personally, it is a message board. We post some bits of info related to MA in general. We may back them up with personal experiences and some references.

That is it. Who cares if someone disagree or not? Maybe there are reasons they think differently. I usually would repeat one more time my views and why. If still disagreed, I let it go.

Truth is always relative. Some boy like a big girl. Some like a thin supermodel girl. The definition of beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

So when do you know that it is time to take a break and focus on something else?

:confused:

red5angel
03-11-2005, 08:28 AM
When you start to ask when its time to take a break from posting on a forum.

SPJ
03-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Yes, indeed.

:D

SPJ
03-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Think 3 steps ahead and do not lose your coolness.

So when I was in high school, I played Chinese chess 围棋 with a retired general. I lost all the time. I was so upset. And wondered why and how.

He said think 3 steps ahead and do not lose your cool.

If I am going to do a move, think about the opponent's possible countermoves. And then my counter counter moves.

Never lose the cool. Then moves are reactionary and not thought out.

So I take the lessons to my debate club.

And to the MA classes, too.

red5angel
03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
sometimes one appears to lose his cool to throw his opponents off balance.

MasterKiller
03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
When you start to look like this. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/050311/photos_hl_afp/050311133810_uzzeaqbb_photo0&e=5)

David Jamieson
03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
mk, that was in bad taste dude. :(

Royal Dragon
03-11-2005, 09:42 AM
LOL!! @ the 36th Chamber!!!

ewallace
03-11-2005, 11:34 AM
When I take a year or two haitus from the forum, come back, and topics about Iraq are still on top of the threads.

GeneChing
03-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Web forums are relatively new to the world. We're still defining its parameters. Personally, I think it's an amazing media, very positive for global relationships. The major downside is that most people are rather poor writers and cannot express themselves well on a forum. The medium of writing allows for a lot of projection - theater of the mind, if you will. I think since we're martial artists here, we all have a bit of a chip on our shoulder and that, coupled with poor writing skills, often creates antagonistic situations. Face-to-face, we could have most of these debates without incident.

Web forums can be horribly addictive. As part of my charity work, I've worked with plenty of addicts; just because the web is not an ingested drug, doesn't mean it's any less addictive. Take gambling, for instance, there's another horribly addictive behavior where nothing is ingested. After administrating this forum for so long, I've had to deal with plenty of casualites. At first, it really surprised me what an effect it has on some people. Now, it's par for the course.

As a general rule, if your dealing with something addictive and you feel you need a break - TAKE IT! By the time you get that feeling, it's probably too late. red5angel is completely right about this. The power of irony is that there's a kernal of truth.

SPJ
03-11-2005, 09:09 PM
I do not really have any expectation coming to this forum. So it is all cool.

I was in MD and veterinarian forums.

They absolutely gave me headaches. There are reports and researches agreed to all sides of the story.

I was expecting to know more as a clinician.

Nope, I got confused and do not know what to believe anymore.

So I go by my own experiences and take textbooks as textbooks only.

What ever is proven and updated consensus, I agreed and adopted.

SPJ
03-11-2005, 09:29 PM
I feel sad for the wrestler and his wifey.

How do I channel the negative energy? We all feel frustration, anger, and depression etc from daily life.

I usually take a swim, focus on breathing or doing Tai Ji.

If I really am stressed out, I punch the punching bag. The harder I punch, my fist hurts more.

So I know that the negative things hurt me more than anything else.

Now why hit your wife or girlfriend?

If you have basic respect for all living things and of course another human?

Do not take your negative and dish out on your partner.

Do videogames make people violent? May be so. I played more strategy game then hitting or shooting games. Why? I got bored with shooting and hitting very soon.

So how many fake dudes or gals you need to hit or shoot to get how high a score or point?

Yawn and Yawn.

Guess what when you are tired with your triggering fingers, you will be hit and shot, too. There is no final win. Sooner or later, you will be shot, hit and LOSE.

Strategy games are different, you may actually outsmart the computer and win. Assuming you are smarter than the machine of course.

Take the challenge of the mind.

Leave your punching and hitting to the punching bag.

Sad.

I preached too much.

Mo Lung
03-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Web forums can be horribly addictive.So true.

Hi everybody. My name's Alan and I'm addicted to Kung Fu Magazine forums.

(As if it's just this forum!)

:(
:)

Becca
03-12-2005, 12:36 AM
when you start getting angry at someone. when you can't post a veiw different from the forum big-wigs whithout backlashing and flames. When you forget which of your personas you are using at the moment. If you have ever logged on to the wrong screen name by mistake. when your family knows little of what's going on in your life, but some guy named YouKnowWho probably does... :eek: :p

Dao
03-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Here is a story of what happened to some other martial artist on a different thread. This is when i think you've been posting on the forums too much.

In the Gaia Online forum, there were two guys that couldn't stop argueing against each other about martial arts, so they wanted to prove themselves in real sparring. So they arranged that one of the guys would take a plane trip to the other guys house. They would sparr and whoever lost would have to pay the air fare. This story ended well with them becomeing friends after the fight and gaining more respect for the other. However this seems like going over board in the forums in my opinion.

GeneChing
03-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Dao: That's a great story. I do not think that was going overboard at all. Anytime you make more friends, it's worth any investment.

Becca: How do you know so much about what's going on in my life? :eek: :p

SPJ: You know, I was thinking about this thread and it occured to me that if it's getting personal, if you let a troll get to you, that's really on you. Trolls are a pain, but it's easy enough to rise above it. The basic strategy is to draw you in - to make it personal, make it one-on-one by repsonding to you point-by-point - then you're playing their game. Then you lose. But the thing about forums is that it's never one-on-one. Or I should say, it's one-on-one with an audience. If some troll goes psycho on you with flaming posts, and you respond point-by-point, you'll never win. You're on the defense then. You've paid the toll to the troll to cross the bridge, but he'll just raise the fare on the way back, so you're not off the hook. What's the solution? Realize that most of our members can spot a troll pretty quick. All you got to do is draw the troll out from under the bridge and expose him to light. We'll all see his hideousness, and then you win.

