PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Mc Dojo?

Disciple
03-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Hello,

I am looking into a school that teaches wing chun and karate kenpo (I'm only going to study kung-fu) and it looks alright but a bit pricey. The website is http://www.haineskenpo.com/index.htm

Vajramusti
03-16-2005, 07:11 PM
There is zero information on that page re wing chun.

Why are you thinking of doing wing chun there?

Disciple
03-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Because right when I walk down the street I see a big sign that says: "Kung Fu" ;).

What I meant was the price. I could see for myself if it's fake (with the help of a few FAQs over the internet). It seems like a lot of money to me.

SAAMAG
03-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Bruce Lee's Original Style.
Direct and efficient.
React by touch alone.
Subtle, internal art form.

Authentic Instruction in Yip Man's Hong Kong Style

Bruce Lee was the most famous martial artist in recent history. Yet, his original style, "Wing Chun", remains a rare and obscure form of kung-fu. I am proud to offer instruction in this kung-fu treasure to my community.

Wing Chun was created by a nun at the Shaolin Temple in China named Ng Mui. Ng Mui was one of the five Shaolin masters who escaped the burning of the temple and an attack by the Manchu soldiers. Ng Mui, inspired by the combative contest between a crane and a snake, developed a new style of kung-fu. Her first pupil was a beautiful girl named Yim Wing Chun. Yim Wing Chun was being forced to marry the local town "gang" leader. She of course did not love him, but knew if she refused him that she and her family would be threatened.

The nun convinced Yim Wing Chun to have the marriage postponed for one year while she learned kung-fu. Then, if the local "gang" member could defeat her in the match, she would marry him. He agreed to the contest and Ng Mui prepared her pupil.

Ng Mui trained Yim Wing Chun to use the line to defeat the circle; the soft to overcome the hard; timing to defeat power. Yim Wing Chun won her freedom and in honor of her skill, Ng Mui named the style after her first pupil.

We invite you to come and see for yourself the benefits of health, personal safety, and self achievement that kung-fu training offers.

Well we know he at least heard the story! As far as whether the wing chun is "authentic", that can only be known through first hand experience.

Phil Redmond
03-16-2005, 08:15 PM
There is zero information on that page re wing chun.

Why are you thinking of doing wing chun there?
All I saw was this.
http://www.haineskenpo.com/wingchun.htm
PR

SAAMAG
03-16-2005, 08:43 PM
All I saw was this.
http://www.haineskenpo.com/wingchun.htm
PR

Isn't that what I just posted Phil? :p

Ultimatewingchun
03-16-2005, 09:57 PM
There's a link there that says: WING CHUN

And judging from the one and only photo there of the instructor doing some wing chun (which was not impressive)...and coupled with the fact that the description given of wing chun is so general...and given the fact that there's no mention of who he trained with or for how long - I would say...

McDojo.

Phil Redmond
03-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Isn't that what I just posted Phil? :p
When I made my post yours wasn't there :D
PR

Gangsterfist
03-17-2005, 09:34 AM
He apparently has 110 black belts that have gone through his system.

http://www.haineskenpo.com/blackbelts.htm

old jong
03-17-2005, 12:28 PM
It has that "Junk Fu" smell!...
Anyway,it is very hard for a karate guy (Kenpo) to forget his hard ways when practicing Wing Chun...Forget about teaching it!...

Gangsterfist
03-17-2005, 12:36 PM
It has that "Junk Fu" smell!...
Anyway,it is very hard for a karate guy (Kenpo) to forget his hard ways when practicing Wing Chun...Forget about teaching it!...

OJ-

I have several years of Ryukyu kempo karate under my belt. I was about to take my brown belt tests when I had to move and quit. I take wing chun, and yes there are some habits I had to let go, but honestly they were not that bad. My sifu holds a black belt in okinawan karate as well.

Its not that its hard to learn different systems, its the fact you have to train hard to learn one system, and then once proficient enough, go cross train. Too many people cross train too early or when their wing chun skills are not developed enough. Then that developes lots of bad habbits.

