PDA

View Full Version : Opening a can of worms...

mantis108
03-11-2005, 03:37 PM
On the other thread there are some interesting point being raised by Youknowwho. I thougt that since it's been quiet here on the KFM Mantis board, may be we could open a can of worms for reviving the forum.

First and foremost, all my usual caveat applied. This is not meant to be a put down or anything but straightly for discussion purposes. I do not speak as authority on the subject but rather express my opinion on the matter.

First a recap:

Our ancestor tried to fool us, The 8 forbiden strikes are those you should strike. Illegal moves in sport are effective moves in combat. Another example that one should not always believe in the book. The finish strategy (how to kill) is a important part of the CMA training but hidden in those words (8 forbiden strikes). Instead one should work on those "8 forbiden strikes" and make it effective. You don't need to train in 8 strikes but you definitely need to train in 8 forbiden strikes.

- Taiji PM merged Taiji into PM.
- LH PM merged LH into PM.
- Baiji PM merged Baiji into PM.

If you train XingYi and PM at the same time then will you do PM on one day and XY the day after?

In my openion PM is the best fighting system in the "striking world" (hope I won't be called style biased). But even the best fighting style still have room to improve. If you can improve your PM and pass down that to your next generation then you won't be just a "copy machine". Instead you have "contribute" to the CMA world.

How to do that? Take each moves from your forms and try to apply it in fighting. You then record your experience and things that you like to modify. Finally reflect that experience back to the original forms.

1) I think some people may feel that way about the 8 strike and 8 forbiden strikes. In a way, I think my English translation of Ba Bu Da is really not very accurate. Forbiden strikes is somewhat of a misnomer. Personally, I believe that in Mantis "Ba Da, Ba Bu Da" is meant to be an abreviated lesson on pugilistic anatomy. But some teachers may chose to emphasize on the morality issue of miming and/or kill another human being.

2) - Taiji PM merged Taiji into PM.

As far as I am aware, Taiji Tanglang DOES NOT incorporate Taijiquan into the system. This is a common misunderstanding. Certain branches (ie CCK TCPM) in reality have a seperate Taijiquan curriculum so that the integrity of the styles maintains the same. If individual teacher deciding to do things differently then it should be noted and explained clear in the first place.

- LH PM merged LH into PM.

I think you are talking about Luohan Tanglang? This is a tough one without knowing where your information comes from. IMHO this is more myth than facts. What, if any, from Luohan was adsorbed into Mantis? Is there physical prove (form or techniques) of that? In what branch of Mantis can we see that merge?

- Baiji PM merged Baiji into PM.

I think this is from Su Yuchang's WuTang organization, right?

3) I used to think it's okay to do a few arts at the same time but I eventually just come to focus on Mantis. If I need to practice something else, I will set it on a different day. So yes I do seperate the styles to practice.

4)
In my openion PM is the best fighting system in the "striking world" (hope I won't be called style biased). But even the best fighting style still have room to improve. If you can improve your PM and pass down that to your next generation then you won't be just a "copy machine". Instead you have "contribute" to the CMA world.

I would agree. H@ll, I agree with you here. Evolution is a good thing but not at the expense of sound and solid principles of the system. They are there for a reason. If not we can just go and do JDK or MMA instead of Tanglang.

5) Nothing wrong with your advices and thank you for sharing. But generalization is dangerous. Assumption is the mother of all f#ck ups. I would caution making sweeping statements. Mantis as a style is enormous. Sometime seens odd and out of place might be there for a reason. So be patient and investigate before drawing conclusion, my friend.

Regards

Mantis108

jwwmantis
03-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Very well put. As for 3) I would say to stick with one style initially if not forever,but train/spar against those that train in another style/discipline and build from that. From experience I can tell you its better to concentrate on the one style. And if that one style is a whole, then everything will work out fine. A whole system must have kicking, punching, throws, and chin na, which mantis does have. A person should be able to utilize each of these 4 ways effectively. Interesting topic.

jwwmantis

BeiTangLang
03-11-2005, 04:59 PM
I am not a carbon copy of my Sifu by any means. He is not a carbon copy of his.

I have seen some attempt to be carbon copies of their instructors & while I can admire their copying skills, I cannot help but think that they are completely missing the point of the system.

Do I have to add another system into mantis to make it more effective?? Not to date. I've never had anyone complain that I was deficient in the attacking or defending departments. Do I encorporate Tai Chi, JKD, Wing Chun, ANYTHING into my mantis to make it work better? No.
I have seen some folks add movements they think is from another system(or family of mantis) into 7* mantis & call it a great revelation, while the principles they are speaking of I have already considered & have seen in the system already.
I have even heard a school (mantis) say that they were brushing up on Wing Chun moves to take us on better during mantis touch-hands.......?????
WTF? is all I can think of on that statement.

