PDA

View Full Version : Mo Dak

Hendrik
03-15-2005, 08:00 AM
This is another of my sharing that is not for everyone. So please ignore this post if it is not for you.

What is Mo Dak ? imhhho undestanding, the closest which I can translate MoDak is a combination of 5 components:
1, Awareness,
2, Humanity,
3, Humbleness, 4, Appreciation,
and 5,do the right thing.

the awareness, humanity, and humbleness show a person's character of vast, open hearted, instead of egoistics and narrow. thus as it said as it said help and protect weak and misfortune. one sea has another sea which is deeper.

the chinese trandition saying : drinking the water always remember where the source of the water. that is about appreciation.

Da kong wu sher in mandarin or -- be public minded to benifit others with no seeking for self/private benifit --is a say for do the right thing.

so, a combination of these 5 components is Mo Dak.

Mo dak is not about self-rightousness, not about gang up to set and protect set a code of honor. These are a totally opposite of Mo dak.

So MoDak is an action/expression / character of one.

Imhho

Hendrik
03-15-2005, 09:33 AM
some have written me to ask me so what is Yi which is oftern being translated to be Righteouness?

IMHHHO, in my understanding.

YI simplily means public mindedly doing the right things in a humanistic way and not ask for a return.

IMHHHOOOOO

Hendrik
03-16-2005, 07:52 AM
Imhho, in my understanding, in general, there are two major issues which determined whether a chinese martial art system is fully transmitting or not to a certain people beside the usual concern of if the student has the talent and capability quality .

The two issues are 1, Humanity 2, Appreciation.

Humanity means one doesnt do to other what one doesnt like.

Appreciation means be able to appreciate the art and the effort of the teacher. instead of looking at the art as something money can buy and viewing the teacher as a sales men. art is not a dead product but it has life like a pot of growing flower in the ancient Chinese martial artists view.

the mentality is that
while passing a pot of beautiful growing flower the reciever needs to ingenously (Sp) appreciate the flower and the people who grow the flower. it is beyond money exchange or transaction .

those who appreciate the growing flower and the effort of the person who feeds the flower daily for decades will be able to continous on to practice feeding and growing the flower. so, it is not for sale and for the appreciate.

As an example,
From my own lineage,
In Yik kam writing on SLT transmission, it was recorded that before Miu Soon passed away, he told Yim Yee ' this art is mine invention based on the white crane and another style I have master; thus, it is different from white crane.
Please Appreciate and taking good care of this SLT and passed it only to those who understand humanity ...'

Just some thought to share with who likes to understand how the mentality behind the chinese tradition. imhho

Hendrik
03-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Appreciation practice is also a practice of Awareness.

To be able to truely appreciate every small or big thing happen around one is expanding one's Awarenesss. When it becomes a habit, then one will be aware of things around one.

Humanity is also a practice of Awareness. Being Aware of others and oneself are same type of living being lead one to humanity and compassionate that transcent one beyond one's ego to see things clearly as it is.

So, IMHHO, MoDak is a practice of Awareness. it is beyong culture or tradition. it is about living itself.
And Practice of Awareness never being switch of whether it is in daily living or combat.

IMHHO, It is all about Awareness manifest in different dimentions and area of one's live. Mo Dak, platform, enegertics, contact-ability are just a different manisfestation of Awareness.

Awareness is that simple, crystal clear, efffective, to the point, silence, living in Now.......etc

And, within Awareness there are levels....

Just some thoughts

kj
03-17-2005, 04:13 PM
I appreciate your reflections, Hendrik.

Regards,
- kj

PaulH
03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
I always practice the golden rule: "Woman first." Ahum! Well...Hendrik...U know me and I know U. Amen! =D

Hendrik
03-17-2005, 07:41 PM
I always practice the golden rule: "Woman first." Ahum! Well...Hendrik...U know me and I know U. Amen! =D

Is it any chance you get beat up by your sisters to remember that "lady first"?

I still have low awareness when it comes to open the shorping mall's door for my wife. So, hahaha, I need to appreciate more about the door to let me know I am un aware!

see, i have lots of things in live to improve.

Hendrik
03-17-2005, 07:42 PM
I appreciate your reflections, Hendrik.

Regards,
- kj

Thanks Sis!

PaulH
03-18-2005, 11:07 AM
I learn from my charming sisters in my early boisterous youth that words to the right ears can cause big trouble at home. So I always have a healthy respect to the power of the lowly tattle tale bearers. =D

Who ever said woman, frailty is your name? My life hangs on the balance between the overly protective Mon as well as the dominating Dad! Joie de vivre!

P.S. Of course KJ is not my sister and these preambling thoughts is not me, Hendrik! =)