However, I digress, it totally does depend on the individual. I was suggesting look up one of his black belt students and see what they have to offer. A student does reflect on the teacher's ability.

tug
03-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Can he do that? Does this mean he trained with YM, or is he just name dropping?

reneritchie
03-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Did he offer you fries with your Wing Chun??

old jong
03-17-2005, 02:13 PM
OJ-

I have several years of Ryukyu kempo karate under my belt. I was about to take my brown belt tests when I had to move and quit. I take wing chun, and yes there are some habits I had to let go, but honestly they were not that bad. My sifu holds a black belt in okinawan karate as well.

Its not that its hard to learn different systems, its the fact you have to train hard to learn one system, and then once proficient enough, go cross train. Too many people cross train too early or when their wing chun skills are not developed enough. Then that developes lots of bad habbits.

However, I digress, it totally does depend on the individual. I was suggesting look up one of his black belt students and see what they have to offer. A student does reflect on the teacher's ability.

I just said that "It is very hard" to do!...Not impossible.But,I bet he was in Kenpo before he learned Wing Chun.What is more difficult?...Wing Chun after karate or karate after Wing Chun?...Chances are that the two styles will end up very similar.

Ultimatewingchun
03-17-2005, 03:37 PM
"I'll have a cheeseburger, double order of fries, and some wing chun to go, please?"

kungfu cowboy
03-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Whenthis (http://www.manties.net/) is the selection of school uniform...you know there's trouble...or maybe not!

Disciple
03-17-2005, 07:27 PM
lol. You guys are funny!

Anyway, I still haven't gotten the chance to check out the Wing Chun place yet but I will... Eventually...

EDIT: BTW, I think that wing chun was just an add-on to make more people come to study. Which means more money.

couch
03-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Mish-Mash, I was taking a bath, all upon every Tues and Thurs night, between 6 and 7pm.

Gangsterfist
03-18-2005, 08:57 AM
I just said that "It is very hard" to do!...Not impossible.But,I bet he was in Kenpo before he learned Wing Chun.What is more difficult?...Wing Chun after karate or karate after Wing Chun?...Chances are that the two styles will end up very similar.

My sifu started training in wing chun when he was really young. Around 5 - 7 years of age. He learned karate later on b/c he was fascinated by it. He has also trained in taiji and choy li fut.

You can cross train but you should only do it after you have several years experience in the current martial art you train in. That is my opinion. I want to cross train in either tai hui or in choy li fut but I am going to wait a few more years until my wing chun skills are more refined. Wing chun is my sifu's favorite and most trained art though, and I think that if I do cross train I will be the same. Wing chun will probably always be my base and my most practiced art.

tug
03-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Whenthis (http://www.manties.net/) is the selection of school uniform...you know there's trouble...or maybe not!

Don't forget, there's always the "mansseire" to make one feel all warm and fuzzy up top.

(unless you're on Kramer's side with the "bro") :D

Disciple
03-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Sadly, the school is closed today. But It's open tomorrow so I'll go check it out but this is an e-mail I got from him after asking him questions.

Glenn,

We teach traditional, Yip Man style of Wing Chun.?We do sparring but more emphasis is placed on Chi Sau (sticky hands).?We do have interschool tournaments involving students from our different locations (our last tournament had about 200 competitors.?We do not participate as a "school" in outside tournaments -- but if you want to attend you are welcome too.?Classes are 45 minutes in length and Wing Chun is the last class of the night so if you wanted to stay and practice afterwards you can.?(Usually we are either doing a private lesson or paperwork for 30-60 minutes after class ends.?Wing Chun is an art some study for a month -- and some for a lifetime.?The benefits grow the longer you train.

Thanks for your interest.

Trevor

PangQuan
03-18-2005, 04:57 PM
If he is actually certified by the French Fencing Federation as a Master at Arms, then this is actually impresive and he at least knows how to handle a rapier. As for the Wing Chun...Well we all know how kung fu can be thrown into a school just for the name, to get the students fond of CMA.

Disciple
03-19-2005, 10:27 PM
I dare somebody to e-mail him and ask him if he runs a McDojo, then tell us his response. That would be classic. :p

Firehawk4
03-20-2005, 05:15 AM
He runs a Mckwoon.