So, whqat exactly is wrong with passing down the texts/learnings/forms/techniques/principles/forms of the past verbatim?? Not a single d@mned thing is wrong with it, thats what. The system was built with diversity in mind; you can see that in its principles & theory.

Saying the system needs revising is like telling me the sun needs to be a little hotter for you. Not what you need, not what you can handle, not what works,not what you can get by with, but what you want. A perfect example of why lawsuits are so rampant...people wanting something for nothing....people wanting to have mantis without actually training in _MANTIS_ but making stuff up & calling it mantis beacuse they do not have the patients to learn what mantis is supposed to be to begin with.

Evolution is not needed when you have an understanding of how varied this system can actually be, just the vision & dedication required to make the system your own in how you use it.

Best Wishes,
~BTL

jwwmantis
03-11-2005, 07:25 PM
All four of these methods counter one or the other. For example, Judo defeats kicking, however, is countered by chin na. Thus, if you are missing one piece of the puzzle then you can be defeated (being hypothetical of course). I first learned this from a well-known Chinese Master.

jwwmantis

SaMantis
03-11-2005, 07:31 PM
ewww, worms. :p

You learn:
- TKD to be good in kicking.
- Boxing to be good in striking.
- Aikido to be good in locking.
- Judo to be good in throwing.
- BJJ to be good in ground fights.
- Chinese weapons to be good in "cold weapons".
- Gun shooting to be good in "hot weapon".

I'm not sure why you would need to learn all those separate arts to be good in the principles they illustrate. Particularly if you study PM.

For example, in tonight's class we studied kicking, striking, locking, throwing (well takedowns mostly) and Chinese weapons. We left out the "hot" weapons because there was a new guy in the class and we didn't want to scare him off. ;) :D

jwwmantis
03-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Thats what I was saying in message #2 above.

SaMantis
03-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Thats what I was saying in message #2 above.

Sorry -- somewhere between your post and YouKnowWho's list my rusty brain kicked into gear. :)

Take the locking for example, By using the 1st 7 star Bong Bu form #36 the wrist lock, any Aikido guy would use it to destroy his opponent's balance but in PM it's just a "stand up locking". The lower part of the body movement (foot work) are missing in the PM form.
I don't know that form so I won't try to reason out the exact difference. However the question that should be asked when comparing the move in each style is, "Why?" In the PM form what moves come before and after that particular wrist lock; is the player advancing or retreating; what is the (perceived) attacker doing? What is the intent? Same for aikido. Also in Bung Bo I'm sure there is some kind of footwork involved (I have yet to see a form that didn't); its purpose should be determined just as the aikido move's purpose was determined.

jwwmantis
03-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Sorry -- somewhere between your post and YouKnowWho's list my rusty brain kicked into gear. :)

Thats fine.

I don't know that form so I won't try to reason out the exact difference. However the question that should be asked when comparing the move in each style is, "Why?" In the PM form what moves come before and after that particular wrist lock; is the player advancing or retreating; what is the (perceived) attacker doing? What is the intent? Same for aikido. Also in Bung Bo I'm sure there is some kind of footwork involved (I have yet to see a form that didn't); its purpose should be determined just as the aikido move's purpose was determined.

That wrist lock is shown as a stand up in the form only. This is due to the oppoenent reading the lock, neutralizing it, and doing a spinning hit with the other hand. There is some motion forward to help generate the body power. Using the lock a specific way will really depend on the person doing it. Thus, several applications can come from one technique in the form. If you get the chance check out Dr. Yangs Shaolin Chin Na book (he has a new one out). It gives a good explanation of the history of Chinese chin na and its probable root for akido and juijitsu.

SaMantis
03-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Cool -- good info, thanks

mantis108
03-12-2005, 12:26 PM
About Liuhe... Thus I have heard, once upon a time, Wei De Lin (1780 - 1873 CE) never called his style Liuhe Tanglang. It was introduced as Liuhe Quan Tanglang Shou which was a result of meeting(s) with Li Er Guo (aka Li Bingxiao). As far as I am aware, the Liuhe (Weito Men) Quan that Wei practiced was not the so-called internal Liuhe style which abvocate Wai San He and Nei San He as its major tenet. But I could be wrong or things might have been changed for whatever reason. Having said that I am not a Liuhe Tanglang practitioner so I will just leave it at that.

I believe what surfaced now is attribute cross training (ACT). BTW, where do you find time to do mantis when you are so busy doing every thing from TKD to Marksmanship? ACT isn't really a new idea and definitely not a bad idea. Honestly there is quite a bit of familiar air of JKD. The actual idea that internal stuff and Shuai Chiao integrate with Mantis already being done in 8 Step Mantis. So, I am not sure if we are going in circles discussing this and trying to come up with a better way of reinventing the wheel.

While speed is a major attribute of Tanglang, where do you think that attribute came from? There's more to it than just being faster and faster. It is said that Liang Xuexiang, who was the progenitor of many Tanglang lines, could break a wall with his hip elbow. This is during his older age (60 yrs old?). So clearly Mantis isn't just about speed. There are a lot more to mantis than just speed IMHO.

If we are interested in publishing a thesis, how about trying this topic for size? Please discuss "The Quest for Immortality - Intricate Relationship between Tanglangquan as enlightenment through pugilistic means and Tian Ren He Yi worldview." Please observe from historical, philosophical, theorectical, and pugilistic point of views. we could also include cultural pov and worldview of Chinese. Now that's your PhD assignment for Mantis, my friend. ;)

Regards

Mantis108

Tainan Mantis
03-12-2005, 05:02 PM
About the above question which PM form has hip throw.

It is in the form Tang lang Shou-Mantis Hands. An old form passed on in Taiwan by Master Wang Songting.

It is also in several other forms and I have seen it called "Emptying the Pocket"

In Luohan Gung later roads the moves are exact representations of throws you will find in Judo and Shuai Jiao such as this hip throw.

Chinna is of a highly accomplished nature in some branches of PM and works directly of the strikes.

This can be seen by 8 Step Master Wangjie in Taipei, descendant of wei Shiaotang.

Also, my Shiye Luan Xingfu of Meihua PM specialized in this.

The PM form da Lien Huan Tuei has over 60 kicks with almost not a single repeat. Infact, I think that single form has more kicks than the entire taekwon do style.

The problem is that there is too much material, which to practice?

Also, most PM schools don't have a convenient place to practice throws and so it is easy to neglect that aspect of the system in favor of other aspects that can be practiced anywhere.

Three Harmonies
03-13-2005, 12:44 AM
First of all there is no such thing as the style Baji Tanglang, that is Su Yu Changs organizations name. For sure the Wu Tan's Mantis is heavily influenced by Baji, but there does not exist a style to the best of my knowledge.
I am not sure why some of you are analyzing "styles" so eagerly?! Maybe I do nto understand the root question, but a simple answer is..
Your fighting syle should have it all regardless of which style it is! If you are not as fast as you should be....train to get faster! If you need to work on power, do not look to a style "known for it's power," but rather train the proper power building in your style. Etc ETC ETC ETC.
Mantis would arguably be the epitome of this concept though, since it is a compilation of 18 styles ;) !
Everything you need SHOULD be in your training! If not, you better re-analyze your training / teacher / organization /dedication etc. Both of my teachers (Hu Xi Lin and Tim Cartmell) emphasize training shuai -na- ti -da in all aspects of our arts! If you are weak somewhere, realize it, act upon it, and do not be ashamed! If you start to make excuses as to why you do not need to learn something (groundwork for example) then you are only doing yourself a diservice.

Cheers
Jake :D

Three Harmonies
03-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Tainan
What system is Da Lien Huan Tui set from? Any footage on it?
Thanks
Jake :)

German Bai Lung
03-13-2005, 03:36 AM
Take the locking for example, By using the 1st 7 star Bong Bu form #36 the wrist lock, any Aikido guy would use it to destroy his opponent's balance but in PM it's just a "stand up locking". The lower part of the body movement (foot work) are missing in the PM form. In LF that wrist lock will be combined with a "stealing step".

YouKnowWhat: trying to be innovative without the needed substance is of no use! Itīs okay to evolve and search for new ways, also to look on your forms from different angels but it is needed to know your stuff.
If you want to critisize techniques of the Bung Bo and transfer this to the whole system, you must have an overview of the whole system.
Forms and applications are not the same as freefighting, imo. You must transfer the techniques and know what mantis is about. If your teacher didnīt teach you the way you feel it is necessary, you canīt judge the system for that.
If you got, maybe half of the systems forms you find almost all the answers if you are looking for them.
And that a single handtechnique lacks the Footwork in "one" form, didnīt mean the footwork isnīt there in the whole system!

Tainan Mantis
03-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Hi Jake,
I do have nice footage of the form and I am willing to post it, but I am busy right now so it will have to wait. It fits into the same mold as the three hu yen forms. The best known being Xiao Hu Yen.