PDA

View Full Version : Green Tea and Cancer

red5angel
03-15-2005, 08:25 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7187847/

FngSaiYuk
03-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey add that to this thread - http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33798

Ming Yue
03-15-2005, 10:36 AM
well no wonder I'm so dang healthy. :D

I have one of those single-serving coffee pod machine thingies, and I found some very tasty green tea pods for it. mmmmm.

now if I can just find some green tea flavored syrup for my snoopy snow cone machine.

FngSaiYuk
03-15-2005, 10:41 AM
now if I can just find some green tea flavored syrup for my snoopy snow cone machine.
ewww... I drink green tea 'cuz it's good for me... but for the taste?! and on a SNOW CONE? wow... your taste buds sure are different from mine...

red5angel
03-15-2005, 12:50 PM
I love Green Tea. My mothers english so I grew up, literally, drinking black english tea with lots of cream and sugar. Now I drink Green Tea with a little sugar and it's great.

FngSaiYuk
03-15-2005, 01:00 PM
I love Green Tea. My mothers english so I grew up, literally, drinking black english tea with lots of cream and sugar. Now I drink Green Tea with a little sugar and it's great.
I don't remember exactly where, but I've run across the notion that 'sugaring up' green tea reduces it's benefits. Which is why green tea has always been bitter for me - no sugar.

Does anyone have anything authorative on this?

red5angel
03-15-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm of the opinion that often times people claim that sort of thing out of ignorance. I'm not saying your info is bad, but I had given that some thought and decided that it's probably hear-say and not much else. People tend to jump on the bandwagon pretty easily that things in their purest form are better then anything modified. Regardless my guess is that it doesn't dilute it so much that you don't get the benefits.
Oh, and to clarify I use Sweet and Low.....

Ming Yue
03-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Green tea has a chemical that lowers blood sugar, so by adding sugar you're negating that effect. Otherwise, adding sugar/milk/lemon doesn't reduce the health benefits.

Decaffeinating green tea reduces the antioxidant properties, though, by about 3%.

interesting:

Green tea's tannins have the ability to bind readily with ceramics (the same principle that causes green tea to leave stains on mugs and teapots). New research reports that green tea extracts yield a compound that works faster than traditional compounds and may reduce the cost and environmental impact of hard-drive manufacturing. The high availability and biodegradability of green tea would also make it a less-expensive option for polishing the magnetic heads in hard-disk drives.

IronFist
03-15-2005, 01:30 PM
I drink two cups of green tea per day and two cups of airborne (one tablet in each) and take a GNC Megaman multivitamin each day and I still got sick for the last week. :D

FngSaiYuk
03-15-2005, 01:32 PM
I drink two cups of green tea per day and two cups of airborne (one tablet in each) and take a GNC Megaman multivitamin each day and I still got sick for the last week. :D
Ahh, but did you take the 8-10hours of sleep each day as well? I find out of just about everything, sleep, or rather, lack thereof, is what ends up being the single commonality whenever I get sick.

Mo Lung
03-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Not enough cardio. ;)