Of course, if that troll is speaking some truths, then it's a different game entirely. That's what makes flame wars fun to read. We get to watch the struggle...

SPJ
03-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice.

I had a very bad cold since last week.

Need to talk to the CPA later today and to file an extension for coporate tax.

My brain is under 99% drowsy mode. Sore throat, congested nose.

--

Thanks again.

:o

Becca
03-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Wasn't pointed at you, just some things I've noticed from lerking over the years. (this is the only forum I post on, for the most part.)

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-15-2005, 03:18 AM
i just stop checking the forums for a little while here and there. its not something it think about ... it just happens. then one night ill be eating in front of the computer or ill finish up my work early and have nothing else i want to do and ill come back. then i stay for a while.

i do the same thing with uo, but the forums are much more healthy and friendly.

spj ....

why you got to be hatin on shooters? i play shooters all the time ... are you calling me violent???? huh??? do i sound ****ing violent to you *******? you mother****er ... ill shoot you in your ****ing head you **** *****. **** this ... i might not be able to get to you but my girlfriend is going to ****ing pay for what you said. violent my ass. mother****er.

SPJ
03-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Shooting with tactics and strategy I like, too.

such as Delta force, Navy seal etc.

Cool.

red5angel
03-15-2005, 08:48 AM
GDA these forums or the UO forums are more healthy and freindly?

GeneChing
03-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Sometimes I long for a break. It's like the merry-go-round that I can't get off. But my situation on this forum is unique so you should definately avoid my example.

This thread brought another thing to mind for me (slightly OT) - the people who leave the forum in disgust and do some sort of pathetic sign-off post like "you won't have **** nixon to kick around any more". Now there's someone who should have left the forum one post earlier. I mean really, it's just a forum. We have this attachment to it - or rather to how we appear on it - and that often clouds the reality that it's just a forum. Don't go away mad. That's just silly. If something bothers you, just go. It's like sahing 'every time I go down to that park, they make fun of me'. There's an easy solution. Don't go to that park. But announcing that your not going anymore like "you're gonna miss me when I'm gone" that's just more reason for us to make fun of you. :p

Shaolinlueb
03-15-2005, 11:33 AM
you take a break when you find yourself refreshing the page every 10 seconds to see if there are any new responses for you to argue with.

red5angel
03-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey Gene, what about those guys who write those long goodbye emails and STILL don't go away!!!!! :D

GeneChing
03-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Oh yeah, those are the absolute worse. Talk about your whiners. That's what I like about martial arts. You can always pummel the whiners. Unfortunately, that doesn't work on a forum - or at least it's not as satisfying...

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-15-2005, 08:28 PM
GDA these forums or the UO forums are more healthy and freindly?

kfo is much more healthy and friendly than the game itself. i meant that i do the same thing with the actual game. even if i haven't played uo for nearly 2 years i know that i'll pick it up again one day at least for a month or so .... or at least ill keep doing that as long as there are free servers around.

SPJ ....
Shooting with tactics and strategy I like, too.

such as Delta force, Navy seal etc.

Cool.

hey what about ravenshield? i'm all about the ravenshield.

Chang Style Novice
03-15-2005, 08:40 PM
I took my break because it seemed like I'd read everything already. Even the new threads.

YuanZhideDiZhen
03-17-2005, 03:03 AM
when you find that you're baiting someone by posting just because you know you'll push some buttons by whatever you say...

when your favourite thread at the moment is dominated by someone who has you seething before you reply...

and you begin stalking the person with satellites...

and broadcasting his web id on syndicated radio...

or barnstorming his house with a rented beechcraft...

or even building a house in his neighborhood just so you can jeer a little more...

I only log in once a week. and don't reply to flamer sparks and trolling. that way i can spend a few hours in enjoyment reading and posting without getting involved in the heat like on 'what would you have done': 12 pages in less than a week. then there's red5 and kung lik. they're always fun and informative.

GeneChing
03-18-2005, 10:15 AM
when you find that you're baiting someone by posting just because you know you'll push some buttons by whatever you say... That's so wimpy. The forum is all about pressing buttons. Come on, YuanZhideDiZhen, get with the freakin' program!
bait, bait, bait.... ;)

norther practitioner
03-19-2005, 12:13 PM
lol, concidering he just took it hook line and sinker the other day.... :rolleyes:

and he likes his wings crispy..

YuanZhideDiZhen
03-23-2005, 01:12 PM
That's so wimpy. The forum is all about pressing buttons. Come on, YuanZhideDiZhen, get with the freakin' program!
bait, bait, bait.... ;)

Am I Baiting enough now, master? why won't the fish bite the hook? they just sniff the bait and swim away. maybe they're affraid of *what's on land*! :p

GeneChing
03-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Am I Baiting enough now, master? Did YuanZhideDiZhen just call me a master baiter? :mad: ;)

ewallace
03-23-2005, 03:35 PM
You know you post too much on KFO when you have been gone from the forum a while, then you come back and your boss says "your production has decreased dramatically...are you having problems at home?"

YuanZhideDiZhen
03-26-2005, 10:30 PM
as its spelled? yes.

as it sounds? i'm not willing to drop a line in. :rolleyes:

so how's the TEMPLE CHALLEGE comming?

it'll be time to take a break when you can convice the qing-lyk to control his breath. :cool: