PDA

View Full Version : Hooked or addicted?

SPJ
03-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Before there is the newspaper, then it is the radio, and TV; and now it is the internet.

People take great interests and then spend too much time.

From reading daily papers, mags, listening to musical, talk show, drama, sermons, news etc on radios, watching everything on TV, now is searching and reading or viewing video/audio clips on internet.

If you take great interests in something and spend regular time daily, you are hooked. or 着迷

If you feel something wrong, without getting e-mails, posting or replying in a forum.

Then you are crazed or addicted to the internet. 汥

Do you know you are hooked or addicted to the internet?

Do you know you are hooked or addicted to your MA practice?

When is it that enough is enough?

Or there is never enough?

:D

Vash
03-12-2005, 06:27 PM
If something enhances your life, your health, and your spiritual well-being, it is enough.

If something interferes with your life, your health, and your spiritual well-being, it is too much.

Moderation is the key. Enough, not too little, not too much.

It's like boobies - more than a mouth- and two hand-full's is a waste.

ZIM
03-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Addicted (http://www.thefrown.com/games/stackthecats/) :D

SPJ
03-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Excellent post.

There is a fountain of water. We only need to drink as much as we need.

There is the treasure site of golds. We only need to bring what we need.

There is the well of knowledge or info on the net. We only need to search what we need.

There is the wealth of life and MA. We only need to learn what we seek.

So the question is that what we seek or we need out of life and MA.

The internet, mags, papers etc are various venues to seek more info, if we know what we need and what we want.

I am twisting my tongue tight.

To know when or what is enough?

Dao
03-12-2005, 08:43 PM
If something enhances your life, your health, and your spiritual well-being, it is enough.

If something interferes with your life, your health, and your spiritual well-being, it is too much.

Moderation is the key. Enough, not too little, not too much.

If you only spend time on the internet on the internet without bettering yourself, then it is a waste. What Vash here said is very true, and the Guantama Buddha himself supported certain things in moderation. But for now, I'm just going to go do something. Sighning out (for now) :cool:

SPJ
03-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Let us go deeper.

This is one of my favorite Chan stories.

Information and knowledge is like a seed. A seed of wisdom.

Seed A said Mr. Wind leave me here under the big old tree. There is the big shade. I do not have to worry about rains or sunshines. I will not be drowned or dried. I will be fine. So the Seed A landed and died shortly afterwards.

Seed B said Mr. Wind take me far where I can experience real life rain or shine. Seed B landed on an open ground. The evening moisture helped him to grow roots into the ground and gain more water. The sun starts to shine on his stem and leaf. In no time, a young tree starts.

So what do you do with your info from the internet?

To use the knowledge in real life and grow into a tree of wisdom and bear fruits of wisdom.

OR let it sit and die?

ZIM
03-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Let us go deeper.

Well OK.

There once was a man who had figured out the speech of animals.

He walked into town, listening to birds, etc. until he came upon a furious scene.
At the corner, a dog was barking at a braying donkey.

The dog was shouting at the donkey: "All you ever do is talk ON and ON for EVER about HAY and GRASS and all I'M waiting for is for YOU to start talking about BONES and where all the CATS are!"

The donkey was shouting back: "HAY- it's all that matters, you idiot mongrel!"

The man decided to intervene. He said, "Well, its all perfectly understandable. You see the hay serves the same function as bones and meat for a donkey..."

Both of them stared at the man for a moment, dumbstruck.

Then the dog charged him and bit his legs, whilst the donkey turned around and neatly kicked the man in his forehead, killing him instantly.

Then the dog and the donkey got back to arguing over whether hay or bones were better....

=====

That's the internet. Or forums, whatever. :D

HearWa
03-12-2005, 10:33 PM
It's interesting this was posted. I find it very funny how I can always find a thread on a topic I am currently contemplating on these forums...

Anyways, I am trying to get over being hooked to online message boards. I've noticed that if you read them enough you'll eventually have so many conflicting opinions in your head you'll eventually forget which one is yours. I'm not talking about reading a few posts a day, but hardcore lurking at least three hours a day.

I always thought I was learning something from message boards until I realized I'm just learning trivial facts or small morsels of knowledge, and not the whole thing. I've recently decided to cut my forum time back to roughly a half hour a day and spend the rest of the time doing something else. And hey, it's paying off all ready. I was messaging some lesbians who happened to have a webcam yesterday. Ahh, the joys of the Internet. Screw you guys! :D

Forums are great, but talk is cheap. I've never understood that more until just recently.

SPJ
03-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Cool story.

Dog will be dog. Donkey will be donkey.

Man will be man.

The internet forum is a place with a congregation of people barking woofing, yeehawing or shouting.

---

And the wise will know and see thru all the woofing and yeehawing.

---

:)

David Jamieson
03-13-2005, 08:32 AM
The "wise" don't bother with these places.

SPJ
03-13-2005, 09:01 AM
People are social or like to belong to and associate with a group.

I lived and worked close to Manhattan.

People there on 42nd street central station or even in the central park, I found they were all with cell phones talking to someone in distance.

And not so much talking or greeting with people right in front of them. People are in a rush from one place to another for work or whatever.

I had a weekday off. I took a stroll and enjoyed the scenes and birds around me.

Internet gave people access to a lot of things.

My point is that no e-mail, internet forum, cell phone etc may take the place of actually hand shaking and a talk face to face in business or leisure.

Cyber hookup and cyber dating with videocam for people in different cities or countries.

Borrowed time? Borrowed space?

--

:confused:

MasterKiller
03-13-2005, 02:40 PM
The "wise" don't bother with these places.
Even the wise get bored at work. :p

SevenStar
03-13-2005, 04:20 PM
true dat. very true.

David Jamieson
03-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I have to retort with:

"The wise don't work at boring jobs"

SPJ
03-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Or the wise "masters" the job.

And not that the job "enslaves" the wise.

Becca
03-15-2005, 03:45 AM
Too much? I think I have crossed that line in MA for the first time. I used to say "oh, well" when I couldn't scrape up the money for a seminar (which is usually). But latey I have been getting almost dispondant. Is that too much? Yep. I think it's time to step back for a bit, and train on my own for a few months... I hate it; can find 101 reasons to hold off taking a break... But when push comes to shove, I think it's for the best. I'm getting to the point I don't think I put enough into my class if I can stay awake at work that night or can walk from here to there without a leg locking up from cramps... :(

red5angel
03-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Too much? I think I have crossed that line in MA for the first time. I used to say "oh, well" when I couldn't scrape up the money for a seminar (which is usually). But latey I have been getting almost dispondant. Is that too much? Yep. I think it's time to step back for a bit, and train on my own for a few months... I hate it; can find 101 reasons to hold off taking a break... But when push comes to shove, I think it's for the best. I'm getting to the point I don't think I put enough into my class if I can stay awake at work that night or can walk from here to there without a leg locking up from cramps... :(

Being "addicted" and making it a part of your life are a fine line and in our society today, that line gets more blurry with the need to sell medication and psych evals. At one point a man who dedicated every waking moment to the pursuit of martial arts was considered focused. Now you hear things like "life balance" and addiction being uttered.
In your case Becca, is it that you want these things so bad you go out of your way to get them when possible, or is it so bad the rest of your life, where it's important to you, is suffering?

Becca
03-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Being "addicted" and making it a part of your life are a fine line and in our society today, that line gets more blurry with the need to sell medication and psych evals. At one point a man who dedicated every waking moment to the pursuit of martial arts was considered focused. Now you hear things like "life balance" and addiction being uttered.
In your case Becca, is it that you want these things so bad you go out of your way to get them when possible, or is it so bad the rest of your life, where it's important to you, is suffering?
My oldest boy needed to go to the dentist and I seriously consitered putting off the apointment so I would have the money for said seminar. :eek: :( Only for a split second, mind... The instant I realized what I was thinking, I got very ashamed of myself... Discided it was time to take a break, to get out of that mind set. That kind of dedication is great form some. But I'm all my boys got; I can't blow them off just because I want to do something else.

red5angel
03-16-2005, 08:18 AM
My oldest boy needed to go to the dentist and I seriously consitered putting off the apointment so I would have the money for said seminar. :eek: :( Only for a split second, mind... The instant I realized what I was thinking, I got very ashamed of myself... Discided it was time to take a break, to get out of that mind set. That kind of dedication is great form some. But I'm all my boys got; I can't blow them off just because I want to do something else.

Well atleast it sounds lie you realized there was an issue! Nip it off at the bud before it really does become an addiction.