PDA

View Full Version : Fear factors

SPJ
03-12-2005, 08:55 AM
When I was young, mom would say do your math homework well, or someone will cheat you out of your money and wealth, if you do not know your math.

Do your Chinese homework well or someone will laugh at you that you do not know how to read or write.

On and on.

Once I started to study, I like the homework. I always finished homework. I did them, because I found them interesting and fun. No need for the fear factors.

In MA, it is a laborious "chore". Who likes to repeat the same thing over and over? I practice them, because I like to.

Practice Wushu and do not practice Gong or basic skills drills. When you get old, everything is empty.

练武不练功到老一场空. Lian Wu Bu Lian Gong Dao Lao Yi Chang Kong.

Do you have fear factors in your school of MA?

What is your motivation to study?

Other then to kick someone's arse or not to have your arse kicked.

:D

David Jamieson
03-12-2005, 09:31 AM

''kungfu''

Dao
03-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm motivated in martial arts because of the skills that I develop through it. My teacher doesn't realy use scare tactics to get us practicing moves over and over again, he just says, "Its better to know how to do one thing really well then a thousand things not so well".

Starchaser107
03-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Do you have fear factors in your school of MA?

Yes and no.
Fear is not instilled in us as part of our training. But fear or should i say overcoming our own personal fears play some role in the training. For instance with regards to tumbling , some students are more fearful than others, fearing that they may hurt themselves while performing a roll , not even a dive roll , sometimes even a basic roll from a crouched position. Same goes for falling kicks etc. Eventually a student learns to overcome thier own fears that limit them and take the next step.
Sometimes students are fearful of sparring because they fear that other students who are more agressive may injure them. So they don't spar, they don't evenshow up on sparring nights to watch. I think this is a big problem for those students, After some words of encouragement a few may decide to participate regularly. But I think this is by and large the biggest fear factor. and unfortunately the one that's most important to overcome. Simply because martial arts is all about fighting, and nothing can teach fighting other than fighting.

Well
my motivation to study martial arts is to improve myself. I belive that I should endevour to be the best I can be physically. And expose myself to as much as possible to improve myself mentally.
I also find it fun, and addictive. :cool:

IronFist
03-12-2005, 03:24 PM
not to have your arse kicked.

:D

That's pretty much it.

g0pher
03-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Sparring at my gym is a problem as well. We have free form sparring only once a week and about 4 people show up (not including myself). Knowing forms may impress a novice but you can't really bring out the form (or even put your own character into the form) unless you spar... But I must digress. We go full contact with the exceptions of 'no face hitting' and 'no elbows' and someone always ends up bleeding or with a swollen shin. I suppose everyone fears something.

Motivation -

My reason is quite simple... I'm doing the college thing and I graduate in 2 semesters but I mainly go to college because it's important to my family. And before I started taking Kung Fu my life felt pretty empty and unproductive. Sure I was making good grades, but I was just looking for something more, and I then came across my school one day by accident and have been there ever since.

... And I don't want to get jumped by high school kids. :p